White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
I think that Jackson could be exponentially better than Hudson.

There is a reason why the Sox made the deal, and its not because they are in the business of overpaying for players who arent as good.

My guess is that Coop soured on Hudson, while at the same time he likes Jackson.

Agreed with all of this.

Could be a case of the grass is always greener, but I just dont have a lot of faith in Hudson. He may prove me wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if the guy never is a major league starter either.

Jackson is barely a major league starter, and he's owed ~$10M. If Kenny was looking to move Hudson before he was exposed as over-hyped, he could've dealt him for another prospect. Taking on that salary for a below-average pitcher when the Sox already have something like $70M committed to next season and several holes to fill makes little sense to me.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
Cowley was just saying the Big deal KW is working on is still going and its supposedly for someone noone is talking about.. no idea who it could be.

I have no idea who this is but it really excites me!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
again, not that I don't believe posters when they post things, but source? His twitter last said "don't confuse quite with inactivity"

He is on the score radio show right now, I heard the same thing too.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
Yes trading a SP who's under team control for 6 more years for a SP who's marginally better, cost 10x more, and is only under team control for another year; qualifies as a sh**ty move. More so than the Swisher trades. In the 1st Swisher trade no prospect came close to Hudson's value now(losing Sweeney sucked but we didn't completely overpay); the 2nd trade, we did get screwed return-wise, but at least we were dumping Swisher's increasing salary that helped us re-sign Floyd, trade for Peavy, and acquire Rios.

In this trade we took on ~$10M in salary for a minimal upgrade. And please don't give me the "he's young" talk, he's under team control for another year and guess who is agent is....Boras. Don't talk about how someone is a great young project when they're paid like a proven veteran.

Sweeney had arguably as much if not more value than Hudson did. Hudson was an unknown up until last year. The 2nd Swisher trade, we received absolute garbage. Betemit sucked it up so bad, that despite Ozzie trying to force him to play at least halfway decent, he couldn't. Even Ozzie mentioned it. Marquez is hot trash and Nunez ain't so much better.

I'm also pretty sure Floyd would've been resigned regardless. Rios was considered a dumb move by everyone when it actually happened except for like 5 people on this board. Peavy was no sure thing. Also, hindsight is a dangerous thing. Who's to say KW wouldn't have had a different plan to get us some players? KW usually has a Plan Z for things.

As far as upgrade, you haven't seen him pitch with us. We do not know how he's going to perform. You can say he's sucked this year, but that's why he was available to us. He also was pretty good the previous two years in the AL against good hitting ballclubs. You also don't know if Hudson will ever figure it out. He can easily become another Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
Did Cowley just say that Ozzie once wrote up a lineup with Pierre hitting 4th? I wouldn't be suprised at all.

I believe Ozzie said something along the lines that if he was GM he'd have Pierre batting 4th (implying his lineup would be a bunch of scrappy/slappy hitters).

well, this thread is long enough and all over the place, so mods, any objection with playing the "guess who Cowley is talking about game"?

Somebody mentioned Ethier earlier, good choice, I'll go with a little bit of an underwhelming name since he's RH, but Uggla.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Cowley was just saying the Big deal KW is working on is still going and its supposedly for someone noone is talking about.. no idea who it could be.

Holding out hope it's for Ichiro.

:P

I have no idea how other teams rate him, but just because he's #1 in a bad system doesn't make him worth more than 5-10 in strong systems.

A lot of people on this board who look at numbers, study minor leaguers were all excited over Hudson a few weeks ago. I thought he looked pretty good on the mound as I wasn't expecting a rookie to dominate right away.

Now we are saying maybe he just wasn't that good? Well he was our top prospect and all we could do with him was trade him for a salary dump??

Weird.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
well, this thread is long enough and all over the place, so mods, any objection with playing the "guess who Cowley is talking about game"?

Somebody mentioned Ethier earlier, good choice, I'll go with a little bit of an underwhelming name since he's RH, but Uggla.

Ethier? lol. That's not happening.

I am really encouraged by the prospect of Edwin Jackson.

The last time that we heard, "We see 1 flaw in his mechanics." was with Thornton - and we've helped him reach his ceiling.

I do not know if you guys realize this but... Edwin Jackson's ceiling is an ACE. What he did last year in Detroit was nice - but his ceiling is still higher than that.

He has the potential to be a 20 game winner with a low or sub 3 ERA / low 1 WHIP.

This could be another trade that makes a lot of you appreciate our GM, our management, and our scouting.

I also remember Contreras and have a similar feeling regarding this trade as I did at that time.

When we traded for Contreras, everyone was saying he was horrid - was a failure - wasn't a successful pitcher - was a bum - etc.

We heard at that time, "He may be tipping his pitches and we can fix that."

Another similar situation where our team helped a struggling pitcher reach their potential.

Even if Edwin doesn't get traded by us in another deal - I am happy with this.

I love this guys stuff and have always thought he will be an amazing starter some day.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Agreed with all of this.

Jackson is barely a major league starter, and he's owed ~$10M. If Kenny was looking to move Hudson before he was exposed as over-hyped, he could've dealt him for another prospect. Taking on that salary for a below-average pitcher when the Sox already have something like $70M committed to next season and several holes to fill makes little sense to me.

Usually teams don't trade top prospects for top prospects for the reason you mentioned. The team receiving the overhyped prospect would think to themselves, "Why do they want to trade us their top pitching prospect for one of our guys?" Then they'll proceed not to do the deal because they'll think possible injury, lack of potential, or lack of major league potential.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
thanks for the LOL baseball guru, just killing time and throwing names out, and it was one I didn't even bring up initially.

Originally when Cowley said Kenny is working on a 'world shocker' we were throwing out names that would really 'shock the world' take it with a grain of salt, and this isn't meant to you bud, just overall.

Edited by justBLAZE