2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does every NBA game I watch that trends toward a blowout in the first half inevitably end up coming down to the final minute or two? I'm getting tired of this. You're down twenty points at the half but you'll probably be within two 6 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I refuse to believe that your head coach throws a Lombardi or Rockne at you in the locker room every time you're getting had. I also find it hard to believe that the team that kicked your ass for two quarters decides they can take it easy on you right after the half with two quarters to play- an animal would be observant enough to see that if this is a recurring scenario (it is, it happens in like half of the games played on a given day) then probably it should avoid relaxing.

Instead, I'm inclined to think that perhaps officiating wrongly factors into these remarkable comebacks and majestic 18-4 runs. I find it a lot more difficult to watch an NBA game start to finish than MLB or NFL games because of this.

Thanks are in order to the Celtics, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade for facilitating an 0-1 Heat team. This is probably as good as it will get, but I'll enjoy it.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I think they are a year away from having a shot at 70 wins but I still think they win the title.

I don't know...they've traded away their next half decade worth of draft picks, and there's going to be a monster CBA overhaul. There's no guarantee that all of the exemptions will survive the CBA; the Owners clearly have reason to get rid of the mid-level exemption, because it forces them to spend more money on lower level players to fill out a roster. Plus, there still may not be any 2011-2012 season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
I don't know...they've traded away their next half decade worth of draft picks, and there's going to be a monster CBA overhaul. There's no guarantee that all of the exemptions will survive the CBA; the Owners clearly have reason to get rid of the mid-level exemption, because it forces them to spend more money on lower level players to fill out a roster. Plus, there still may not be any 2011-2012 season.

One thing I heard was that they might want to get rid of the soft cap and have a hard cap instead. How would this impact the Heat? I was under the impression that the three max contracts took almost 100% of their cap space. If a hard cap is in place, wouldnt they need to trade away one of the players to make room to fill the roster?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
One thing I heard was that they might want to get rid of the soft cap and have a hard cap instead. How would this impact the Heat? I was under the impression that the three max contracts took almost 100% of their cap space. If a hard cap is in place, wouldnt they need to trade away one of the players to make room to fill the roster?

You'd have to think that if they had a hard cap, the players union would get the value of it increased to the point that those 3 salaries could fit under it. Or the union might completely break and wind up having an actual league-wide decrease in guaranteed dollars on current contracts. (Honestly, deep down I think that a good number of owners actually expect something like a league wide salary reduction to happen. My evidence came from some of those contracts handed out last offseason. There was just no reason for so many different owners to offer up the contracts that we saw go out. I struggle to see how they all could be that dumb)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
I felt pretty dirty cheering for them.

i did too at first, but frankly...thats a good team that plays the right way. And, while yes pierce is tough to cheer for, but KG (while annoying) and Ray Allen seem genuinely like good guys. Plus its hard not to absolutely love Shaq

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
i did too at first, but frankly...thats a good team that plays the right way. And, while yes pierce is tough to cheer for, but KG (while annoying) and Ray Allen seem genuinely like good guys. Plus its hard not to absolutely love Shaq

In terms of "playing the right way", they also still have Mr. cheap shot as their starting PG.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 26, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Why does every NBA game I watch that trends toward a blowout in the first half inevitably end up coming down to the final minute or two? I'm getting tired of this. You're down twenty points at the half but you'll probably be within two 6 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I refuse to believe that your head coach throws a Lombardi or Rockne at you in the locker room every time you're getting had. I also find it hard to believe that the team that kicked your ass for two quarters decides they can take it easy on you right after the half with two quarters to play- an animal would be observant enough to see that if this is a recurring scenario (it is, it happens in like half of the games played on a given day) then probably it should avoid relaxing.

Instead, I'm inclined to think that perhaps officiating wrongly factors into these remarkable comebacks and majestic 18-4 runs. I find it a lot more difficult to watch an NBA game start to finish than MLB or NFL games because of this.

Thanks are in order to the Celtics, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade for facilitating an 0-1 Heat team. This is probably as good as it will get, but I'll enjoy it.

Agree

I think it'll be a blast if every team treats the Heat like the Patriots were treated going down the stretch in the NFL as an undefeated team back in 2007. I'm talking about no one taking the night off, everyone giving their best effort, if we could have a playoff atmoshere like their was in Boston for the 41 nights on the road that would be incredible.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
I think it'll be a blast if every team treats the Heat like the Patriots were treated going down the stretch in the NFL as an undefeated team back in 2007. I'm talking about no one taking the night off, everyone giving their best effort, if we could have a playoff atmoshere like their was in Boston for the 41 nights on the road that would be incredible.

I think that is going to be the case, and I think the Heat better realize it. That is what made the Bulls 72-10 run so remarkable. They knew it was coming, they had been taking everyones best shot for years, not only that year, and they did it anyways. I know the Heat will have a great season, but I dont know if they are prepared for a record breaking season

Report: NBA draft moving to Newark

NEWARK, N.J. -- The NBA draft is moving from New York City to Newark, a person familiar with the plans tells The Associated Press.

The person requested anonymity because the league had yet to announce that the annual draft of college players will be held at the Prudential Center in Newark in June.

Commissioner David Stern is expected to make the announcement Wednesday night before the New Jersey Nets' season opener against the Detroit Pistons. The Nets will play their home games at the Prudential Center for the next two years before a planned move to Brooklyn, N.Y.

The draft had been held in New York City since 2001.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

I'm posting this because it's really something I haven't thought much about...the idea of Lebron having to basically be this team's PG and what that could mean for the Heat in terms of not only Lebron's scoring, but in terms of turnovers and the quality of looks that James gets.

I kept track of James's dribbling in halfcourt situations (which did not include his numerous possessions in transition). James had 46 touches in Miami's halfcourt offense and yet I counted no more than 89 dribbles from him.

That's a remarkably small number for a two-time MVP who was known for pounding the ball in Cleveland and going one-on-one to create shots for himself or his Cavalier teammates. Now he was launching the new phase of his career by making quicker decisions and keeping the ball in circulation to Wade, Chris Bosh and others. James's intentions were good but the execution was poor -- he had a miserable assist-turnover ratio of 3-8 after repeatedly picking up his dribble too early.

"It's a feel-out process," said James. "When you have so many options it's something I'm not accustomed to -- having that many threats out on the court at the same time. It kind of reminded me (of) the USA (Basketball) practices. Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski) really had to get on us one day because we were being too unselfish because we had so many options. You'd have unforced turnovers."

Apart from the 13 minutes played by starter Carlos Arroyo, the bulk of the point-guard responsibilities fell to James, and most of his drives flowed out of transition as he brought the ball up. He was far less dynamic in the halfcourt, though he did try to post up a couple of times.

"Me and D-Wade had 14 turnovers between us," said James of their disappointing stat line. "A lot of them was (from) being too unselfish when we had an open look."

I'm probably in the decided minority on this but I don't think Miami will win the title this year, not basing it on anything other than the fact that having great players on a team doesn't always mean they'll play great together as a team.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
I'm probably in the decided minority on this but I don't think Miami will win the title this year, not basing it on anything other than the fact that having great players on a team doesn't always mean they'll play great together as a team.

I don't think you are. I think the Lakers are the better team myself. I think Orlando and Boston will give them fits in the East as well.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)

The problem they run into that is unlike Boston is that thereotically, that roster doesn't fit right offensively. James and Wade are both ISO cut players who only make three's when they're hot. So you have one guy dribbling the lane, and the other automatically cutting to the lane. You have Z who can't move fast at all, so therefore, he's usually around 12-14 feet. That's three defenders there that are inside the lane that are automatically cutting you off. Without Miller, they don't have anyone who can stretch the floor consistently. Thereotically, they should have a PG and C who can shoot lights out from three. What they really need is a Steve Blake and a younger Z. Bosh can step out to 19 feet consistently, but that's not far enough to stop a team defensively from cheating.

Defensively, James and Wade are good overall. Bosh is a weak link. Heck, anyone minus Haslem is a weak link. At PG, they have a weak link. So while you have two great defenders on the floor, they have to account for almost all options. That's why Boston is able to score on them fluidly. You have Ray Allen who you always have to respect. Pierce who is a nice shooter and all around player. Rondo who can slash. Garnett can bang or hit the 16 footer. And Shaq/Jermaine inside. So you really can't cheat as much as you want to to slide over to another man, especially for a team with great spacing and chemistry like Boston.

In the end, I think they'll figure it out, win like 68 games and win the championship.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
You'd have to think that if they had a hard cap, the players union would get the value of it increased to the point that those 3 salaries could fit under it. Or the union might completely break and wind up having an actual league-wide decrease in guaranteed dollars on current contracts. (Honestly, deep down I think that a good number of owners actually expect something like a league wide salary reduction to happen. My evidence came from some of those contracts handed out last offseason. There was just no reason for so many different owners to offer up the contracts that we saw go out. I struggle to see how they all could be that dumb)

From what I understand so far, contraction has more support from both sides than salary reductions. If they do release salaries, they won't institute a hard cap and they'll make percentage wise, a way for those current contracts to fit. I've also heard the idea of the Eddy Curry exception in which they allow teams to get rid of one bad contract formerly known as the Allan Houston rule.

If worse comes to worst, Miami will trade Bosh for cap space, as he's going to provide limited value since there's only one ball to go around between the three players and his value is going to be minimized. For these guys to provide anywhere near their normal numbers, they're going to have to shoot a great percentage because they aren't going to be able to shoot the ball 25 times a game like they may be used to.