Please DH Quentin

GREEDY

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
I think his speed advantage alone makes this untrue, but he's going to be just as bad very soon.

Dye was a decent outfielder in terms of running routes and getting good reads, he was just way too damn slow. Quentin's just a little bit faster, but he looks clueless on balls out there at times.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Dye was a decent outfielder in terms of running routes and getting good reads, he was just way too damn slow. Quentin's just a little bit faster, but he looks clueless on balls out there at times.

Yeah, and Dye had a pretty good glove too. It seems that whatever he could get to, he got. They seem pretty much equally bad in my mind.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Quentin's just a little bit faster, but he looks clueless on balls out there at times.

I will admit but TCQ's "awkwardness" has to lead to him "looking" like a worse defender than he really is

BUT

Jones and Kotsay are clearly the better defenders so they need to be out there and Carlos needs to DH.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I will admit but TCQ's "awkwardness" has to lead to him "looking" like a worse defender than he really is

BUT

Jones and Kotsay are clearly the better defenders so they need to be out there and Carlos needs to DH.

I have to respectfully disagree. CQ is every bit as bad as he looks in RF. And I agree that he needs to DH.

6 pages for the ghost of Jeremy Reed, and 9 posts for what is either a horrible managerial move or the front office telling Ozzie that TCQ needs to play in the field.

Even if this is a slam dunk people should be upset with either Ozzie or KW.

I was about to write how the last time I checked Fangraphs Quentin had a way to go before matching Dye's UZR which was usually in the solid -20s, but I just checked for accuracy and CQ is a -30.9 for 2010 so far... ouch. It's not a full season, but that is worse than Dye has ever been.

Dye was once a very good outfielder. He slowed later and that cost him but he was and probably still is better than CQ in the field. If CQ is DH then we have "swing for the fences with every swing" Jones in the batting order. Pick your poison.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Dye was once a very good outfielder. He slowed later and that cost him but he was and probably still is better than CQ in the field. If CQ is DH then we have "swing for the fences with every swing" Jones in the batting order. Pick your poison.

Or you could have worded it:

If CQ is RF then we have "swing for the fences with every swing" Jones or "shouldn't be playing more than once a week" Kotsay in the batting order. Pick your poison.

The question I inevitably ask every time this topic comes up is will there be a difference in Q's offensive performance based on whether he plays the field or not? We all know he is a horrendous OF. The question is not whether he should be playing the field, but rather, would there be an affect on his offense if he was not playing the field, and if so, what kind?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
The question I inevitably ask every time this topic comes up is will there be a difference in Q's offensive performance based on whether he plays the field or not? We all know he is a horrendous OF. The question is not whether he should be playing the field, but rather, would there be an affect on his offense if he was not playing the field, and if so, what kind?

Doesn't it seem though that if anything is having an impact on his offense, it's the constant bumps and bruises he's suffering from playing in the outfield? It's a small sample size, but he was great as the DH against KC.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)

I've heard it said that Quentin would have too much time to think about bad at bats sitting in the dugout while DHing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
Doesn't it seem though that if anything is having an impact on his offense, it's the constant bumps and bruises he's suffering from playing in the outfield? It's a small sample size, but he was great as the DH against KC.

I think he gets injured no matter what he does. He probably injures himself while sleeping with his wife.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
I've heard it said that Quentin would have too much time to think about bad at bats sitting in the dugout while DHing.

And if that is indeed the case, would his offense suffer enough to justify the downgrade he is defensively when he plays instead of Jones or Kotsay?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
And if that is indeed the case, would his offense suffer enough to justify the downgrade he is defensively when he plays instead of Jones or Kotsay?

I don't know, but there's a good chance he becomes disgruntled if he's made to be the full time DH at such a young age. That would greatly diminish his worth, wouldn't it? And he hasn't had a chance to sign a big contract yet.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

I think it's safe to say what a lot of people have been thinking for a while now:

Carlos Quentin is injury prone. We couldn't say it when he broke his wrist, but with the Plantar Fasciatis, quad/hamstring issues, and freak accidental injuries like hurting his hand sliding into a bag, he's injury prone. Whether you want to argue it being due to he's over-playing, or if he's unlucky, or if he's fragile, the end result is that he gets hurt quite a bit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)

Hard to say. He has a career .832 OPS as a DH compared to a .844 OPS overall. Virtually no difference. But he's only had 84 ABs as a DH--so it's a very small sample size.

He has a 1.148 OPS in 22 ABs as a pinch hitter (which I guess is kind of like DHing).