Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I know we've done this before, and the deadh horse is really starting to stink, right now, but i'll always contend that there's nothing in Getzs' major and minor league track record that says he'll ever have an OBP above .340. His trends suggest this. I alos don't see the solid D, or .300 or for that matter. I could see a consistent .280 not being out of the realm of chance. I do agree with you on his base-running and speed, but i don't think that outweights his deficiencies as a player

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
Throw out the college stats, i'm not interested in metal bat fueled numbers. Getz's career minor league OBP is .362. Over two years in AA Getz put up .326 and .382 , In AAA .366. Averaging out Getz's OBP is the upper levels of the system we put his OBP around .350. Now, Getz put up a .324 OPB in the majors ,after dealing with a broken wrist which could just sap him of a lot of his strength and quickness. Now, given Getzs' complete lack of pop it's likely he will be pitched too rather then around. Allowing for major league improvement and an approach rather then a match of his minor league numbers, i'd suggest that .340 is very possible, if not probable.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
I said there's a chance he could get to .340. Would you like to write an actual rebuttal or focus on minute issues? I contend that mid 330's is likely, and that .340 is not out of the realm. I've always been consistent about this

You have been arguing for a long time about the difference between a obp in the .330's (what you think getz can get on base at) and one at .340 (something that you think is out of the realm of possibilty). That in itself is minute. You are the main person beating the so called horse to death. At 4:41 you claim getz will never have a chance to post a .340 obp or higher. Just 24 minutes later, at 5:05, you state that .340 is very possible, if not probable. That lacks consistency.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
My god people we talk about Chris Getz like he accomplished something here. Is he the new BA? The new Sweeney? Is this what we're trying to do here? There's no raw data to support Getz being anything other then a utility player. Intangibles are fine, but if a player lacks the track record and skill set to back said intangibles, it's pretty much a dead issue. I like Nix no doubt about it, but i can't write him in a starter. Why? Becasue he has enough issues to make his place on this team, a legitmate question mark, but he has the skill set. He has that potential, he doesn't rely on some distant intangibles, he relies on good d and solid pop. It usually produces results. And if it doesn't? We cut our losses and move on.

I asked nicely once, this time I am not being so nice. Stop ruining the thread.

Wow didn't expect to see this when I logged on today.

Honestly not a big fan of this deal, and I think we can do better. Teahen's really tapered off offensively since his career year in 2006 with OPS's of .763, .715 and .734 over the past 3 seasons. He does have a .261/.325/.514 line at 138AB's in his career at the Cell though.

But he's not really an OBP type of guy the Sox need to be adding to their lineup either. He usually K's about 125 times a season and gets about 40 or so walks.

So I don't think he's THAT much of an upgrade on Getz, who'd you expect would get better, but maybe the Sox don't think so?

The only way this makes sense for me if the Sox go after a Polanco type of second baseman, and use Teahen as a super utility infielder / outfielder possibly, because SS and 3B are set right now with Alexei and Beckham.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
It could free up first base for a Dye resigning...

I don't know if people would react well to that (especilly around here considering his 2nd half of the season).

If Konerko goes, I have a feeling that KW is going to go hard after Adrian Gonzalez from the Padres, especially considering it's a pretty much a lock he'll get dealt for financial reasons this off-season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Teahen can play first base so you can trade Paulie and not have to be overly concerned with filling the hole at first.

Only 7 times since 1960 has a White Sox starting 1B put up an OPS+ of 99 or lower. Only 18 times since 2000 has a starting AL 1B posted an OPS+ under 100. Mark Teahen has been in the 90's since 2007. He was at 94 last year.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Wow didn't expect to see this when I logged on today.

Honestly not a big fan of this deal, and I think we can do better. Teahen's really tapered off offensively since his career year in 2006 with OPS's of .763, .715 and .734 over the past 3 seasons. He does have a .261/.325/.514 line at 138AB's in his career at the Cell though.

But he's not really an OBP type of guy the Sox need to be adding to their lineup either. He usually K's about 125 times a season and gets about 40 or so walks.

So I don't think he's THAT much of an upgrade on Getz, who'd you expect would get better, but maybe the Sox don't think so?

The only way this makes sense for me if the Sox go after a Polanco type of second baseman, and use Teahen as a super utility infielder / outfielder possibly, because SS and 3B are set right now with Alexei and Beckham.

This move definitley opens up a spot in the infield. Perhaps for a free agent such as Figgins or Polanco. Or maybe KW makes another big trade. . who knows. .

As far as doing much better? Perhaps, but Teahen has the tools to have a pretty productive season at the cell. Same goes for Rios. KW is taking chances on guys that have the capability of raking at the Cell. We still need a leadoff hitter and we still need power and I know KW has something up his sleeve. JR and KW are hungry for another title and with this rotation- we have a great opportunity to be a legit contender this season.

Could you imagine if that speculated Heymen deal were to go down? Say Jenks and Ramirez are dealt for Ellsbury, Okajima and Bard. All we would have to do then is sign a DH.

I LOVE HOTSTOVE season. Can our architecht construct another World Series contender? I KW i trust!

I found out about this during school when i got a text message about it.

I loved Getz, but was not opposed to dealing him...for a good player.

I hate this deal if Teahen becomes our everyday RF. I'd much rather have Kotsay play RF then Teahen.

However, I love this deal if the following happens:

Orlando Hudson/Chone Figgins signed and INF shuffled accordingly.

We get another OF, whether thats Pods resigning, Crawford via trade, I don't want Teahen starting, which means he would probably take Nix's roster spot.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
Only 7 times since 1960 has a White Sox starting 1B put up an OPS+ of 99 or lower. Only 18 times since 2000 has a starting AL 1B posted an OPS+ under 100. Mark Teahen has been in the 90's since 2007. He was at 94 last year.

Oh, I'm not saying its what I'd do, just stating what could be going on for the Sox and this move ultimately gives them flexibility to move Paulie. Basically the Sox end up thinking Paulie's cash and the guy they can get for Paulie, plus Teahan > Getz/Konerko/Fields.

I don't know what the plan is and I definitely would tell you that the current version of Teahan isn't an adequate first baseman. I do think Mark has a lot of nice tools, but again, your paying a lot of money for that. I'd love it if he was a bench player who might be able to fight and earn a starting spot, but in this case, we are handing him a starting spot at a productin position which is a little scary, but there is a ton of the off-season left to go.

Very odd that nothing has been confirmed or denied at this point. There is definitely smoke to this, but its also definitely not the final deal, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 04:54 AM)
Oh, I'm not saying its what I'd do, just stating what could be going on for the Sox and this move ultimately gives them flexibility to move Paulie. Basically the Sox end up thinking Paulie's cash and the guy they can get for Paulie, plus Teahan > Getz/Konerko/Fields.

I don't know what the plan is and I definitely would tell you that the current version of Teahan isn't an adequate first baseman. I do think Mark has a lot of nice tools, but again, your paying a lot of money for that. I'd love it if he was a bench player who might be able to fight and earn a starting spot, but in this case, we are handing him a starting spot at a productin position which is a little scary, but there is a ton of the off-season left to go.

Very odd that nothing has been confirmed or denied at this point. There is definitely smoke to this, but its also definitely not the final deal, imo.

Considering Callaspo was one of the Royals' better players, you'd have to wonder why they'd want Getz. Beginning to think that this deal isn't what we think it is.

I'm hearing a lot of talk that this trade should it happen, opens up the doors to a Figgins signing. Don't Figgins and Teahen basically play all of the same positions? Wouldn't adding $4 million + to your payroll make it less likely you would be willing to give Figgins the money he would require? Polanco makes some sense but he's older and slipped a little this past year. Damon I would love, but Rios would probably weigh 140 lbs. by July with all the ground he would have to cover.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
I'm hearing a lot of talk that this trade should it happen, opens up the doors to a Figgins signing. Don't Figgins and Teahen basically play all of the same positions? Wouldn't adding $4 million + to your payroll make it less likely you would be willing to give Figgins the money he would require? Polanco makes some sense but he's older and slipped a little this past year. Damon I would love, but Rios would probably weigh 140 lbs. by July with all the ground he would have to cover.

I mentioned Figgins earlier but was told 'sign Pujols and Utley' while at it..

I like Figgins/Hudson to cover the infield, but if we signed Hudson who would be much cheaper than Chone, I'd still like to somehow bring Ellsbury to be the leadoff guy.

EDIT; how frustrating it must be for the involved parties that this is still a rumor, it's like Peavy to the Sox version 1 all over again.

Edited by tommy

Greg,

A cardboard cutout is better than Dye out in RF. Dye is a horrible horrible horrible horrible defensive RF. Teahan is a better RF than him and he is a utility type guy.

Have you seen Mark play right field? He is a lousy outfielder and assuming Dye returns to the way Dye used to hit, the tradeoff would be horrific in right field. I'm assuming Teahen will be a utility man for us; that's what I'm hoping. I'm just telling you what I know here. Royals fans do not like Teahen. He is not an everyday player on a team with hopes of winning anything significant.

Teahen would be a very useful backup however as many have pointed out. I'd rather have him as a backup than say, Nix.

My question to you is: Should Royals fans be hopeful Fields can become something? I'm not flaming, just asking those of you to comment on Fields outside of Chicago. Is there any hope for him to be be good?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Have you seen Mark play right field? He is a lousy outfielder and assuming Dye returns to the way Dye used to hit, the tradeoff would be horrific in right field. I'm assuming Teahen will be a utility man for us; that's what I'm hoping. I'm just telling you what I know here. Royals fans do not like Teahen. He is not an everyday player on a team with hopes of winning anything significant.

Teahen would be a very useful backup however as many have pointed out. I'd rather have him as a backup than say, Nix.

My question to you is: Should Royals fans be hopeful Fields can become something? I'm not flaming, just asking those of you to comment on Fields outside of Chicago. Is there any hope for him to be be good?

Teahen isn't a great OF and I have seen him play. However as bad as you think he is, he is a better OF than Dye. I don't think it sinks in how bad of an OF Dye is at this point in his career. You would have a difficult time finding a regular OF that plays worse defense than Dye.

As far as Fields goes. He has lots of power. His problem is the fact that he cannot make contact with fastballs above 90 mph on a consistant basis. He tried cutting down on his swing earlier in the year and it was a disaster. He has a hitch in his swing that needs to be fixed. If anything, he should platoon and face lots of lefties. His defense is better than it was, however is still not good.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
I asked nicely once, this time I am not being so nice. Stop ruining the thread.

Still not seeing the problem with having a legitmate baseball debate here. Not sure how discussing the motivations and the ramifications behind a debate is "ruining" it. We're allowed to disagree here, if you want me to back off, i'll back off, i'm just not seeing the point of contention.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Good post, southside.

For what it's worth, I'll let you know what the KC version of Bill James thinks of the deal. I sent him an email. He's a saber guy and I'll send over what he thinks of the deal if he responds to me.

I hope we're building up the bench first and making deals for regulars later.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
Phil Rogers is commenting that the deal allows the Sox to potentially explore a Konerko trade, which would than free up payroll to make a FA splash.

An unnamed scout is indicating that the Sox are likely going to get cash.

Teahan isn't the power bat to replace PK. Though he is likely to see an increase in SLG% hitting at the Cell. Even if the sox are on the hook for $3.5 mill for 2010, that seems like a lot for Teahan. Esp. as he doesn't seem above average in any facet of the game.

I guess the only FA splash that makes sense is Figgins. But 3b is his best spot. A lot of other pieces would then have to shuffle around, with Alexei and Gordon [though I've always thought Alexei would be moved this offseason]