Official 2008-2009 NFL Offseason Thread

watching the DEs workout on NFL network...michael johnson is a specimen...i wouldn't mind trading down to mid 20s and grabbing him if the top 4 tackles are gone when we pick at 18

whitesoxbrian, i agree with you on Tyson Jackson...I know it was Kiper who said we would take Jackson, and usually I like Kiper, but no way in hell we take him. the only place he fits in our scheme is inside as a tackle and we have tommie, adams, izzy and harrison...

Edited by daa84

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
This isnt homerism because for the most part I didnt like him at OSU, but Robiskie could be a pretty good fit for the Bears. He can stretch the field, runs good routes and can catch the ball in traffic.

After putting up a solid 40, there is no way a guy like Robinskie falls to where we pick in the 2nd. I want the Bears to draft a WR early as well as well as sign a veteran like Harrison or Holt (preferably Holt). Combine them with Hester and Bennett and I'll be very content.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 23, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
watching the DEs workout on NFL network...michael johnson is a specimen...i wouldn't mind trading down to mid 20s and grabbing him if the top 4 tackles are gone when we pick at 18

Everyone knew Johnson would be a workout warrior. I don't want him in the first round, as the only thing he's actually good at ON the field is blocking kicks.

Marvin Harrison is going to be released in the next day or two... think he would come to the bears?

I'm guessing not, because were not really ready to contend (on paper) and he's from Philly and could play with McNabb rather than Orton... not a hard choice there.

Also, If I've offended Marvin Harrison in anyway I apologize and pray that he wont use karate moves on me, or shoot me.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 03:48 AM)
Marvin Harrison is going to be released in the next day or two... think he would come to the bears?

I'm guessing not, because were not really ready to contend (on paper) and he's from Philly and could play with McNabb rather than Orton... not a hard choice there.

Also, If I've offended Marvin Harrison in anyway I apologize and pray that he wont use karate moves on me, or shoot me.

It was rumored earlier that Bears were interested in Torry Holt, he is getting older but I wouldnt mind having Holt around for 2-3 years.

I will go on record right now in saying that if somehow Andre Smith is available when the Bears make their selection that we should take him without a seconds hesitation. I can't believe how big a deal is being made of him not working out at the combine. Smith is a special talent that you simply DO NOT pass on.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 07:27 AM)
Dan Snyder strikes again.

It is really unreal how he just throws top dollar at everything in sight. I thought he was supposed to be some great businessman

How is it the Redskins are able to throw so much money around than any other team seemingly with a salary cap. It was just a pipedream but doesnt mean I wasnt imagining a Tommie Harris/Albert Haynesworth duo terrorizing QB's.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
How is it the Redskins are able to throw so much money around than any other team seemingly with a salary cap. It was just a pipedream but doesnt mean I wasnt imagining a Tommie Harris/Albert Haynesworth duo terrorizing QB's.

they just pay the penalty for being over the cap and move on

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
I thought the cap in the NFL was hard? If not, what does the penalty for going over look like?

Im trying to dig it up right now, this is the best I can find so far, feel free to add to it

http://www.docsports.com/current/nfl-salar...-rules-031.html

Unlike some of the other leagues, the NFL has a hard cap. That means that teams must be under the cap at all times, and they face stiff penalties including the nullification of contracts and heavy fines if they exceed the cap at any time. The amount of the cap is set each year, and is a portion of the revenues of the league. The cap was first set in 1994, and it was $34.6 million. It has been increased every year since, and is now at $116 million. That amount represents 63 percent of the defined gross revenues of the league over the course of the year divided by the 32 teams in the league.

There is also a salary floor - a minimum amount that teams must spend. That currently is at $98.8 million, which is 85.2 percent of the cap. That floor will be increased by 1.2 percent each year until it reaches 90 percent in 2012.

Signing bonuses and other guaranteed payments add a complication to signing bonuses. As long as a player stays with the same team over the course of a contract the guaranteed payments are prorated evenly over the course of the contract. If the player retires, is traded, or is released, though, then things get complicated. If the change happens before June 1 then the entire remaining bonus must be applied to the current season's cap. If it happens after June 1 then the impact on the current season is unchanged, but the rest of the bonus is applied to the next year's contract. That's why June 1 is such a key date for player moves.

Incentive payments - contract rewards players earn by reaching statistical milestones - are also a problem. They are split into two categories - likely to be earned (LTBE) and not likely to be earned (NLTBE) - and treated differently. The LTBE bonuses are counted against the current salary cap, while the NLTBE bonuses are not. In the next year, adjustments are made to the upcoming cap for the LTBE bonuses that were not earned and the NLTBE bonuses that were.

The salary cap is calculated using the 51 highest salaries on each team's 53-man roster. That might seem significant because it means a team has two free players, but since they almost certainly will be at the minimum salaries it is not a significant savings, and it does little to provide flexibility for teams. Instead, teams have to be more creative to come up with ways to make things work. In partnership with the NFL Players Association the league has come up with one such way. A veteran who is willing to sign for the veteran minimum salary of $810,000 and have no bonuses in their contract only counts $425,000 against the salary cap. Several teams have used this approach, but none better than the Patriots who have used this loophole for Tedy Bruschi, Randy Moss, Junior Seau, among others.

Managing the salary cap has become more and more of a science every year. Though teams had a casual approach to it when the cap was originally implemented because it was new and unfamiliar, they now employ several people charged with understanding and manipulating the cap to maximum advantage. The math of the cap is at least as important as any other factor in player decisions these days.

After you finish this feature be sure to view Doc's /Suicide Pool page. Our super bowl futures odds page is also a valuable tool for your NFL research. If you plan on betting NFL you'll also want to read our NFL Season Win Total Predictions page. For 35+ years the team at Doc's Sports Service has provided and insight on NFL handicapping.

The salary cap in the NFL has its problems, but it certainly works better than many other leagues' approaches. It has kept costs under control, and has allowed any team that manages their resources well to be competitive regardless of their market size. Despite the success, it seems likely that the salary cap will undergo significant change at the end of the current collective bargaining agreement because the NFL Player's Association is not happy with their current share. As with all labor struggles in sports, this one has the real potential to get ugly.

http://andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/12-14cba.htm

This just scratches the surface of the complexity of the NFL's salary cap. There are several elements that go into it. What happens to teams that go over the cap? In theory, that shouldn't happen. That's because the league must approve all contracts and it's job is to make sure no one exceeds the cap. It has, however, happened and teams can be fined or lose draft picks.
Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:40 AM)
On a side note, how much money has DeAngelo Hall pillaged in the last three seasons. Holy cow, 54 million?

Yeah, complete madness.

They're going to cut Springs or trade Carlos Rogers also.

If I'm a trade looking for a CB (the Lions), I try to trade for Rogers. He was argubly Washington's best CB last season before they brought in Hall.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Pretty good move by the Bears IMO.

Addressing the RT position is definitely a step in the right direction... Omiyale probably picks the Bears because he will be able to start here. Hopefully Chris Williams and Omiyale will solidy those spots... if not the bears will be in trouble.

I wonder if Jerry Angelo would consider trading for Derrek Anderson. It looks like the Browns are trying to get rid of some of their economic waste, and Anderson must be a costly back-up for them. Its unclear how good Anderson might be, but it wouldn't hurt to have another QB with experience in camp to challenge/push Orton.