2010 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
\Merkin just put a piece on Chisox.com about the potential to still add a DH.

Just read it.

Ozzie was right. Thome is too likable. I can't hate him, but he plays for the only team I dislike more than the Cubs. Makes me sick.

Also, he had the SoxNet nod in the article, mentioning the A-Gon rumor.

In the the steroid era pitchers had to pitcher more carfully as the long fly ball was now a home run hence walks went up. Also striking out is no long an issue so guys can do the old Nick Swisher and rely on the umpire to call ball four or strike three on a close pitch.

As our good friend Hawk always told us. It is easy to win with hudson, Mulder and Zito.

Beane is a real good GM but I do not think he reinvented anything. He also plays in the worst hitters park in baeball with the huge foul territory.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
He turned down $6 million. I genuinely am wondering if he might retire. No one is offering him more than that.

Looks like Oakland is offering Damon 1 year - $7M.

And that Tampa may be offering him more.

If I were him and Tampa offered similar money, it's a no brainer.

He'll get alot more exposure playing in the AL East, which he and Boras would want to help create a market for him in 2011.

Plus, his game might not translate well to playing in that tomb in Oakland.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
In the the steroid era pitchers had to pitcher more carfully as the long fly ball was now a home run hence walks went up. Also striking out is no long an issue so guys can do the old Nick Swisher and rely on the umpire to call ball four or strike three on a close pitch.

As our good friend Hawk always told us. It is easy to win with hudson, Mulder and Zito.

Beane is a real good GM but I do not think he reinvented anything. He also plays in the worst hitters park in baeball with the huge foul territory.

Moneyball isn't about reinvention, it's about innovation. It's about exploiting market inefficiencies. OPB was an advantage for Beane until everybody else started doing it. Moneyball isn’t irrelevant it’s never been more important. It’s just transformed through the decade. And can we stop the “it’s easy to win with Mulder, Zito, and Hudson” thing? Billy Beane got all of those players, and then they left when he could afford them anymore. This is like saying that it’s easy for KW to win with Floyd and Danks. Well yeah, it is, because they’re great players that the GM actively obtained.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
Moneyball isn't about reinvention, it's about innovation. It's about exploiting market inefficiencies. OPB was an advantage for Beane until everybody else started doing it. Moneyball isn’t irrelevant it’s never been more important. It’s just transformed through the decade. And can we stop the “it’s easy to win with Mulder, Zito, and Hudson” thing? Billy Beane got all of those players, and then they left when he could afford them anymore. This is like saying that it’s easy for KW to win with Floyd and Danks. Well yeah, it is, because they’re great players that the GM actively obtained.

In my mind his way of looking at OBP received credability because he had a pitching staff and steroid fueled OBP guys that became MVP winners thus their OBP became magnified along with their production via the steroids.

I think Beane is good but to make a movie about what he has accomplished is stupid. I'd rather see a portrayal of how Tony LaRussa goes about his business. You know the guy Beane didn't need as a manager....I know, money was an issue. The A's have a history of success and there were some great people there before he got there. It was not like he did not have anyone to learn from and built the organization from scratch.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
In my mind his way of looking at OBP received credability because he had a pitching staff and steroid fueled OBP guys that became MVP winners thus their OBP became magnified along with their production via the steroids.

I think Beane is good but to make a movie about what he has accomplished is stupid. I'd rather see a portrayal of how Tony LaRussa goes about his business. You know the guy Beane didn't need as a manager....I know, money was an issue. The A's have a history of success and there were some great people there before he got there. It was not like he did not have anyone to learn from and built the organization from scratch.

So you don't care for Beane because of steroids, but you want to see how LaRussa goes about his business? uh huh...