White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
I would say it's plausible to call bull **** but one has to think......what would we have to gain by threatening LAD with something totally false like this?

And as it's been pointed out, we dont go public with things like this...unless there's actually a chance. With Delgado, Ozzie wasn't nearly so accepting of it. In that case, Ozzie appeared to relay the honest organizational viewpoint...and now in this case he has relayed an organizational viewpoint again.

Ozzie needs the STFU and stay out of KW business.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
I don't think very many would spend that kind of money on a Ramirez jersey unless he was guaranteed of coming back next season.

They didn't sell that many Griffey, Jr., or Alomar jerseys when those guys were here well past their primes. I don't think Andruw Jones jerseys or Vizquel's have been hot sellers, either.

Who is the #4 jersey after Buehrle/Konerko/Beckham these days? Danks? Quentin? Rios?

Manny is still a viable offensive force.

Griffey wasn't.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Simple question: Am I the only one that thinks spending 4 million on Manny would be an absolute waste of money?

It would be a great use of $4M if he plays anywhere close to what he is capable of for the next two months.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
I want to be the first to call bulls***. When the hell does Kenny's stuff go public to this extent? Either the Sox are trying to force someone to claim him ahead of them, or Kenny is trying to hide who he is really after. This is not like the KW administration at all.

You must have been missing sox news this season. A ton of legit reports have been reported accurately, especially with The Club show out with the office news. (I.E. Dunn/Berkman rumors or near gets, Edwin Jackson trade BEFORE it was official, etc..) As bucket has said, Rosenthal has been money with his source as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Simple question: Am I the only one that thinks spending 4 million on Manny would be an absolute waste of money?

Not to me, they're 3 1/2 out with 3 games left against the 1st place team. Manny could make a huge difference with this line-up just by being OK.

Next year is next year, and with the deadspin documents they got leaked about other teams finances I think an argument can be made that looking at payroll and what the Sox bring in as cut and dry as a lot of people on this site want to look at it is not the best gauge. Baseball teams are extremely creative with their finances.

“It’s just a rumor at this point. If he shows up tomorrow in his uniform, we’ll all welcome him,” Paul Konerko(notes) said. “Hopefully it’ll be good. But until then, it’s tough to comment on. We only see as players what you guys see, what’s on the TV, if at all.”

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said if he was asked by GM Ken Williams if he wanted Ramirez, he would say yes. Ramirez was adored in Los Angeles and his sometimes erratic play coined the phrase “Manny being Manny” during his 7 1/2 seasons in Boston.

Ramirez was traded to the Dodgers in 2008 and signed a $45 million, two-year extension in 2009 that included $10 million each season and three payments of $8,333,333 each from 2011-13. But, Mannywood’s run is ending with the 38-year-old coming off an injury-plagued season and eligible for free agency in the offseason.

“Manny is a tremendous hitter. I don’t think anybody doubts that. Can he help us? I don’t know because he hasn’t played in the big leagues in a while. He’s a presence in the lineup, he makes our ball club better if he’s a presence in the lineup,” Guillen said. “The same thing happened a couple years ago. We had Ken Griffey, Jr., we handled him very well, players loved him. I don’t expect anything different with Manny.”

Williams said it’s a violation of tampering rules if he spoke specifically about Ramirez, but said that his club can never have too much offense.

“We’ve got to have the conversation and see what the numbers are on the salary, how we’re doing in the standings and the gate. The last 30-some odd days it changes seemingly on a day-to-day basis,” he said. “You have to think really long and hard about where you are at a given time and what you’re going to do.”

yahoosports.com

•A person connected to the White Sox says the team offered the Dodgers two proposals for Manny Ramirez at the end of July, but received no counter-offers. Ken Rosenthal reported today that the White Sox will claim Manny if he reaches them on waivers.

The fact that everyone is saying pretty good things about Manny means that this thing isn't a pipe dream. In fact it may be close to happening! If it was a pipe dream, Ozzie would come out saying stuff like "Manny isn't coming here" or "I only worry about my 25 guys". And KW would say "Where do you guys get this stuff?" Obviously this thing has some truth to it and Rosenthal is on top of it ;)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Not to me, they're 3 1/2 out with 3 games left against the 1st place team. Manny could make a huge difference with this line-up just by being OK.

This is exactly how I feel. We have a chance to add a potential impact bat for September. If he's even semi-productive, he makes our offense much stronger. Worst case scenario, he's an upgrade over Mark Kotsay, puts some people in the seats and sends a message to the team that this season isn't over yet.

Why do some people on here want to give up on this season so quickly?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
This is exactly how I feel. We have a chance to add a potential impact bat for September. If he's even semi-productive, he makes our offense much stronger. Worst case scenario, he's an upgrade over Mark Kotsay, puts some people in the seats and sends a message to the team that this season isn't over yet.

Why do some people on here want to give up on this season so quickly?

people have been waiting to give up since may.

The season is over when the Sox are mathematically eliminated. I don't see that happening anytime soon. No matter who wins the division, I believe it will come down to the last week of the season. Neither the Sox nor the Twins have shown that they are ready to take off and leave the other team in the dust.

If Manny could potentially help this team, I say go get him.

I'm torn on the Manny thing. I mean, the division is within reach, and Manny would probably be a difference maker, addressing the team's single biggest need. But I agree with some other posters that have said Manny is pretty much everything that is wrong with baseball.

If they do acquire him, I sure as hell hope they don't sign him for 2011.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
I'm torn on the Manny thing. I mean, the division is within reach, and Manny would probably be a difference maker, addressing the team's single biggest need. But I agree with some other posters that have said Manny is pretty much everything that is wrong with baseball.

Jones/Kotsay 2011!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)

If it's a 1 year deal as a DH only...and it's only like $2 million...and Manram actually signs the deal rather than just outright retiring...I think I could stomach that. I'd still reserve the right to chant "Steroids" every time he's up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)

I can't see the Sox signing Manny for next year. He doesn't really fit with the philosophy of the team, and if he has a good last month of the season (wherever he plays), he will probably want more money than the Sox would be willing to spend on a 39 year old DH with injury issues of late.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
I can't see the Sox signing Manny for next year. He doesn't really fit with the philosophy of the team, and if he has a good last month of the season (wherever he plays), he will probably want more money than the Sox would be willing to spend on a 39 year old DH with injury issues of late.

What Manny is going to want is going to differ hugely from what Manny is going to get offered.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
What Manny is going to want is going to differ hugely from what Manny is going to get offered.

True. And if he's stubborn about it, he'll be watching baseball in 2011, much like Jermaine Dye did in 2010.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
I mean, the division is within reach, and Manny would probably be a difference maker, addressing the team's single biggest need.

The bullpen would like to know where you've been lately and why you haven't returned its calls.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
The bullpen would like to know where you've been lately and why you haven't returned its calls.

I think this sums it up very nicely:

@FakeJoeCowley

• I hope Manny has a good pitching arm.
  • Sox will be putting a waiver claim on the corpse of Babe Ruth. Having the bones of the best ball player ever is a moral booster.
  • Talked to my sources, Manny's curve ball is below average. But, his "b**** and moan" ball is way above average.
  • No worries. Manny will make the pitching all better.
  • I have been told Manny Christ has the ability to heal injuries. That is good news of Putz and Thornton.