NBA playoffs thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
So the Bulls reaching out to Phil Jackson isnt considered tampering?

Not if it's through "back channels." Basically, you leak a story to the press and gets to him or his people anyway. Not sure if you can actually tamper with coaches though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
Im not saying his job is in jeopardy, im saying he should start worrying about his teams current state rather than opining on the state of jobs elsewhere. I dont remember Phil Jackson commenting much on other jobs when the Bulls were in the playoffs/finals.

I've got no doubt he would have been worried about how the Magic would have been playing.

Jackson's history at dealing with the media, cheap shots at the refs etc. pretty much show he's not a guy who's going to stand up for other coaches in the league publicly.

I think because obviously SVG got the rug pulled out from under him by Pat Riley, when he was doing a pretty decent job to say the least, he doesn't want the same sort of thing happening again to other coaches.

I mean in what other sports league could you think of, where a guy who in the last 2 season has won at least 120 of 160 regular season games has gotten fired? It just doesn't happen that often at all.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
I've got no doubt he would have been worried about how the Magic would have been playing.

Jackson's history at dealing with the media, cheap shots at the refs etc. pretty much show he's not a guy who's going to stand up for other coaches in the league publicly.

I think because obviously SVG got the rug pulled out from under him by Pat Riley, when he was doing a pretty decent job to say the least, he doesn't want the same sort of thing happening again to other coaches.

I mean in what other sports league could you think of, where a guy who in the last 2 season has won at least 120 of 160 regular season games has gotten fired? It just doesn't happen that often at all.

Expectations werent met. Its a cutthroat league, it always has been, there have been coaches that have lost their jobs after they didnt get the job done, Doug Collins for one.

I know there were a few times that Kevin Garnett was accused of throwing up a Vice Lord sign ( the gang he was affiliated with while at Farraguat during his high school year in Chicago) after hitting a couple of game winning shots in the past (against the Hawks and the Knicks I think). Yesterday he CLEARLY flashed the Vice Lord rivals sign while "throwing down the "GD" pitchforks after hitting a jumper and getting fouled by Jameer Nelson.

This happened a couple plays after his breif tussle with Dwight Howard that resulted in a tech on Garnett. He was clearly still upset, and after his basket and the foul being whistled on Nelson he struted toward half court and with both hands threw down his former rivals gang sign. Check it out if you DVR'd the game. I noticed it right away, but thought no way it must have been something else he was doing, but with the glory of the DVR I just rewinded and slow motioned his gesture while walking hard away from the foul, and it is CRYSTA CLEAR. I even paused it and took a picture with my cell phone off the TV. It can not be mistaken for anything else. If others caught this and bring it to the attention of the league I'm sure a fine will follow. As I recall Paul Peirce got in trouble and a fine for throwing up a Blood sign at Al Horrford after a slight altercation in a game a while ago that David Stern commented on.

I just found it hilarious that the millionaire KG still reverts to his former gang allegence when angered with a confrontation. Check it out if you have the clip or google/ you tube Garnett/vice lords etc. IT WAS CLEARLY GANG SIGNS being flashed by Garnett on the court during the Eastern Conference finals.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Another reason for Phil coming back just dawned on me...

If you can get LeBron, he gets to coach MJ, Kobe, and Lebron.

Also, he'd be set up for a run at making matching his championship record unmatchable, especially if they also sign and trade for Bosh.

Suns just evened up the series at 2-2. Can only help Phil's decision (whether that is retirement, leaving somewhere else, etc.) if the Lakers somehow lose. Amar'e really wants to get PAID.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 25, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
After hearing all the stories about NBA players grossly mishandling their money, how do you not take care of this kinda stuff if you're a currently in the league?

Mind-boggling.

If you poke around the 'net there's stats/articles about how horribly many pro athletes misspend their money, it was some high percentage of NFL and NBA players declare bankruptcy after they leave the league...

I can see how it happens, let's say a decent player knocks around the league for a handful of years and makes around 20m over his career, sounds sweet, but take taxes, agents, attys, etc... out of it and it's fair to say it's around 10m, then what type of lifestyle did they lead when playing? Did they act/spend like they were going to make 2-3m dollars for 20-30 years and not save very much and buy big houses and lots of cars? All of a sudden they're sitting on property taxes and either car payments or cars they paid for in cash that depreciated the second they drove it off the lot. Then there's also the family/friends many support. Also bad investments happen a lot.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
IF PHX's bench keep outperforming the Lakers bench like they did tonight, that series is going to go right down to the wire.

I predict home teams will win out and, obviously, that means the LAA will prevail.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 25, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
IF PHX's bench keep outperforming the Lakers bench like they did tonight, that series is going to go right down to the wire.

Meh. The Suns are merely delaying the inevitable. I don't see them winning in LA. And their bench and that zone they're playing won't be nearly as effective on the road.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 26, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Meh. The Suns are merely delaying the inevitable. I don't see them winning in LA. And their bench and that zone they're playing won't be nearly as effective on the road.

PHX has at least beein in touch with the Lakers when they've played away.

Not saying they'll win the series, but they've been close enough to at least make things interesting, especially with Bynum's knee the way it is, and Odom not reproducing his game 1 form.

Lakers in 7 for mine still though.

The Suns are merely delaying the inevitable. I don't see them winning in LA. And their bench and that zone they're playing won't be nearly as effective on the road.

Very very true.

Gotta like the Lakers in game five. I think LA survives in seven only because of homecourt.

When Nash has that pic and rol stuff running smoothly, the Suns can beat anybody.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Can't even be surprised anymore. NBA takes these kids almost straight out of the ghetto and shoves millions of dollars in their pockets. It's not surprising you end up with Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph.

I have been saying for years that Randolph has always been this way. The kid got arrested in eighth grade for this same sort of stuff. He has no concept of what is smart and what is not, and it has always been that way. I speak from 1st hand experience in Zach's case.

And suddenly this series got very interesting again.

Pressure is ALL is on Boston for Game 6. And they've got a lot of injury problems right now, Rondo's clearly playing hurt, Davis had a bad concussion, and Wallace looked pretty tight with his back before he fouled out.

If Rondo can't get back to 100% I actually think we've got a real good opportunity to win games 6 and 7.

I feel sorry for Perkins though, those 2 technicals were absolite BS, but as a Magic fan safe to say I was pretty happy to see him go.