If we do get back in this. . .

GreatScott82

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
Man, what is with you and Garrett Jones? Your obsession is very similar to that of Glenn Close's with Michael Douglas.

:huh:

I've only mentioned him twice in that Cubs thread. He rapes the Cubs when he sees them yes (though I rarely catch Cubs games and rarely talk about them at all), but I like his game. Now Dexter Fowler, Cole Hamels, or Miguel Cabrera on the other hand.... well.... call me their stalker.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
:huh:

I've only mentioned him twice in that Cubs thread. He rapes the Cubs when he sees them yes (though I rarely catch Cubs games and rarely talk about them at all), but I like his game. Now Dexter Fowler, Cole Hamels, or Miguel Cabrera on the other hand.... well.... call me their stalker.

Twice? I must be smoking too much weed then.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
Twice? I must be smoking too much weed then.

Haha, well that isn't the first time you've said that either bro. :D

My two post about him here and here and my usual announcement of my Dexter Fowler/Rockies second favorite team mancrush here on the Cubs thread I post on from time to time.

Yonder Alonso perhaps, young, cheap, can step in next season at 1B if/when Paulie walks and is blocked behing Votto. Maybe the Sox could swing a deal with Quentin, Hudson, and another lower level spect for Alonso and Bray. Teahen could move back to the OF and use a combination of Viciendo/Vizquel/and possibly Lilli at third.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
Yonder Alonso perhaps, young, cheap, can step in next season at 1B if/when Paulie walks and is blocked behing Votto. Maybe the Sox could swing a deal with Quentin, Hudson, and another lower level spect for Alonso and Bray. Teahen could move back to the OF and use a combination of Viciendo/Vizquel/and possibly Lilli at third.

Have you seen Alonso's numbers this year? He's got a lower OPS than Jordan Danks does in the International League? He's far from a sure thing and right now it's doubtful he'll be ready at the start of 2011.

The only way you trade Hudson is if you are getting a proven star in return.

If our corner outfielders are Juan Pierre and Mark Teahen next year then we are in real bad shape.

There is a good chance Vizquel retires after this season, so I wouldn't factor him in to your 2011 plans just yet.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Have you seen Alonso's numbers this year? He's got a lower OPS than Jordan Danks does in the International League? He's far from a sure thing and right now it's doubtful he'll be ready at the start of 2011.

The only way you trade Hudson is if you are getting a proven star in return.

If our corner outfielders are Juan Pierre and Mark Teahen next year then we are in real bad shape.

There is a good chance Vizquel retires after this season, so I wouldn't factor him in to your 2011 plans just yet.

why would you even want him in your plans

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
I'll throw Brad Hawpe's name out there, .281/.367/.467/.834. Won't really cost much, talent-wise.

I think I'd rather have LaRoche than Scott. Both are nice players, but I'd be reluctant with Scott by how he fell off last year after the ASB. His Pre-ASB OPS was .976 and post was .667. While on the other hand, it's almost a sure thing LaRoche will have two amazing months in the second half of the season.

Watching the Sox play in National Park(how the ball just seemed to hang up in the outfield) it's incredible to think Dunn hit 38 homers last year. And beyond comprehension on what he'd hit at US Cellular. If the White Sox are buyers: Dunn, LaRoche, Hawpe; seem like the three names that would come up, maybe an improbable chance of a Fielder trade. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's see if we can continue this after interleague play.

I love Hawpe, and would be very happy if the Sox acquired him. But the Rockies are only 4 games out in the NL West, and they typically make their big playoff push down the stretch toward the end of the season, so I'm not sure if they'd deal him away.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)

Notwithstanding the fact that the Reds will probably use Alonso themselves as a piece to fill one of their own holes.

If you haven't noticed, they're kind of in the thick of things themselves...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Loney wouldn't require Gavin.

We shouldn't have to get rid of any big pieces for this bat we're trying to get.

I don't think the Sox should trade the one young starter we have that is under contract. Wouldn't make much sense. I like Loney a lot though, but I wouldn't give up Floyd for him. However, Loney isn't exactly a middle of the order run producer. I think he hasn't reached his ceiling yet though. Loney is kind of the modern day Mark Grace (good defense, nice average, little power).

Dodgers could use pitching though and they don't have the ability to take on salary. I also want to point out that trading for Loney gives you a gold glove caliber 1st baseman, who could also play a mediocre left, but quite frankly, the Sox have Konerko right now and Viciedo long-term seems to be our fit at 1st. Sure there is the DH spot ,but I don't like the idea of spending a lot of prospects or top notch talent on who wouldn't be able to play in an NL park (because I tend to think Paulie is the better offensive of the two players at this current point in time, due to his additional power). Loney's power numbers would increase a bit by moving to the cell though.

Berkman would be a solid get. But I wouldn't give up major pieces to get him.

If I were going to buy a Dodger, I'd look at Matt Kemp. Not that we would get him, but I'd consider moving Floyd for Kemp. Not sure if the Dodgers or Sox would do that and I'm probably the worse person to determine the value of Floyd, since I think when he's on, he's the best pitcher we got, well maybe 2nd best, Peavy is pretty nasty too.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Notwithstanding the fact that the Reds will probably use Alonso themselves as a piece to fill one of their own holes.

If you haven't noticed, they're kind of in the thick of things themselves...

Good point and I just don't see them moving Votto to LF to get Alonso into the lineup. I think your spot-on in that he's their key trading chip at this year's deadline.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Luke Scott's probably the best cost effective player I've seen mentioned so far in this thread.

Way to streaky for my taste. He'll get hot and hit you 12 homers in a month, then the following month you will be lucky to get 12 total hits out of him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
Way to streaky for my taste. He'll get hot and hit you 12 homers in a month, then the following month you will be lucky to get 12 total hits out of him.

Well you ride him while he's hot, and then put in Jones / Kotsay when he's not.

All depends on what you have to give up for him though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't think the Sox should trade the one young starter we have that is under contract. Wouldn't make much sense. I like Loney a lot though, but I wouldn't give up Floyd for him. However, Loney isn't exactly a middle of the order run producer. I think he hasn't reached his ceiling yet though. Loney is kind of the modern day Mark Grace (good defense, nice average, little power).

Dodgers could use pitching though and they don't have the ability to take on salary. I also want to point out that trading for Loney gives you a gold glove caliber 1st baseman, who could also play a mediocre left, but quite frankly, the Sox have Konerko right now and Viciedo long-term seems to be our fit at 1st. Sure there is the DH spot ,but I don't like the idea of spending a lot of prospects or top notch talent on who wouldn't be able to play in an NL park (because I tend to think Paulie is the better offensive of the two players at this current point in time, due to his additional power). Loney's power numbers would increase a bit by moving to the cell though.

Berkman would be a solid get. But I wouldn't give up major pieces to get him.

If I were going to buy a Dodger, I'd look at Matt Kemp. Not that we would get him, but I'd consider moving Floyd for Kemp. Not sure if the Dodgers or Sox would do that and I'm probably the worse person to determine the value of Floyd, since I think when he's on, he's the best pitcher we got, well maybe 2nd best, Peavy is pretty nasty too.

I would love Kemp and would trade Floyd for him in an instant. An outfield of Kemp Rios and Q would be one of the best in the league. Berkman hasnt hit for 2 years, maybe he is done.

Wow. I just perused the rosters of teams not doing so well, and there's not many options for what the Sox need (power lefty). I didn't see any names I could add. I like the idea of LaRoche or Berkman or even Luke Scott.

On a side note, is Todd Helton really making almost $18 million this year? Yikes.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Luke Scott's probably the best cost effective player I've seen mentioned so far in this thread.

Cost also factors into the type of talent you give up in a trade. I don't see them giving up anything other then B-prospects, so people who are suggesting Yonder/Kila/or any other young talent is missing the point. The point is to trade for a productive over-priced short term solution.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 11:08 AM)
I would love Kemp and would trade Floyd for him in an instant. An outfield of Kemp Rios and Q would be one of the best in the league. Berkman hasnt hit for 2 years, maybe he is done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ap8j...endegrees062010

I think you might want to pay particular attention to the Matt Kemp discussion in this article....one of the season's biggest disappointments, along with the declines of Porcello, Beckham and Peavy (no mention of Quentin at least).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ap8j...endegrees062010

I think you might want to pay particular attention to the Matt Kemp discussion in this article....one of the season's biggest disappointments, along with the declines of Porcello, Beckham and Peavy (no mention of Quentin at least).

Thats ok. He wouldn't play CF for us and I think he can rake. He is only 25 and Rios had a much worse year last year and look at him now. I would also take Porcello and Weiters on that list, not that they are available.

Fielder and Dunn are pipe dreams. The Sox aren't going to give up any highly-regarded prospects this year, and both would cost at least one.

LaRoche and Berkman and are the most realistic options. Given Berkman's age, recent injury issues, and complete loss of power this year, I'd go with LaRoche.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 21, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
Fielder and Dunn are pipe dreams. The Sox aren't going to give up any highly-regarded prospects this year, and both would cost at least one.

LaRoche and Berkman and are the most realistic options. Given Berkman's age, recent injury issues, and complete loss of power this year, I'd go with LaRoche.

Fielder would cost more than one, I agree pipe dream.