2010 Minor League Catch-All Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Catcher Chase Blackwood was assigned to Winston-Salem to fill the open roster spot.

Okay, so now Jeffrey Tezak was sent back to Kannapolis and the White Sox signed catcher Jason Bour and assigned him to Winston-Salem. Bour formerly was a farmhand of the Reds. So, signing a catcher off the street is not a good sign for the health of either Logan Johnson or Josh Phegley. One or both of them may miss significant time.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Okay, so now Jeffrey Tezak was sent back to Kannapolis and the White Sox signed catcher Jason Bour and assigned him to Winston-Salem. Bour formerly was a farmhand of the Reds. So, signing a catcher off the street is not a good sign for the health of either Logan Johnson or Josh Phegley. One or both of them may miss significant time.

Also seems to indicate that they don't think Gonzalez or Dubler are ready to move up.

It seems that OF Brady Shoemaker has been sent back to extended spring training. RHP Justin Collop was placed on the DL and LHP Zachary Piccola was assigned to Kannapolis from extended spring training.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
Do we need another arm at Charlotte?

McCulloch was promoted to Charlotte, Dobies is coming to B'ham. Don't know who's spot McCulloch is taking in Charlotte.

Justin Smoak (the guy alot of people here liked for the sox to pick last year before we took Beckham) is gonna get the call up tomorrow for Texas and will be in the lineup. Chris Davis to AAA.

Here are Smoak's ridiculous stats in AAA. 16/8 BB:SO ratio.. ya he's ready.

I think I heard the Giants are close with Buster Posey as well. (maybe one more month) Gonna be fun watching him catch Lincecum/Cain/Bumgarner etc.. in the future.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
Justin Smoak (the guy alot of people here liked for the sox to pick last year before we took Beckham) is gonna get the call up tomorrow for Texas and will be in the lineup. Chris Davis to AAA.

I think I heard the Giants are close with Buster Posey as well. (maybe one more month) Gonna be fun watching him catch Lincecum/Cain/Bumgarner etc.. in the future.

I heard Bumgarner's FB was topping out at 88? I hope that's wrong. That's quite alarming if true.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
I heard Bumgarner's FB was topping out at 88? I hope that's wrong. That's quite alarming if true.

It's true. Bumgarner is broken, and noone knows why. There was some recent articles about it. Everyone merely thought he was overworked at the end of last year and his velocity would be back this season. That has not been the case, and it is very troubling since they can't find anything wrong with the kid.

Edit: Neyer's recent piece:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-in-triple-a

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
It's true. Bumgarner is broken, and noone knows why. There was some recent articles about it. Everyone merely thought he was overworked at the end of last year and his velocity would be back this season. That has not been the case, and it is very troubling since they can't find anything wrong with the kid.

Thanks for posting that article. Yeah, I've never heard of that type of loss in velocity and it not be injury related. The Giants are definitely in a bind.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)

Wow.. I did not noticed it dropped THAT much. I remember when there were reports it fell a couple mph, but he was still dominating hitters in the minors and was pitching around 90 when he was called up, if I remember. 87-88 now and they can't find anything? I really hope this isn't the case of anything physiological. (I.E. Greinke, Koch, though he was more of the LIPS etc..) Hopefully for their sake it's more-so mechanically. Just saw his AAA numbers.. yuck.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)

Chris Davis is still very young, trade for him?