White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
That is fantastic.

Any way you can digitally place a cucumber in his mouth?

Too much work.

Incredibly-Frustrating-GM-Adam-Dunn-Did-

If you feel creative...http://memegenerator.net/Incredibly-Frustrating-GM

Edited by chw42

I am not sure if this has been brought up but I hope his 149 pitch outing will not come back to haunt us later on. At the moment when I saw him throwing all those pitches I was like ehh that's not our problem. But now we will have to keep our fingers crossed

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
I am not sure if this has been brought up but I hope his 149 pitch outing will not come back to haunt us later on. At the moment when I saw him throwing all those pitches I was like ehh that's not our problem. But now we will have to keep our fingers crossed

He's been awful since then. 7.24 ERA. OPS against him of .908, in the 5 starts since that outing.

Playing the optimist: Jackson has nasty stuff that is arguably the best on the staff. He was an uber-prospect, on par with Floyd and Danks, and if Coop could turn him around we'd have a hell of a weapon. This is a guy who has the potential to throw Sergio Santos-like stuff for seven innings. Unfortunately, he's yet to realize that potential. Here’s hoping he does.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Playing the optimist: Jackson has nasty stuff that is arguably the best on the staff. He was an uber-prospect, on par with Floyd and Danks, and if Coop could turn him around we'd have a hell of a weapon. This is a guy who has the potential to throw Sergio Santos-like stuff for seven innings. Unfortunately, he's yet to realize that potential. Here’s hoping he does.

Doubtful this will happen in all of two months. Yeah, Cooper has had success with similar projects. But not in a two month period.

I'm not at all upset that Hudson and someone I've never heard of who throws 86 netted Jackson. I trust our guys to make good decisions when it comes to pitching. The only way I'd be happy to get Dunn is with guys like Morel, Flowers, Jordan Danks, etc. That's the most I'd be willing to give for a 2 month rental. No deal? Have fun only being relevant if/when Strasburg throws for the next few years.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
I don't understand why he wouldn't pitch on Tuesday.

He probably should...

He last pitched on the 28th. Pitching on Tuesday would give him more than 5 days off.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
He probably should...

He last pitched on the 28th. Pitching on Tuesday would give him more than 5 days off.

Exactly. And everyone else would still be on 5 days rest because of the off-day on Monday. I don't see a reason to have Torres spot start on Tuesday when everyone would be rested anyway.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
Exactly. And everyone else would still be on 5 days rest because of the off-day on Monday. I don't see a reason to have Torres spot start on Tuesday when everyone would be rested anyway.

Could be because they want to keep the rotation intact so nobody will be pitching on short rest in the future. Still, I think the Tigers series is kind of important.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
Could be because they want to keep the rotation intact so nobody will be pitching on short rest in the future. Still, I think the Tigers series is kind of important.

I would rather have Jackson or whoever else is suppose to pitch on Tuesday on 4-game rest vs. Baltimore than have Carlos Torre pitch against the Tigers.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
I would rather have Jackson or whoever else is suppose to pitch on Tuesday on 4-game rest vs. Baltimore than have Carlos Torre pitch against the Tigers.

True that.

Jeff Passan's trade deadline winners and losers (guess who was one of the losers?):http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-tradewinnerslosers073110

Chicago White Sox. Much as he tried – and he always tries – Chicago GM Kenny Williams couldn’t avoid the big L stamp on his forehead after a deadline of misfires. No Adam Dunn. No Prince Fielder(notes). Lance Berkman explicitly said he didn’t want to play with the White Sox. And for the time being, they’re stuck with Edwin Jackson(notes), a pitcher in such demand that he has been traded three times in the last 19 months.

If the White Sox really did believe Jackson was the key to making a Dunn deal a done deal, it’s very simple: They should’ve consummated a three-way trade instead of banking on the Nationals to pull the trigger once Jackson was theirs. Now, Don Cooper is one of the best pitching coaches around, and perhaps he can tame Jackson in a way neither the Dodgers, Rays, Tigers nor Diamondbacks could.

This much is certain: The White Sox hold a tenuous lead on first place in the AL Central and back that up with an offense that ranks in the bottom half of the league. Their bullpen is tremendous. The top of their rotation is dynamite. Those bats, though – well, those bats needed help, and Williams didn’t provide it.

Gotta love digging up old crap on players to make me feel better about a trade. :lolhitting

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...0s/dodgers.html

Top Ten Prospects: Los Angeles Dodgers

By Josh Boyd

December 17, 2003

Top Prospect: Edwin Jackson, RHP

Drafted: HS—Columbus, Ga., 2001 (6th round)

Signed by: Lon Joyce/Jim Lester

Background: First spotted by Dodgers scouts Jim Lester (now with the Pirates) and Lon Joyce when he was a center fielder at Shaw High in Columbus, Ga., Jackson also was the No. 3 starter behind Nick Long, now an Expos prospect, and Steven Register, now Auburn’s closer. Jackson reached 91 mph at the time, but Joyce’s first instinct was to make the most of his athleticism and bat potential in the outfield. The Dodgers weren’t sure which direction his career would head, so they allowed him to DH when he wasn’t pitching during in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League in 2001. They abandoned any thoughts of developing him as an outfielder the following spring, and his career took off. After beginning 2002 in extended spring training, Jackson jumped to low Class A South Georgia. He carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning of his first start and fell seven innings short of qualifying for the South Atlantic League ERA title, which he would have won. Jackson skipped another level to start the 2003 season as one of the youngest pitchers in Double-A. He became the youngest pitcher since Dwight Gooden to win his major league debut when he beat Randy Johnson in September.

Strengths: Jackson’s picturesque delivery, clean arm action and premium athleticism aid him in making 98 mph fastballs look effortless. He sits between 91-97 and can maintain his velocity deep into games. His slider and changeup both have come a long way since he made the full-time conversion to pitching, and while he’s not consistent with his secondary pitches he flashes above-average potential with both offerings. Each of his three pitches features plus life, with his fastball boring up into the zone, his slider showing hard bite and depth at times, and his circle changeup fading and sinking. Jackson demonstrates an advanced feel for pitching too, not afraid to pitch inside or double up on sliders and changeups. The Dodgers have done a fine job limiting Jackson’s workload. He was limited to around 100 pitches a start, and he was scratched from the Arizona Fall League to avoid putting more innings on his arm.

Weaknesses: Jackson has been unfazed by his rapid ascent. He still needs to gain consistency and confidence with his slider and changeup. Like many strikeout pitchers, he can amass lofty pitch counts. With three potential out pitches and plus command, that shouldn’t be an issue for long.

The Future: Jackson is the complete package, and fits the profile of a top-of-the-line starting pitcher to a tee. He established himself as one of the elite prospects in baseball even before his September callup, and his performance all but guaranteed him a spot in the Los Angeles rotation for 2004. He’s the best homegrown pitching prospect the Dodgers have developed since Pedro Martinez, and they don’t plan on letting this one get away.

Love that part, lol. Someone "let" him get away 4 times. C'mon Coop...get to work!!!