Yanks, Tigers, Dbacks Agree to Trade

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
The Yankees got a steal here. Austin Jackson wasn't in their plans, Coke can be easily replaced, and Kennedy is crap.

This sucks. At least the Tiggers got worse in 2010 though.

But they got some payroll flexibility and a ridiculous haul of dirt cheap/impressive talent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Ian Kennedy finds it again.. for the D-Backs sake. If he does... the deals looks waaaaaaay better for the D-Backs. I would say the Yankees did very well. I LOVE it for the Tigers as far as young spects/players, but I'm willing to bet money that Scherzer (who has been questioned for years with his delivery) and his arm will not hold up for long. Terrific stuff he's got though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
I think this deal ends up being better for the DBacks than expected. If anything, this has to take the Yanks out of the Doc sweepstakes as one of the main parts that was asked for was AJax.

I'm guessing Jackson could easily be replaced as he isn't really that great of a prospect and NY has substantially better prospects than him in their system.

i'm not as high on this deal for the tigers as most here are...while grandersons game has taken a step or two back, and they may have sold high on Edwin Jackson, those guys are both proven above average major leaguers....Edwin Jackson is only 9 months older than Schrezer and is more proven in a better league and better divisions

Schlereth and phil coke are essentially the same player, so im not sure i really get that....

Austin Jacksons a nice prospect but the odds of him ever being close to as good as granderson are slim IMO

Can someone explain to me why Curtis Granderson is being treated like a superstar? Maybe I'm missing something, but his stats just don't seem that great to me. I understand he's a great defensive center fielder, but I feel like this trade is being reported as a "blockbuster". I guess I just don't see it.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
Can someone explain to me why Curtis Granderson is being treated like a superstar? Maybe I'm missing something, but his stats just don't seem that great to me. I understand he's a great defensive center fielder, but I feel like this trade is being reported as a "blockbuster". I guess I just don't see it.

He can play gold glove defense, hit 30 home runs, steal 30 bases. What's there not to like about him?

He's probably not a superstar yet, but he sure does have superstar potential.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
He can play gold glove defense, hit 30 home runs, steal 30 bases. What's there not to like about him?

He's probably not a superstar yet, but he sure does have superstar potential.

Well, I do like him. I think he's a really good player. Maybe I'm viewing it incorrectly, but the headlines about it being a blockbuster are kind of bothering me.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Well, I do like him. I think he's a really good player. Maybe I'm viewing it incorrectly, but the headlines about it being a blockbuster are kind of bothering me.

He's a 29 year old speedy, great defensive centerfielder with a .374 and .395 wOBA season under his belt. He's an elite talent who's put up elite numbers in the majors with the potential to be one of the best in the game if he can stay healthy and get it back together. A career 4.9 UZR/150 in CF, a double digit walk rate and .200+ ISO in a speedy young body, you don't see that often. It's definitely a blockbuster.

I cant stand Tiger fans. I went to high school in Ann Arbor and all my high school friends are crying from this trade. Here are some comments on facebook I saw:

-The Tigers just lost their two best players

(Seriously!!!?????)

-I am crying nonstop for a year.

-I wouldnt trade Granderson for Babe Ruth, he's my effing Tiger.

I understand them losing one of hteir favorite players, but Tiger fans for the most part are completely clueless about baseball. I have fantastic stories about going to Tiger games and the stupidity of their fans.

Whenever a ball was hit in the air the whole section I was sitting in would jump up as if it was a home run, then as it landed in the infield they would sit down dissappointed, all the while I would be laughing my ass off at them.

I was at an Angels at Tigers game in 2006 and it was the 9th inning and K-Rod was pitching for the Angels trying to close the game out. I was standing up along with others cheering for the last out to come and this lady behind me exclaimed that "she wanted to kick [me] in the head" since she couldnt see the game. Her husband fortunately told her to stand up, its the end of the game (I know that a lot of wives taken to games may not know these types of things, but I couldnt believe she actually said that).

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)

The Yankees are involved. Therefore, it's considered "blockbuster"

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:57 PM)
He's a 29 year old speedy, great defensive centerfielder with a .374 and .395 wOBA season under his belt. He's an elite talent who's put up elite numbers in the majors with the potential to be one of the best in the game if he can stay healthy and get it back together. A career 4.9 UZR/150 in CF, a double digit walk rate and .200+ ISO in a speedy young body, you don't see that often. It's definitely a blockbuster.

There are about 25 teams that would kill for Granderson. You can't deny what he brings.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 01:37 PM)
i'm not as high on this deal for the tigers as most here are...while grandersons game has taken a step or two back, and they may have sold high on Edwin Jackson, those guys are both proven above average major leaguers....Edwin Jackson is only 9 months older than Schrezer and is more proven in a better league and better divisions

I agree. This may end up working out for the Tigers, but I wouldn't be jumping up and down with joy right now if I were a fan.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)

Anytime a team deals two players who both made the all-star team in that year, in a single trade, it should be considered a blockbuster.

How often do you see deals like that happen?

Apparently the deal has stalled at 99% done as all teams are considering the downside to the trade.

Yanks have concerns about Curtis' ability to hit lefties, his declining defense and his probablity to K.

Arizona is concerned that this trade puts them in a win now mode and want to make sure they are first able to get the proper pieces in place.

Detroit is concerned because they think if Arizona is willing to give up Scherzer so easily, there are legit concerns with his pitching mechanics.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Anytime a team deals two players who both made the all-star team in that year, in a single trade, it should be considered a blockbuster.

How often do you see deals like that happen?

I know it's stretching the comparison, but this means that Jason Marquis for Nelson Cruz would be a blockbuster. I don't really see it. I get the point you're trying to make, though. I was more looking for some good reasons why Granderson was perceived as such a dominant player (in my opinion). A few good statements have been thrown out there, but I'm still kind of confused as to why everyone seems to be so freaking high on him right now. I guess it could also be just a matter of him being in the news right now and the highest profile player to be moved so far.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
I know it's stretching the comparison, but this means that Jason Marquis for Nelson Cruz would be a blockbuster. I don't really see it. I get the point you're trying to make, though. I was more looking for some good reasons why Granderson was perceived as such a dominant player (in my opinion). A few good statements have been thrown out there, but I'm still kind of confused as to why everyone seems to be so freaking high on him right now. I guess it could also be just a matter of him being in the news right now and the highest profile player to be moved so far.

I'd say that his 2007 season, of 38 doubles, 23 triples, 23 HR, and 26/27 on steals is a great, great season, and a dominant season. But...his numbers have marched downwards the last 2 seasons (much like Rios but perhaps looking more like a trend line than a blip, at least to my eyes)

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)

If you are the only one who is questioning this, maybe you should be the one explaining why Granderson isn't a star.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:28 PM)
If you are the only one who is questioning this, maybe you should be the one explaining why Granderson isn't a star.

Good point. I guess it was from looking at declining statistics (except for home runs). And not being overly impressed with his stats overall. Again, let me stress that I think he's an excellent player, just not one of the elite players in the game.

However, I wasn't trying to argue that he's not a star. I was, like you, wondering why I seemed to be the only one on this board, at least, that doesn't think he is a marquee player. I simply asked for reasons why everyone else thought he was so that I could have a better understanding and see the other side and what I was missing out on. People here usually post statistics that I never think of and make me feel differently about players. I figured as soon as I asked the same would happen here. I wasn't looking to argue whether he was phenomenal or not. Just trying to figure out if he really was.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
Good point. I guess it was from looking at declining statistics (except for home runs). And not being overly impressed with his stats overall. Again, let me stress that I think he's an excellent player, just not one of the elite players in the game.

However, I wasn't trying to argue that he's not a star. I was, like you, wondering why I seemed to be the only one on this board, at least, that doesn't think he is a marquee player. I simply asked for reasons why everyone else thought he was so that I could have a better understanding and see the other side and what I was missing out on. People here usually post statistics that I never think of and make me feel differently about players. I figured as soon as I asked the same would happen here. I wasn't looking to argue whether he was phenomenal or not. Just trying to figure out if he really was.

Granderson has the chance to be a perennial all-star if he semi figures out lefties. You don't have to be elite to be considered a part of a blockbuster trade. You do have to be good and he's darn good.