NBA Offseason Thread

I don't believe for a moment Rose preferred Johnson over Lebron. Also, I'm sure the moment the report surfaced he placed a personal call with Lebron to clear any misconceptions.

Doesn't it just seem like someone is doing their due diligence to push Lebron away from us? We've had the no special privileges for his people story, the Rose story, and from the Rose part we now learn of Lebron's concern with our lack of a shooter all within one day. Strange how nothing much else is coming out about Miami, New York, or the Nets. Not that I believe this campaign, if it really exists, will accomplish much. It's basically the media equivalent of those goofy fans that believe putting together a song/dance routine will improve their chances.

I still believe he'll go back to Cleveland. But when I read stories such as this I think to myself that some people are getting concerned.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
I don't believe for a moment Rose preferred Johnson over Lebron. Also, I'm sure the moment the report surfaced he placed a personal call with Lebron to clear any misconceptions.

Doesn't it just seem like someone is doing their due diligence to push Lebron away from us? We've had the no special privileges for his people story, the Rose story, and from the Rose part we now learn of Lebron's concern with our lack of a shooter all within one day. Strange how nothing else is coming out about Miami, New York, or the Nets. Not that I believe this campaign, if it really exists, will accomplish much. It's basically the media equivalent of those goofy fans that believe putting together a song/dance routine will improve their chances.

I still believe he'll go back to Cleveland. But when I read stories such as this I think to myself that some people are getting concerned.

My first inclination of that was that they simply admitted for the first time in Cleveland that LeBron is carefully considering Chicago.

Agreed on the jumper (like I said, Wade wasn't a very good jump shooter when he was younger either, and it's just generally something you can improve on with work). I'm not sure Derrick Rose can become the best player in the NBA though, that's a bit of a stretch. He could move into the top 5, maybe even sneak into the top 3 in the coming years though.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
Agreed on the jumper (like I said, Wade wasn't a very good jump shooter when he was younger either, and it's just generally something you can improve on with work). I'm not sure Derrick Rose can become the best player in the NBA though, that's a bit of a stretch. He could move into the top 5, maybe even sneak into the top 3 in the coming years though.

I don't know what you guys have been watching, but Rose has never struck me as anywhere near the caliber of scorer as Wade is.

Just my personal opinion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
I don't know what you guys have been watching, but Rose has never struck me as anywhere near the caliber of scorer as Wade is.

I don't think he has that cutthroat attitude (yet) for it. It's something that every elite player has to have. The aggressiveness and desire to absolutely whatever is necessary. Thats why I get really excited when Derrick shows a lot of emotion and screams and yells and such. He's a pretty quiet guy and if he gets the killer instinct to just take over games at will, there aren't many people that could slow him down.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)

Well, I said potential. Its probably a stretch but it certainly wouldn't surprise me. If he keeps developing the outside game, it'll open him up that much more. He's got incredible speed, immense strength for a point guard, and finishes at the rim with the best of them. If he becomes consistent outside, it will make him that much more dangerous attacking the hoop. Not to mention he has a knack for where his teammates are on the court. With Kobe on the decline and Wade seemingly at the back end of his prime, he'll have to compete with the likes of Lebron, Melo, Durant, Williams.

D-Rose can penetrate and is creative in the rim and in traffic (very much in the same way Wade can). If he can extend his game out past 20 feet he will be an absolute force in the league (improving on defense won't hurt either).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
My first inclination of that was that they simply admitted for the first time in Cleveland that LeBron is carefully considering Chicago.

Cleveland fans on the Real GM are very confident he'll return. Hell, they have a good point; look at his website:

Personally directed by LeBron, the new site will keep you up to speed on his actions off the court, his focus on strengthening the community and why “It will always be about more than basketball”.

I hate to be that person taking everything as a hidden meaning, but it's his damn home page; he obviously has some input. The above statement doesn't sound like someone out to run out. If it just about basketball he'd be gone.

I'll say one thing, if Wade stays in Miami, Lebron stays in Cleveland, and Bosh goes wherever aside from here, I'll be upset, but ultimately, Bosh was never really linked here unless it was with Wade. And Lebron is puss whipped by his entourage and Cleveland's insistence that the town will be dead after he leaves.

We'll look back afterward and realize the signs were there, notably the WWW dismissal out of the inner circle. It was really some of his people realizing that Wes poses a threat to their comfort in Cleveland, and keeping him around affected their free ride; so he was sandbagged.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

He has incredible potential, the best (along with Wall) I'll probably ever see in the next decade, but I'm with you I'm skeptical if he'll ever fulfill it (then again I view Rose's upside enormously big unlike others). I don't even think he will ever hold Chris Paul's jock strap in the next 3 years as far as PGs, but Rose actually NEEDS the players which is why this FA is so important. If the Bulls strike out, I don't see Rose ever truly fulfilling his potential. If he gets a guy like LeBron (especially someone who can actually FINISH at the rim... f*** you Deng...) along with shooters then his assist will go up as well as his overall PER and defensive efficiencies. Thibo is the right step in his development however (especially defensively of course) over a coach who has never coached in his life.

All I know is the Lakers and their fans have to be loving this. The summer that was supposed to "reshape" the NBA is looking like nothing more than fabricated bulls*** hype. If Lebron and Wade stay put (and it's looking that way), what will have changed? Not a damn thing. Joe Johnson goes from a 2nd-tier SG to a 2nd-tier SG that's incredibly overpaid. Amare will more than likely be semi-exposed without Nash, not to mention the Suns are worse now. Dirk stayed put. Pierce stayed put. Boozer and Lee by themselves certainly won't make anybody a contender. Unless Bosh ends up in Chicago or Miami, exactly nothing will have changed. Lakers in 2011!

Edited by Jordan4life

If LeBron stays in Cleveland then he really is a diva

There was absolutely no reason to have this LeBronageddon summer if he is just going to stay in Cleveland.. He would have already resigned if that was the case.. whats the point of going through all of this? There is 100%, without a doubt, better options for him to play for than Cleveland.. If its about winning, Cleveland is not where he needs to be.. they cant beat Orlando, and they cant beat Boston.. Cleveland has literally no room to add anything of importance around him right now..

If the Bulls get Wade, or Wade AND Bosh that's just another team that Cleveland isn't going to be able to get past in the East.. Hell Miami might even end up with Wade and Bosh.. So basically if LeBron is looking at this, Boston will more than likely be returning the same team.. Orlando is still there.. the Bulls could potentially pass Cleveland up.. The Knicks may even make themselves a little more competitive depending on how their offseason finishes.. maybe its the Heat that bump themselves up.. I can tell you the one team that wont be improving, that's Cleveland..

If he stays in Cleveland its all about not hurting peoples feelings in the home town.. If he decides to stay, I don't think there is anyway he can justify that there is a better chance of winning there than in any of these other places courting him.. Wade isn't going back to Miami unless they get another piece for him, that's the whole reason he isn't locked up there already anyway..

Chicago is the PERFECT scenario for LeBron.. Even if all they got was LeBron, I don't see how they aren't the favorites to come out of the East.. And the crazy part is, even if they sign LeBron there is STILL room to add another big piece to that team.. there is just no way that he can explain why staying in Cleveland was a better choice than going to the Bulls.. and he pretty much will just be proving that he is an attention whore and its not about winning.. he has a chance to win multiple championships with a very, very good team..

If he stays in Cleveland, I hope the Bulls gets Wade and "Blank" and win the title next year so LeBron can sit there kicking himself saying "That coulda been me, at least Akron loves me"

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)
If LeBron stays in Cleveland then he really is a diva

There was absolutely no reason to have this LeBronageddon summer if he is just going to stay in Cleveland.. He would have already resigned if that was the case.. whats the point of going through all of this? There is 100%, without a doubt, better options for him to play for than Cleveland.. If its about winning, Cleveland is not where he needs to be.. they cant beat Orlando, and they cant beat Boston.. Cleveland has literally no room to add anything of importance around him right now..

If the Bulls get Wade, or Wade AND Bosh that's just another team that Cleveland isn't going to be able to get past in the East.. Hell Miami might even end up with Wade and Bosh.. So basically if LeBron is looking at this, Boston will more than likely be returning the same team.. Orlando is still there.. the Bulls could potentially pass Cleveland up.. The Knicks may even make themselves a little more competitive depending on how their offseason finishes.. maybe its the Heat that bump themselves up.. I can tell you the one team that wont be improving, that's Cleveland..

If he stays in Cleveland its all about not hurting peoples feelings in the home town.. If he decides to stay, I don't think there is anyway he can justify that there is a better chance of winning there than in any of these other places courting him.. Wade isn't going back to Miami unless they get another piece for him, that's the whole reason he isn't locked up there already anyway..

Chicago is the PERFECT scenario for LeBron.. Even if all they got was LeBron, I don't see how they aren't the favorites to come out of the East.. And the crazy part is, even if they sign LeBron there is STILL room to add another big piece to that team.. there is just no way that he can explain why staying in Cleveland was a better choice than going to the Bulls.. and he pretty much will just be proving that he is an attention whore and its not about winning.. he has a chance to win multiple championships with a very, very good team..

If he stays in Cleveland, I hope the Bulls gets Wade and "Blank" and win the title next year so LeBron can sit there kicking himself saying "That coulda been me, at least Akron loves me"

Lebron has quite possibly the largest ego in sports right now. The whole "Why should i congratulate somebody that just beat me?" after Dwight Howard and the Magic kicked his ass all but confirmed that. MJ could shake hands. Magic could shake hands. Bird could shake hands. Lebron? Why oh why?

I know I cannot be the only one who does this, but when people are anticipating important sports news do you purposely avoid anything that may give it away before you log onto Soxtalk? These last few days, I've been entering these threads blind; not knowing anything from ESPN, Real GM, the radio, basically any outlet. It's not so much this year, but I remember in the past I did it with the White Sox too. It's completely ridiculous, but it's like this exciting build up.

And what's strange is, I cannot even consider myself a basketball guy. I root for the Bulls, but my devotion to them is nowhere near that of the White Sox. This entire Lebron pimping experience has drawn me in.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:32 AM)
I know I cannot be the only one who does this, but when people are anticipating important sports news do you purposely avoid anything that may give it away before you log onto Soxtalk? These last few days, I've been entering these threads blind; not knowing anything from ESPN, Real GM, the radio, basically any outlet. It's not so much this year, but I remember in the past I did it with the White Sox too. It's completely ridiculous, but it's like this exciting build up.

And what's strange is, I cannot even consider myself a basketball guy. I root for the Bulls, but my devotion to them is nowhere near that of the White Sox. This entire Lebron pimping experience has drawn me in.

I'm not sure if I purposefully avoid the news, but I do come here first, and I do enjoy the build-up.

I value this community above all others, so naturally, this is where I come for all my sports news.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
I'm not sure if I purposefully avoid the news, but I do come here first, and I do enjoy the build-up.

I value this community above all others, so naturally, this is where I come for all my sports news.

This. I come to SoxTalk for 99% of my sports news.

Also, Toronto needs to look at what they could gain in a sign and trade:

From Bulls they could get: Luol Deng/Taj Gibson/Bobcats First Rounder or Taj/Pick/Massive Trade Exception

From Heat: Beasley/Chalmers/Anthony/Trade Exception

It's that or nothing, and a trade exception that big could be helpful.

When is the end of that camp for Lebron? It is tommorow right? What are the Cleveland writers and fans saying about the indications of that?

NOTE: I know my answers are somewhere in this thread I just dont want to read through everything. Thank you kind people.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
yeah the camp ends tomorrow. I don't know what people are saying, though.

they are not for sure what lebron will do....they said since WWW was kicked out of the inner circle the lebron camp has been close lipped.....

IraHeatBeat

Now entire Wade-Mourning press event has been canceled, so there is a chance Wade might not even leave gym from camp to see Heat caravan. 26 minutes ago via web

IraHeatBeat

Wade charity-related event canceled, due to awkwardness of potential free-agency questions and presence of Mourning. http://bit.ly/bhkHPD

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 06:51 AM)
IraHeatBeat

Now entire Wade-Mourning press event has been canceled, so there is a chance Wade might not even leave gym from camp to see Heat caravan. 26 minutes ago via web

IraHeatBeat

Wade charity-related event canceled, due to awkwardness of potential free-agency questions and presence of Mourning. http://bit.ly/bhkHPD

Hmm, that seems to weigh in the favor of Wade leaning towards the Bulls...