Free Agent Tracker

Heads22

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 1, 2010 -> 05:24 AM)
Gleichowski has to be one of the crappiest agents you can get apparently.

Why is he telling Pods to push for so much? It's not gonna work, and right now it seems as if the Giants are the only team left interested in him. Heck, they could sign Dye (haven't they liked him for some time, and he could provide a bat (well, maybe)) and have 1/2 of the 2005 Sox position players. Sign Crede for reclamation, lure Iguchi out of retirement, trade Bonser, Liriano, Nathan for AJ, and Sanchez for Konerko and they'll win it all.

Juan Pierre got a 5/$45 mill contract due to a .292/.330/.388/.717 season with the Cubs. Given, it was a different market and was a horrendous decision at the time, but Pods' agent would get fired if he settled for a contract this early in the offseason. It makes perfect sense to try and get what he can for Podsednik, but he will have to settle for a contract within the next month or so.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 05:58 AM)
Juan Pierre got a 5/$45 mill contract due to a .292/.330/.388/.717 season with the Cubs. Given, it was a different market and was a horrendous decision at the time, but Pods' agent would get fired if he settled for a contract this early in the offseason. It makes perfect sense to try and get what he can for Podsednik, but he will have to settle for a contract within the next month or so.

We always have hindsight and Pierre even despite having a decent season last year now gets moved and the Dodgers have to pay him more than the White Sox the next 2 years. While I agree its Pods' agent's responsibility to get the max for Pods, in this market when you have been mediocre, waiting doesn't appear to pay off much. I still don't believe the White Sox wanted to pay Pods in 2010 for his 2009 season ( I don't blame them) and I think most of their "interest" was PR. It seems signing early these days unless you are one of those guys guaranteed to get your money, is the way to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 05:58 AM)

If last years market taught anything, it is that waiting isn't going to help. Once teams are done spending, they are done, and the prices drop quickly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
According to Peter Gammons, Beltre to Red Sox, 1 year, $9 million, with a player option for $5 million next year?

Outstanding move by Boston. Their defense has been elevated a ton with the additions of Cameron/Beltre. They're obviously attempting to get it done via pitching/defense in 2010. I like their chances.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Outstanding move by Boston. Their defense has been elevated a ton with the additions of Cameron/Beltre. They're obviously attempting to get it done via pitching/defense in 2010. I like their chances.

As much as it pains me to say, I absolutely love what Boston has done so far this offseason.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
As much as it pains me to say, I absolutely love what Boston has done so far this offseason.

They're the best run organization in baseball, IMO. They've totally offset Bay's bat and then some with Lackey/Cameron/Beltre.

Edited by Jordan4life

He's trying to put up a great year in Boston where he will be hitting in a good park with good protection and get a big deal next off-season. Plus, with all the attention he will be getting in Boston, why not sign there short term instead of somewhere like Oakland or Minnesota?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

Pitching and defense does it. If we learned nothing else in 2005, that is it.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
I wonder if KW even tried? Knowing him though I bet he did.

That's way more money than this team has available to spend on a player like Beltre. For this year at least, that's probably more than he's worth to us as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
You do realize the Sox are probably amongst the teams that benefit from not having a salary cap, right?

Yeah but is it enough? Now there's an ESPN article out there that is speculating that the yanks might be able to pay enough to convince ALBERT PUJOLS to outbid the cards when his contract is up. What the hell? When does it stop? I'd just as soon level the playing field for everyone.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Yeah but is it enough? Now there's an ESPN article out there that is speculating that the yanks might be able to pay enough to convince ALBERT PUJOLS to outbid the cards when his contract is up. What the hell? When does it stop? I'd just as soon level the playing field for everyone.

I doubt Pujols will become a free agent next year.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
What if the yanks throw ARod money at him and St. Louis can't match it?

St. Louis would be crazy to let it get to that point. Either they need to trade him first or they need to sign him before it gets to that point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
St. Louis would be crazy to let it get to that point. Either they need to trade him first or they need to sign him before it gets to that point.

I agree, there's no way they can just let him walk.

I heard last night on an ESPN Radio update that the Cards were close to a 7 year deal with Holliday, but haven't heard anything new this morning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)

I'm not saying that there's a GOOD chance that it happens - I'm saying that there is a chance that it happens and I'm starting to think that, by rules, there should be NO CHANCE that the yanks be able to pull that off.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm not saying that there's a GOOD chance that it happens - I'm saying that there is a chance that it happens and I'm starting to think that, by rules, there should be NO CHANCE that the yanks be able to pull that off.

instead of a pure salary cap I would imagine the first step would have to be a franchise/transition player type system put in place. Some tweaks would have to be done, but that might be a good first step

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
instead of a pure salary cap I would imagine the first step would have to be a franchise/transition player type system put in place. Some tweaks would have to be done, but that might be a good first step

The only reason that exists in the NFL is that it's what the players gave up in exchange for the right to be Free agents. That's a pretty big concession from the players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
The only reason that exists in the NFL is that it's what the players gave up in exchange for the hard cap. That's a pretty big concession from the players.

yeah I agree, I should have added more to my post by saying there is little to no chance that the MLB players union would agree to a hard cap and something like this would be more likely, although I agree unlikely.