Arizona Fall League

scenario

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Escobar again...

3-6, 2B, 3B, hitting .377

Mitchell continues to struggle. 0-5, 3 K on a day the team scored 14 runs.

I'll give him a pass since basically he's playing spring training. I just hope he has a good minor league season in 2011, and hope he's in the equation in 2012.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
This kind of domination from Escobar has to mean something. Yes, it's Arizona, but this is coming from a guy most say has a weak bat.

It's a good sign. He's facing better than average minor league pitching. Shows that he's maturing/developing as a hitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
This is such a crazy statement. How would you know how much scouting that other teams do specifically in the AFL?

How many other teams do we see trading for guys that perform in the AFL but struggle at other levels?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
I dont know, why dont you answer that question yourself. I bet nobody on here actually knows or follows that at all.

Which is pretty much my point. People here know in detail what the White Sox do, but can they really claim to know in detail that 29 other GMs don't follow the AFL enough to make moves based on it? I seriously doubt it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Which is pretty much my point. People here know in detail what the White Sox do, but can they really claim to know in detail that 29 other GMs don't follow the AFL enough to make moves based on it? I seriously doubt it.

I'm betting that the other 29 teams follow it quite specifically. I just can't come up with examples off my head of guys like Gavin Floyd who looked like busts in the upper minors or big leagues, were grabbed after a good AFL performance, and then turned things around in the next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm betting that the other 29 teams follow it quite specifically. I just can't come up with examples off my head of guys like Gavin Floyd who looked like busts in the upper minors or big leagues, were grabbed after a good AFL performance, and then turned things around in the next season.

Exactly. We have no idea who has been traded for based on AFL performances outside of what our own team has done.

Merkin has a big Jared Mitchell piece up.

"I heard he's playing well, running well," said White Sox general manager Ken Williams. "He's just a little rusty."

"He hadn't faced live pitching, so it's kind of hard to miss a whole year, miss six months of baseball, and come back and do it again," said Minnesota outfield prospect Ben Revere of his Saguaros teammate. "I could tell he was a little rusty, but that's how baseball is. It's Spring Training for him. You have to get timing back."

Here's the funny part for Mitchell. Despite having limited time swinging the bat, his swing feels "inches away" from where he needs to be. As for a possible speed trap coming from the tendon tear, Mitchell has been fighting through a hamstring strain in his left leg during AFL action because he knows the importance of this stretch.

There's also no reason to go all out in October when Mitchell comprehends what he needs to do to get ready for February. If his natural glide from first to third on a bad-hop single to right during a recent contest serves as any indication, Mitchell still has no problem getting around.

"When [the Arizona Fall League] is over and I get a chance to go home and rest my body and start to build up strength, there's no doubt I'll be 110 percent when Spring Training comes up," Mitchell said. "The reason I haven't run much is because I know where my legs are now physically. For me, this is about getting at-bats and getting back into the game.

"My speed won't have diminished any, which is a good thing for me. I'll be fine," said Mitchell with a wry smile. "I'm not getting upset about the things I'm doing right now. It's normal offseason conditioning, and I just keep working to get better."

White Sox infielder Eduardo Escobar and right-handed reliever Anthony Carter join Mitchell as part of the West roster in Saturday's 5th Annual Rising Stars Game for the AFL. The contest will take place at Surprise Stadium, where Mitchell figures to play a few innings as part of his healthy White Sox Cactus League return.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Why? He needs the work.

For real...heck, it might be a blessing in disguise he struggled. I would have hated to see the Sox rush him through the system after last year's injury. His swing is still extremely mechanical (like it was at LSU), as he missed an offspeed pitch to strike out in that Prospects Game by about a foot. Seems like Escobar has really exploded the last few weeks, and he definitely had the "look" of a MLB SS.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
Mitchell 0-3 today. Can they just send him home, please?

The guy hasn't played baseball for like eight months. Quit obsessing about the box scores and realize that this is a kid who needed some work anyway, let alone after being away from the game for a very long time. He could literally hit .000 and it would be a positive thing for Mitchell to be in Arizona right now.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Watching a re-run of the game, that Twins prospect Ben Revere has PIRANHA!!11 written all over him. A little .260 against the league .330 against the Sox with gold glove D in a rookie season....

He looks like Denard Span at his very best, and is probably a 4th outfielder but with the plate discipline and speed to start.

Aaron Hicks is of bigger concern. He looks like a legitimate player.