Galarraga perfect game broken up by umpire

fathom

Im all for a computer ump. Have a green light and a red light behind the plate, one for balls and one for strikes. The actual calls in the IF would be tougher to figure out, but the human error part is starting to get ridiculous in some of these sports.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:05 PM)
Im all for a computer ump. Have a green light and a red light behind the plate, one for balls and one for strikes. The actual calls in the IF would be tougher to figure out, but the human error part is starting to get ridiculous in some of these sports.

Sensors on the ball as well as the mitts and cleats for the infielders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
Besides the umpiring that is...

Okay?

See this is the problem with opening up the door.

We're not at the point where pitch f/x or Questech should be umpiring the game.

We just need some more extended instant replay options that can prevent huge errors like last night's.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Okay?

See this is the problem with opening up the door.

It's only a problem for current umpires and those attempting to become umpires. Which, judging from past posts of yours, that is exactly what you are.

My idea is there should be a system where invisible lasers are set up around home plate (above the plane of the plate, and at a side area that would allow someone to adjust the points depending on the height of the hitter), and the umpire would wear special glasses that allow him to see the colors. I'm basically envisioning a box, unlike that you would see on a K-Zone replay, that an umpire could easily distinguish when it crosses the plate as a strike.

Granted, any idea that removes the power of umpires to call balls and strikes is controversial, but I figure such a concept aides umpires -- opposed to removing them entirely -- and would allow many to hold onto their jobs.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
It's only a problem for current umpires and those attempting to become umpires. Which, judging from past posts of yours, that is exactly what you are.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
My idea is there should be a system where invisible lasers are set up around home plate (above the plane of the plate, and at a side area that would allow someone to adjust the points depending on the height of the hitter), and the umpire would wear special glasses that allow him to see the colors. I'm basically envisioning a box, unlike that you would see on a K-Zone replay, that an umpire could easily distinguish when it crosses the plate as a strike.

Granted, any idea that removes the power of umpires to call balls and strikes is controversial, but I figure such a concept aides umpires -- opposed to removing them entirely -- and would allow many to hold onto their jobs.

No it's a problem because it's a ridiculous notion. I'm OK with expanded replay but balls and strikes electronically with some goofy system? We might as well play a video game. Balls and strikes aren't even the calls that people are upset with, or that need review, so not sure why anyone's going there. Umpires regularly score extremely high on the Questec scores, and get so many close calls right, but those never get talked about. All you're really trying to do here is get a safe guard in place so that when it's an important playoff game with a huge call, it might not cost a team a game. Which is perfectly fine.

It won't happen so I'm not worried. They'll have their jobs regardless, as you need human beings on the field.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
You maybe the only one who has sympathy for the umpire. Ha

Nope, I have sympathy for Joyce. I didn't for West, but Joyce just blew a call at the wrong time. It is the human element of the game that makes me love baseball, unlike football where you can get away with some bulls*** because of a replay. The day they start inserting instant replay in the MLB is the day that I want instant replay in little league, high school, college, and the minor leagues, or I will advocate for a system where there are no human umpires, and just a computer for the manager to beat the s*** out when he's either dead wrong or just being a f***ing son of a b****.

Overturn the last out, and give Joyce props for admitting he had done something wrong, unlike that fat f*** West who just sat there and shot fighting words back at Buehrle and Guillen.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
Deeply hating specific teams is kind of pointless. Very 'look at me look what i'm doing'

So to open up a new can of worms, we can't hate the Cubs or their fans? Their stupid fans really have issues with any negative comment that I direct towards them this year, and it is becoming ridiculous.

I don't give two s***s about teams other than the White Sox, and I certainly don't think that Joyce should be suspended for this, just because of the high profile nature of this call that he blew at the wrong time. I am the first to say that while I don't love baseball, I am an umpire. An IHSA patched official, and each day, I learn something new about the game. So I suggest that Hawk (screw you Hawk, I can't stand your b****ing during the broadcasts) and the rest of those morons who b**** about balks at the game maybe read what the rules are in baseball or put the pads on and umpire a game yourself. Seriesly.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
Nope, I have sympathy for Joyce. I didn't for West, but Joyce just blew a call at the wrong time. It is the human element of the game that makes me love baseball, unlike football where you can get away with some bulls*** because of a replay. The day they start inserting instant replay in the MLB is the day that I want instant replay in little league, high school, college, and the minor leagues, or I will advocate for a system where there are no human umpires, and just a computer for the manager to beat the s*** out when he's either dead wrong or just being a f***ing son of a b****.

Overturn the last out, and give Joyce props for admitting he had done something wrong, unlike that fat f*** West who just sat there and shot fighting words back at Buehrle and Guillen.

So to open up a new can of worms, we can't hate the Cubs or their fans? Their stupid fans really have issues with any negative comment that I direct towards them this year, and it is becoming ridiculous.

I don't give two s***s about teams other than the White Sox, and I certainly don't think that Joyce should be suspended for this, just because of the high profile nature of this call that he blew at the wrong time. I am the first to say that while I don't love baseball, I am an umpire. An IHSA patched official, and each day, I learn something new about the game. So I suggest that Hawk (screw you Hawk, I can't stand your b****ing during the broadcasts) and the rest of those morons who b**** about balks at the game maybe read what the rules are in baseball or put the pads on and umpire a game yourself. Seriesly.

What the hell are you talking about in this post. "unlike football where you can get away with some bulls*** because of replay"? What does that it even mean? And I will never understand why people find it preferable to have a human element to officiating in sports and have officials consistently get calls wrong. With that said baseball umpires for the most part do a very good job and I really don't think replay in baseball is practical. If a ball is called foul when it was really fair what do you determine the result to be? Do you give them a base hit automatically, is it the umps judgment call, etc? Even worse would be close plays involving whether a ball is caught or not, the umps call completely changes how those plays play out and replay doesn't solve this problem.

Selig decided not to reverse Joyce's call, thank goodness. That would have just been idiotic, and sent a terrible precedent. The only example of something even close to that happening I can think of is the pine tar game, and it was stupid they replayed that. If the Cardinals didn't get a call that cost them the World Series overturned, and none of those awful calls last postseason were overturned, this shouldn't be either.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
I'd probably be more upset if it wasn't the 3rd perfect game in 3 weeks.

That's kind of how I feel, and what Kalapse said.

Also, I wouldn't have been able to see this coming yesterday, but I really feel bad for Joyce. From hearing him talk he really knows he f***ed up bad, and he knows there's nothing he can do about it and you know he badly wishes he could. The way the whole thing was handled by the main people involved (Galarraga and Joyce) was 100% class.

Edited by lostfan

Thank you Ed West

This has been going on in baseball forever. It's part of the game because much of the rules are, indeed subjective. No apologies or overturning rules. This is so much the "pussification of the USA" that I've ever seen!

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
Galarraga is now one of my favorite players. I love how classy he has been. Milt Pappas can sure learn some lessons from him.

Galarraga is definitely the minority here.

When a close pitch is called to break up a perfect game, it'd be hard to get over it.

Speaking of Pappas:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5247591

I love baseball and I hate umpires... but then again, 90% of people who have played at any level hate umpires, it's just the way it goes. Seriously, they made a movie about it called "Kill the Umpire."

No offense to you, well, only when you put on that navy blue polo, lol.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
This has been going on in baseball forever. It's part of the game because much of the rules are, indeed subjective. No apologies or overturning rules. This is so much the "pussification of the USA" that I've ever seen!

LOL wut?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:42 AM)
I love baseball and I hate umpires... but then again, 90% of people who have played at any level hate umpires, it's just the way it goes. Seriously, they made a movie about it called "Kill the Umpire."

No offense to you, well, only when you put on that navy blue polo, lol.

Sometimes, I really want to kill the manager and his incompetent fans. Or the fans at the Cell that yell "balk" when the pitcher clearly just disengages from the mound.

Per the Chicago Tribune, Buehrle and Rogers said and wrote some things that I agree with wholeheartedly.

"There are so many close calls in a game, so where do you draw the line? Buehrle asked. "Stolen bases, guys tagged out at home, so many plays at first base that are bang-bang plays, where do you draw the line? "The game is already long enough. … Anything that will make the game longer, no, I don't like it."

"It's hard (to have more replays) because then what do we need to have the umpires for? We have to trust them, we have to respect them. We don't have to like them, but that's their job."

--Mark Buehrle

"To do so would have been crazy. You can't change what happened. Donald reached first base, and that means Galarraga did not throw a perfect game. You can't change the call after the fact. The rules of baseball say that judgment calls cannot be appealed, and that's the case, at least until MLB announces it is expanding its limited use of instant replay...Mistakes are unavoidable in every walk of life. Everyone involved in this one has responded in remarkable fashion — no replay required."
--Phil Rogers

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)

I like this post.

Officiating pro sports has become more difficult since players are much faster these days.

Some people should watch an NBA game then come back and complain about officiating.

Thumbs up for the ump who humbled himself to admitting he blew a call.