Sox in on JJ Putz?

justBLAZE

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
With the Sox acquisitions as of late, if they get Putz, and if they can all turn the clock back to 2006 or 2007, the Sox should have no problem with the AL Central.

These moves definately look like a 'lets go for it' now move. I can't see anyone beating the Yankees if they add Halladay or Lackey to an already lethal team, but who knows...gotta get there first.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
With the Sox acquisitions as of late, if they get Putz, and if they can all turn the clock back to 2006 or 2007, the Sox should have no problem with the AL Central.

not without 1-2 major offensive peices. Our offense is really really bad as it stands

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
not without 1-2 major offensive peices. Our offense is really really bad as it stands

I agree but if Andruw Jones acts like its 2006 and Teahan acts like its 2006, and Rios and Vizquel turn back the clock to 2006 and Peavy pitches like he did in 2007 when he won the Cy Young, and Putz comes in and dominates like he did those seasons, the Sox are set. Of course if we go by 2006 numbers, Dye and Thome should definitely return.

I put the probability of everyone being able to get to those levels at 0%.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)

Well if Rios and Teahen can get back to their 2006/2007 levels of production, along with a healthy CQ, our offense is dramatically improved from a year ago even if we don't add a thing from this point on. Of course, those are three BIG ifs.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Sec101Row1 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
Mets statement last season:

Putz has been shut down indefinitely and will not return this year after an MRI on Tuesday found that he has some new fraying and a slightly torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.

Putz had surgery on the elbow in June to remove a bone spur and fragments of bone and was slated to make his first rehab appearance Tuesday for Class-A Brooklyn. But he was scratched from that appearance after complaining of soreness in his right forearm, the team said in a statement.

Not uncommon to have forearm tightness after this type of surgery. When the UCL loosens the medial forearm muscles need to work a little more to help stabilize the elbow. As the UCL heals and tightens the forearm won't be an issue.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Well if Rios and Teahen can get back to their 2006/2007 levels of production, along with a healthy CQ, our offense is dramatically improved from a year ago even if we don't add a thing from this point on. Of course, those are three BIG ifs.

Huge huge ifs

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
Not uncommon to have forearm tightness after this type of surgery. When the UCL loosens the medial forearm muscles need to work a little more to help stabilize the elbow. As the UCL heals and tightens the forearm won't be an issue.

Well I'm glad the Mets shut him down and he got the extra rest.

I could actually see this thing working out. If Putz is willing to take a contract with a low base salary, say $2M, with incentives that could yield another $2-3M based on IP, throw in a vesting option at like $4-5M for 2011 and we got ourselves a deal. That is if no team goes crazy and offers him like 3 years 15M right off the bat.

Its a scary thought to have such a dominant (looking) rotation and a bullpen with essentially 2 guys that can be counted on. The 2010 pitching staff will be wasted if we have 5 clown car arms in the pen. Its important to have a shut down back end of the pen so that our quality starts do not go in vein.

Around the Winter Meetings: Putz, Matsui, Crisp, and More

SN Take: Putz, 32, is coming off back-to-back disappointing seasons with the Mariners and Mets and spent the majority of the 2009 campaign on the disabled list after feeling soreness in his throwing elbow and eventually underwent surgery to remove bone-chips in his throwing elbow. Doctors expect Putz to be 100% by spring training and Putz is scheduled to throw off the mound on Wednesday for 11 teams and will throw again on Friday. The Sox are believed to be one of the 11 teams planning on attending his session. A healthy Putz would provide the Sox with flexibility in the pen. If the club keeps Jenks, Putz and Thornton would provide the Sox with, on paper, one of the best set-up "duo's" in baseball. If the club opts to trade Jenks, Putz would serve as a tremendous insurance option in the instance that Thornton could not handle the pressure of closer. While the market for Putz is large, his contract is expected to be modest. He can expect an incentive laden deal, with limited guarantees, and if the Sox are interested, they will be near the top of his list.

Well its Cowley and MLB Trade rumors so take it for what its worth:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/whit...-putz.htmlWhite Sox Close On J.J. Putz?

By Tim Dierkes [December 9, 2009 at 3:57pm CST]

Yesterday Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times said the White Sox were closing in on a deal with free agent reliever J.J. Putz, perhaps encouraging Putz's friend Matt Thornton to leverage their bromance as a recruiting tool. Today, Williams implied that leaks of the team's interest affected the possible deal. Cowley thinks they'll still get it done:

The Sox might have to up the ante a bit, but Putz wants to pitch on the South Side and there is still a deal close to happening.

Putz, 33 in February, pitched only 29.3 innings this year due to elbow issues.

Kenny was talking about it and it sounds as if the story Cowley reported had a lot of truth and the fact that it is now public knowledge will make it harder for the deal to get done.

However, Cowley says Putz wants to play in Chicago and I think the two sides will get something done as long as no other team makes a ridiculous offer. I hope the deal has potential options and I'm sure it will be filled with tons of incentives.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
If the price is right then I'd love this move. Another lefty is needed though if this does mean the end of Jenks since we can't count on Putz to close right out of the gate, even if he is perfectly healthy.

This moves reminds me of bringing in Flash Gordon.