May Catch All White Sox Thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
MT shoud be there as well if his elbow holds up.

It's always hard to get in there as a reliever when there are others racking up saves. Rivera's there by default, Valverde and Soriano have ERA's under 1.4, Rauch has 10 saves and an ERA of 2.65, Andrew Bailey has an ERA of 1.02 and a ROY award.

If you start looking past closers and just as relievers, Will Ohman hasn't given up a run in 14 innings, Tony Sipp (Cle) has a 1.52 ERA, and this Sergio Santos dude has an 0.52 ERA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
It's always hard to get in there as a reliever when there are others racking up saves. Rivera's there by default, Valverde and Soriano have ERA's under 1.4, Rauch has 10 saves and an ERA of 2.65, Andrew Bailey has an ERA of 1.02 and a ROY award.

If you start looking past closers and just as relievers, Will Ohman hasn't given up a run in 14 innings, Tony Sipp (Cle) has a 1.52 ERA, and this Sergio Santos dude has an 0.52 ERA.

Ah... good post.

Makes a lot of sense.

That Sergio Santos dude is pretty damn good so far. He'll make a fine closer for some team soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)

Well if you want to look at the more important reliever statistics: Thornton is leading all AL relievers in WHIP at 0.72 (#2 Rivera 0.83), #2 in K/BB at 7.00 (#1 Balfour 10.00), #1 in K/9 at 14.00 (#2 Soria 13.24) and #1 in xFIP at 1.68 (#2 Putz 2.49). At this point there's most definitely a case to be made though it's next to impossible for a set-up guy to get in with so many good closers in the AL.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 25, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Well if you want to look at the more important reliever statistics: Thornton is leading all AL relievers in WHIP at 0.72 (#2 Rivera 0.83), #2 in K/BB at 7.00 (#1 Balfour 10.00), #1 in K/9 at 14.00 (#2 Soria 13.24) and #1 in xFIP at 1.68 (#2 Putz 2.49). At this point there's most definitely a case to be made though it's next to impossible for a set-up guy to get in with so many good closers in the AL.

It'll be even harder since we might only get 1 or 2 representatives and Rios/Danks should probably go before him. That could quickly change if we go on a tear and are within a couple of games of first place by the end of June. It's just hard to make the case for putting 3 players in on a team that is more than 5 games under .500 and isn't considered a premier team.

Sample sizes suck, but just trying to be an ass here... (same # of ABs)

Castro: 6 GMs- 2/15 0 2B 2 R 0 HR 2 RBI 2 BB 5 SO 0 SB 0 CS (.133/.235/.133/.369) salary: 800K

Lucy: 7 GMs- 5/15 3 2B 2 R 1 HR 2 RBI 2 BB 3 SO 1 SB 0 CS (.333/.444/.733/1.178) salary: 400K

To Castro's defense though (pun kind of intended there), he has a better percentage of runners thrown out though not sure which pitchers each guy has had as I'm too lazy too look that up. :D

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:45 PM)
Sample sizes suck, but just trying to be an ass here... (same # of ABs)

Castro: 6 GMs- 2/15 0 2B 2 R 0 HR 2 RBI 2 BB 5 SO 0 SB 0 CS (.133/.235/.133/.369) salary: 800K

Lucy: 7 GMs- 5/15 3 2B 2 R 1 HR 2 RBI 2 BB 3 SO 1 SB 0 CS (.333/.444/.733/1.178) salary: 400K

To Castro's defense though (pun kind of intended there), he has a better percentage of runners thrown out though not sure which pitchers each guy has had as I'm too lazy too look that up. :D

Lucy is going to be better defensively over a long haul, I have no doubt. And has better speed and athleticism. Both catchers have good reputations for pitcher handling. Castro is not a great hitter, but probably would be a bit better than Donny long run. That's a question mark though - Lucy hasn't had enough major league AB's to say that for sure.

Overall, I'd rather have Lucy, especially for half price, and the fact that he's on the better side of the age curve.

Long-term you have to imagine Lucy is the backup catcher, but for this year, Castro is getting paid more money and Lucy has an option (that has already been exercised so there's no need to worry about it anymore). For a position that is not vitally important, you may as well get whatever you can out of the $800k that Castro is being paid.

It is kind of funny/scary to consider that the Sox could have a very experienced pitching staff being caught by two rookies next season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
Long-term you have to imagine Lucy is the backup catcher, but for this year, Castro is getting paid more money and Lucy has an option (that has already been exercised so there's no need to worry about it anymore). For a position that is not vitally important, you may as well get whatever you can out of the $800k that Castro is being paid.

It is kind of funny/scary to consider that the Sox could have a very experienced pitching staff being caught by two rookies next season.

On that last part, since Lucy has been good at pitcher and game handling, I am hoping that he is helping Flowers in that regard down in Charlotte. In many ways, those two have complimentary skills that they could learn from each other.

This random but i just remembered it. I flipped on baseball tonight last night for about 3 minutes and saw the web gems and apparently the way they measure the daily winner is on the "BuehrleMeter". Last night's winner got 4 out of 10 "Buehrles". I thought that was kinda funny.

Posted this in the Santos Article Thread:

Anyone ever order a t-shirt from whitesox.com? I've heard they aren't like the ball park ones...that they lack the silver trim.

Can anyone confirm if they have the trim or not? If they have it, I'm ordering my Santos shirt ASAP.

some of you may find this as positive news, others unrealistic, but just posting it

in 2009, after 46 games we were 21-25 (we're 20-26 right now)

for us to win 90 games in 2010, we will have to play .603 ball the rest of the way and go (20-26 > 70-46 = 90-72)

QUOTE (Real @ May 26, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
some of you may find this as positive news, others unrealistic, but just posting it

in 2009, after 46 games we were 21-25 (we're 20-26 right now)

for us to win 90 games in 2010, we will have to play .603 ball the rest of the way and go (20-26 > 70-46 = 90-72)

Lets do it :headbang

(Gordon, that means start hitting. I mean hell, once that happens, the lineup suddenly seems cured of its cold sadness)

ESPN recently polled 100 MLB players about various topics. Among them: the last manager they would choose to play for. I was a little surprised to see that Ozzie Guillen was rated worst, getting 30% of the votes! What's your take on how the Sox players feel about Ozzie and could he be a factor in free agents going elsewhere? -- John M.; Vienna, Austria

I would look to the annual Sports Illustrated survey, which samples more major league players.

In the past few years, I had three agents grumble to me about the way their clients were treated by Ozzie. I asked them to go on the record with their thoughts. All three declined. One agent still represented a few players in the organization and feared retribution.

As the roster gradually changes, it will be interesting to see which free agents elect to sign here or go elsewhere after being courted by the Sox. But free agents usually make their decisions based on money and opportunity. Torii Hunter made his decision based largely on money, and I don't blame him for that.

mark gonzales/tribune.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 27, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Wow, the time to make a change with the manager is after this season, unless things turn around. That's pretty damaging comments posted by Gonzales.

Oh give me a break. Ozzie is a polarizing figure. There are simply going to be those that love him, and those that hate him.