White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:11 PM)
This is an epic fail because of how well they made Ozzie speak.

That is one thing I've always disliked about Dugout episodes featuring the White Sox. For whatever reason, the guy always makes Ozzie intelligible. I love the way he characterizes Manny though.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

You guys hate Ozzie so much you want him to look bad when he speaks?

You bag on the person who makes him look good?

Wow.

Can't believe anybody would hate a WS winning manager that much and a guy who played ss for our team forever.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)

Wow.

Can't believe anybody would hate a WS winning manager that much and a guy who played ss for our team forever.

How about the fact that it's not the Ozzie we know they are portraying. His speech is part of what makes him him.

Wow.

You don't want authenticity?

Because authentic Ozzie is hard to understand.

If their posts were not meant to be negative, my bad.

But if they are not meant to be negative, they are kinda wacky. I don't see the problem in making him sounds good. If you wanna hear him sound Ozzie, just type his name into youtube. You'll get plenty of clips.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
If their posts were not meant to be negative, my bad.

But if they are not meant to be negative, they are kinda wacky. I don't see the problem in making him sounds good. If you wanna hear him sound Ozzie, just type his name into youtube. You'll get plenty of clips.

The Dugout is meant to be funny. Intelligent Ozzie with perfect English wouldn't be funny.

Wow.

Ozzie doesnt speak perfect english. It's not to rip him at all it would make it funnier and make us laugh. But for god sakes have you ever criticized Ozzie in any fashion or is whatever he does perfect?

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 06:36 AM)
Who's going away from the roster? Kotsay is making comments like he's secure, and Lillibridge is still needed (although they could play Teahan at 2B).

Peavy was placed on the 60-day DL, so I think that opened up the necessary roster spot. As far as Kotsay, I have no problem with him sticking around and being used as he should be used: PH and occasional spot start at 1st.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)
Peavy was placed on the 60-day DL, so I think that opened up the necessary roster spot. As far as Kotsay, I have no problem with him sticking around and being used as he should be used: PH and occasional spot start at 1st.

Peavy cleared up a spot on the 40-man, but they still need to make a move on the 25-man if Manny is to play today. Rosters expand tommorrow so then it won't matter.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
cst_sox Manny's flight from L.A. leaves at 6 a.m. - so expect him into Cleveland in the late afternoon.

about 9 hours ago

9 AM ET + 4 hour flight = 1 PM. What's this late afternoon business? C'mon, Manny. Flap your wings faster!

Edited by JorgeFabregas

Wow.

Most 6th grade dropouts don't speak well, let alone doing it in a second language.

Roberto Clemente was one of the first Hispanic/Latin superstars who really fought with the media about the way his phonetic pronunciation was "overexaggerated" by the media in print interviews to deliberately make him look ill-educated.

I think it's okay to write the words that someone is trying to say if they're very very clear...just not pronounced correctly. Remember Sosa's "beisbol has been berry berry good to me" line?

I think there's a a fine line between accuracy and deliberately trying to make someone look stupid.

For that matter, both President Bushes had tons of malapropisms and butchered sentences...not unlike Guillen, of course, yet much more easily understandandable. Some writers chose to quote them word for exact word to poke fun at them (became a running joke or gag on late night shows or SNL)...other writers cleaned up their English to make them sound like William F. Buckley, Jr., when that was obviously far from reality. It's a tricky area for a writer, to be completely "objective" when quoting someone, the ideal of what is "fair" or "unfair" is in the eye of beholder.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
Well, I guess it's a 4.5 hour flight. Maybe they couldn't get him a direct flight and he'll have to kill some time at the Panda Express in Denver International.

Not sure if today's flight schedules are different, but searching Kayak for next Tuesday, the only non-stop is a 7:15 AM United/Continental that arrives at 2:40 PM. With a stop, he leaves LA at 6 AM, flies through O'Hare and gets to CLE at 3:38 PM. We should meet him during his layover with Mannypalooza shirts.

Wow.

You're a piece of work dude. Ozzie is much more lovable with the way he speaks than being incorrectly represented.

Accordign to Guillen he would not play today if he was on a red eye. A red eye leaves at midnight not 6AM There are thousands of people that got on a plane at 6AM that are expected to work during their flight and as soon as they land.

How does Fuentes end up with the Twins in time to save a game almost immediately and the Sox may now play 5 games after being awarded Manny rights.

Nothing with this team is ever easy.....I understand it is not their fault.