The Jim Thome Saga Ends

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Last year, he started doing that a bit more. He actually hit some soft liners and ground balls to the far left side, on occasion, as I recall. He even attempted a bunt that direction once.

His spray chart over the years has been interesting. If he hits the ball on the ground he pulls it like crazy. If he hits it in the air its more gap to gap leaning towards left center.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
See, for some reason, the idea of being left with just Vizquel and Kotsay as reserve infielders frightens me.

I'm not sure if it frightens me more or less than having Jones/Kotsay as out DH though....

Let's just hope that Ozzie and Kenny are really j/k with this Jones/Kotsay thing...;)

The idea of Kotsay getting 400 at bats or 300 at bats or being considered as a DH really frightens me. I don't want another Erstad situation.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
Just sign him back already, he even wants to come back. Come on Kenny...

I don't understand what the problem is, he's old, past his prime, and not a full-time player at this point in his career. He totally fits the mold of a white sox free agent this offseason.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I don't understand what the problem is, he's a high OBP, lefty power bat who is willing to sign for cheap and be a platooned DH at this point in his career. He totally fits the mold of a white sox free agent this offseason.

Fixed for ya. He's pretty much perfect for the team's needs right now.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
Looks like the rotating DH is looking more and more definite by the day..

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...e-in-plans.html

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2010/01...eve_of_sox.html

Ozzie:

''Nobody is a bigger Jim Thome fan than me,'' Guillen said at U.S. Cellular Field. ''But in the meantime, (Thome's departure) gives this ballclub an opportunity to give more people more at-bats and to be flexible in different ways.''

Sounds to me like he's basically saying, hey, I can have fun with the lineup as is, and do a lot of things. But he's also not saying, anywhere in there, that we won't have a DH.

This is why headline writers drive me nuts. The headline says one thing, his quotes say another.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Fixed for ya. He's pretty much perfect for the team's needs right now.

see, you took the opportunity to compliment thome, whereas I was using it to criticize KW/ozzie. I like thome and want him on the team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Ozzie:

Sounds to me like he's basically saying, hey, I can have fun with the lineup as is, and do a lot of things. But he's also not saying, anywhere in there, that we won't have a DH.

This is why headline writers drive me nuts. The headline says one thing, his quotes say another.

Here is another quote that is more clear on the subject.

“No one except his wife is a bigger fan of Jim Thome than me,’’ Guillen said. “I will be grateful and pleased one day to say that I had an opportunity to manage this man, but this game is changing a little bit. It’s easy for manager when you don’t have a true DH. I can move things around, give guys more playing time. That’s the way it’s going to be.

“Fans out there will be looking at this team a little different. They might be saying, ‘Hey, we’re missing something.’ I think we’re going in a different direction, but the right direction. Our team is going to create different things. That’s why things will look weird. People shouldn’t be worried about that. Thome to me is one of the best guys ever to wear the uniform, but DH is changing. Few teams will have a legit DH. Those days are going away.’’

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Ozzie:

Ozzie is driving me crazy, I seriously want to yell at him right now. A rotating DH is fine, but having a rotating DH consisting of Mark Kotsay and Andruw Jones is nowhere near fine. I don't know what's not to get here, Ozzie, it isn't 2004 anymore.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
I can remember when KW talked about Jones and Kotsay as bench players. And now they are part of the DH. Awesome.

You can tell that Kenny wants to sign a DH, but Ozzie's getting in the way here.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Here is another quote that is more clear on the subject.

“Fans out there will be looking at this team a little different. They might be saying, ‘Hey, we’re missing something.’ I think we’re going in a different direction, but the right direction. Our team is going to create different things. That’s why things will look weird. People shouldn’t be worried about that. Thome to me is one of the best guys ever to wear the uniform, but DH is changing. Few teams will have a legit DH. Those days are going away.’

Really Ozzie? Jason Kubel, from your favorite Twins team, DH'ed in 80 games; Joe Mauer DH'ed in 28 games; Justin Morneau DH'ed in 12 games. Why? Because they are GOOD.

You want to DH Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay, Omar Vizquel, and maybe giving an outfielder a rest (the only one who should ever be DH'ed in the first place is Quentin).

It's like Ozzie has been given boxing gloves and now he wants to go play basketball with them on.

Anyone have any pictures of Ozzie putting Beckham in an electrical closet last season? That might be our only hope of having an actual DH in 2010. What's even more frustrating is news that the Cubs are about to sign Gomes for a few mil to be their 4th outfielder. He'd be one of our best hitters.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
Anyone have any pictures of Ozzie putting Beckham in an electrical closet last season? That might be our only hope of having an actual DH in 2010. What's even more frustrating is news that the Cubs are about to sign Gomes for a few mil to be their 4th outfielder. He'd be one of our best hitters.

Which is sad in itself because he really hasn't been that good in his career outside of 2005 and 2009.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
What's going to happen when some of these guys go on the DL?

You mean Kotsay and Quentin don't seem likely to stay healthy? You make a great point though, and it's pretty ridiculous. We'll probably end up DHing Ramirez and let Omar play SS.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
Really Ozzie? Jason Kubel, from your favorite Twins team, DH'ed in 80 games; Joe Mauer DH'ed in 28 games; Justin Morneau DH'ed in 12 games. Why? Because they are GOOD.

You want to DH Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay, Omar Vizquel, and maybe giving an outfielder a rest (the only one who should ever be DH'ed in the first place is Quentin).

It's like Ozzie has been given boxing gloves and now he wants to go play basketball with them on.

:lolhitting