Ozzie doesn't want to add anyone...

Heads22

Chris Davis wouldn't be the answer for anything unless we desperately want a .200 hitter who strikes out about once every 3 AB's, and the only positive he would bring is the fact you have a decent chance of getting a BP home run ball from him if you sit in the RF bleachers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
The biggest hole in this team is a potent left handed bat. Not only isn't there a single LH power hitter on the 40 man roster, but there really isn't one in the entire organization. This glaring deficiency has become even more apparent with Teahen's injury, although he really isn't that good to begin with.

It's important to have a least one LH threat because pitchers just get too comfortable facing one right handed hitter after another. Moreover, late in the game, this team's lineup doesn't force the opposing manager to make any lefty-righty match ups, unless of course there is a left handed starter. Does he really need to go to the bullpen to bring in a left handed reliever to face A.J., Kotsay, or Teahen?

It would be interesting to research how many teams have ever made it deep into the post season without at least one dangerous left handed hitter. I can't think of one, can you?

So, who is out there, and who could the Sox afford to give up in exchange?

Many of you have mentioned Dunn, Fielder, La Roche, Markakis, Shin-Soo Choo and A. Gonzales.

Perhaps K.W. should target a younger player who hasn't yet completely established himself, as the others would cost too much, both in players sacrificed and salary owed.

I mentioned Chris Davis some time ago, and I still think that he's a good candidate. Texas needs pitching, and Davis is blocked by Smoak at 1B.

They have Davis playing a lot of 3B at AAA. He had a great half season for the Rangers a couple of years ago, when he was just 22, and he's tearing up AAA this year. I understand that he has struggled a bit with his big swing, but he's young enough to make adjustments.

Perhaps the Sox could offer Garcia. He could help the Rangers rotation, and the Sox have Hudson to take Freddy's place as the 5th starter.

If Davis is not the answer, then I'd search for a similar young LH power hitter who could fill that void, not only this year, but for several years to come.

The 2005 Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 07:50 AM)
The 2005 Chicago White Sox.

Well, they did have Everett, and he was dangerous enough as a left handed hitter to at least force the opposing manager to make a pitching change, late in a game.

Most managers are going to say "i like what we have here". Its the right thing to say, esspecially when the team just won 11 games in a row. However, if KW wants to make a serious run at more than just a division title, he WILL get that hitter. KW will make a trade, I can promise you that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Well, they did have Everett, and he was dangerous enough as a left handed hitter to at least force the opposing manager to make a pitching change, late in a game.

Carl Everett was worthless that season.

He posted a .317 wOBA, a .745 OPS, and a WAR of exactly 0.0.

He gave replacement level performance. Mark Kotsay can almost do what he did.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
A manager telling the press that he wants his GM to add to his roster suggests that he lacks confidence in his players. So of course Ozzie's going to tell the media that he doesn't want to add anybody.

/thread

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
I have to agree with WCSox, calm down people, Kenny knows what this club needs and will do what he can to help it win the divison.

He always has, im sure of it.

Ya well we thought the same thing in the offseason and the club was left as is. So unfortunately until Kenny does something I'm stuck with believing that we're not going to do anything because for some reason Ozzie thinks this club is perfect.

Because right now he's either lying to the fan base or holds a really dumb position.

Or maybe the fan base is smart enough to realize managers have to say they like their current team and need nothing else.

It is obvious Oz still likes Kotsay, but at least he isn't playing Jones as much as he used to.

I think we'd be fine if he'd just stop being stubborn and let Viciedo be a regular. Of course, that phenom the Pirates called up is hitting below .100 in his first 30 at bats and strikes out every other at bat so there still could be some adjustment time for Dayan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Or maybe the fan base is smart enough to realize managers have to say they like their current team and need nothing else.

It is obvious Oz still likes Kotsay, but at least he isn't playing Jones as much as he used to.

I think we'd be fine if he'd just stop being stubborn and let Viciedo be a regular. Of course, that phenom the Pirates called up is hitting below .100 in his first 30 at bats and strikes out every other at bat so there still could be some adjustment time for Dayan.

Guess we'll never know since he's relegated to Gatorade duty.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Ya well we thought the same thing in the offseason and the club was left as is. So unfortunately until Kenny does something I'm stuck with believing that we're not going to do anything because for some reason Ozzie thinks this club is perfect.

:notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)

The players are smart enough to realize that, too, so it really serves absolutely no purpose to say something that is not true. Unless Ozzie really does hold that dumb position, which is possible.

What if their are players on the team that think the team does need a good LH bat to make a serious run?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
The players are smart enough to realize that, too, so it really serves absolutely no purpose to say something that is not true. Unless Ozzie really does hold that dumb position, which is possible.

What if their are players on the team that think the team does need a good LH bat to make a serious run?

They guy took Mark Kotsay over Jim Thome.

It really shouldn't come as a surprise that he would say such a thing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)

Ozzie might think that this club is perfect, but this club isn't perfect.

Kenny makes the moves and he has made moves over the past 5 years, if not more.

http://www.csnchicago.com/06/28/10/Sox-Dra...&feedID=665

Kenny knows this club needs help.

It's frustrating seeing anything that states the Sox might not want to add to their offense because Kotsay needs regular at bats to stay sharp. The whole point of having him on the roster is that he's a veteran pinch hitter. If anything, he's been better when he got sporadic playing time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
It's frustrating seeing anything that states the Sox might not want to add to their offense because Kotsay needs regular at bats to stay sharp. The whole point of having him on the roster is that he's a veteran pinch hitter. If anything, he's been better when he got sporadic playing time.

Right. He's a career pinch hitter...one of the best at being a pinch hitter. I would have absolutely no problem keeping around in that capacity.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Right. He's a career pinch hitter...one of the best at being a pinch hitter. I would have absolutely no problem keeping around in that capacity.

Unfortunately if you have an ideal part time player on Ozzie Guillen's roster then you have to prepare to see him play way more than he should.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)

As much as we need a LH bat, I'd still rather see Jones than Kotsay. His upside is much higher, and he has never had much of a problem hitting RH pitching. He also improves the defense when he's in the outfield. But then we've discussed all of that earlier in the season.

I understand that Jones' average really went south, but that may be attributable to his lack of playing time. Kotsay has proven that he can produce while playing very sporadically. After all, he's a great pinch hitter. However, Jones is a slugger, and he needs to play regularly to keep his timing sharp. If they are only going to play him versus lefties, they would be better off not playing him at all.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
As much as we need a LH bat, I'd still rather see Jones than Kotsay. His upside is much higher, and he has never had much of a problem hitting RH pitching. He also improves the defense when he's in the outfield. But then we've discussed all of that earlier in the season.

I understand that Jones' average really went south, but that may be attributable to his lack of playing time. Kotsay has proven that he can produce while playing very sporadically. After all, he's a great pinch hitter. However, Jones is a slugger, and he needs to play regularly to keep his timing sharp. If they are only going to play him versus lefties, they would be better off not playing him at all.

Jones has actually been worse than Kotsay the past month and a half.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)

Not really... read random comments outside of Soxtalk sometime...

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
Even if Ozzie's words mean nothing in the long run -- whether he's blowing smoke or really has no say in personnel -- it's still annoying to read quote such as these.

Why does this annoy anybody? Why would a manager ever say, "Yeah I don't think my team is good enough, we could use some help"? Especially while the team is playing well. I never understand this reaction from people.

It's talk. Nothing more. Trust me, if there's something available to them and they can swing a deal, they'll make one. Ozzie said the same thing during the offseason, and KW still went hard after Damon.