2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
Eh, I have a hard time calling someone who can't do anything more than 5 feet away from the basket one of THE best in the game. If teams figure out to collapse and deny the post, Blake will disappear.

I hate to have to invoke the name, but Jordan didn't really shoot until a few seasons into the league because he didn't have to, he got by on pure athleticism.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love Wade back when he was at Marquette and will never forget the day that he was drafted by Miami and the Bulls took Hinrich. Now you could say I hate Hinrich, that would be fair, but I loved Wade.

He isnt what he used to be, and without his exception athleticism he is not a top 5 player. I hate to say it, but the injuries appear to be piling up. You can say Lebron cant be a SG, but that just isnt true, his skill set fits perfectly as a SG. Just because on most teams he plays SF due to that being the best match up, does not mean that his ultimate best position could not be SG. Against a team that has a bigger combination of SG/SF there would definitely be advantages in having Lebron be the SG.

I guess I dont really compartmentalize players that are 2/3s unless they have some sort of size issue. If they are in the 6'6-6'8 range they really can play any position, especially if they are as good as Lebron.

Sorry if that doesnt fit your criteria for how I rate my top 5 basketball players, but so be it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I hate to have to invoke the name, but Jordan didn't really shoot until a few seasons into the league because he didn't have to, he got by on pure athleticism.

Obviously that's an extreme example but you can certainly get by without a consistent jump shot, especially if you're a big man to begin with. Like I said, Blake's already putting up insane numbers, if he can ever learn to become more consistent with his shot then we're talking about one of the best ever to play the 4, no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
I used to love Wade back when he was at Marquette and will never forget the day that he was drafted by Miami and the Bulls took Hinrich. Now you could say I hate Hinrich, that would be fair, but I loved Wade.

He isnt what he used to be, and without his exception athleticism he is not a top 5 player. I hate to say it, but the injuries appear to be piling up. You can say Lebron cant be a SG, but that just isnt true, his skill set fits perfectly as a SG. Just because on most teams he plays SF due to that being the best match up, does not mean that his ultimate best position could not be SG. Against a team that has a bigger combination of SG/SF there would definitely be advantages in having Lebron be the SG.

I guess I dont really compartmentalize players that are 2/3s unless they have some sort of size issue. If they are in the 6'6-6'8 range they really can play any position, especially if they are as good as Lebron.

Sorry if that doesnt fit your criteria for how I rate my top 5 basketball players, but so be it.

"without his exceptional athleticism?"

I'm sorry but that makes no sense. None. Might as well say "if it wasn't for the fact that he could shoot the lights out Ray Allen isn't that good."

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:11 PM)
He isnt what he used to be, and without his exception athleticism he is not a top 5 player.

Wade's always got by because of his athleticism and he's still doing that. The guy is still unbelievable, I wish him nothing but the worst but he's a fantastic player still.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)

Wade is having either his first or 2nd most efficient year scoring in his career. He is averaging 25.7 pts while playing with the best player in the NBA on his team. His rebounding rate is at a career high and his steal and block rates are around his career norms. His PER is 3rd in the NBA behind LeBron and Paul and he was 2nd last year behind LeBron and Durant. How isn't he a top 5 player?

Sstatistically his steal rate is down over 20% as well as his assist rate and while some may think that is within the normal range, I think that you will see Wade trend downward.

And how does that make no sense? Wade is taking injuries at an alarming rate, I was saying this before tonights game where he once again could not play a full game. Durability, wear and tear it all adds up. I personally feel that Wade is a half a step if not more slower. Now is it temporary, potentially, Im not sure.

If Wade continues to play when hes not 100% he is not nearly the exceptional athlete he once was. Im not sure how that does not make sense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Huh?

Im saying that because his greatest gift is athleticism Im concerned about the wear and tear his body has taken.

give it up man. even with all the wear and tear, Wade is still a top 5 player in the league, right now. period.

Yeah his stats are down a little bit, but he is playing with the best player in the game, and also another all star. His assist are down, but he can still get 8 per game if he was the team's primary distributor.

wade wouldn't be a great player without his athleticism, yeah, so is lebron, d rose, blake griffin, howard, etc. and guys like durant, allen, nash wouldn't be great players also without their shooting ability.

and finally, what's with the argument that lebron is the best SG in the league? You argued that he always played SF because that was his best fit position on the team, so that makes it his natural position right? If he was a natural SG, why didn't the Cavs play him at the shooting guard? I guess we can also call lebron the best SF, best PF, and also the best PG in the league?

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
Dbaho, your perimeter D is AWFUL. This is why you don't make moves simply to appease your superstar. The Magic were better before the trades. The Magic have nobody that can even bother Lebron or Wade.

I think Keith Bogans will help them. They should trade for him.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:13 AM)
Dbaho, your perimeter D is AWFUL. This is why you don't make moves simply to appease your superstar. The Magic were better before the trades. The Magic have nobody that can even bother Lebron or Wade.

Actually when Carmelon Anthony blew up against us in Denver, that forced Otis Smith to make the trade (not like Carter and Lewis are great defenders at the 2/3 spot regardless).

I think we need to get Q Rich into the lineup more, he's by far our best perimeter defender.

But I agree that Orlando defenders have been far too dependent on Dwight to clean up their mistakes. That needs to change if we're going to contend.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Sstatistically his steal rate is down over 20% as well as his assist rate and while some may think that is within the normal range, I think that you will see Wade trend downward.

And how does that make no sense? Wade is taking injuries at an alarming rate, I was saying this before tonights game where he once again could not play a full game. Durability, wear and tear it all adds up. I personally feel that Wade is a half a step if not more slower. Now is it temporary, potentially, Im not sure.

If Wade continues to play when hes not 100% he is not nearly the exceptional athlete he once was. Im not sure how that does not make sense.

You've been all over the place, so I can see why folks have jumped on you.

Wade is a smaller guy, they tend to decline swiftly. Allen Iverson was a star in Philly at Wade's current age and 3 years later couldn't find a job. Now, Wade has a much better attitude and a stronger physique, but the wear and tear will take it's toll.

Trust me, we'll be dealing with this with Derrick Rose in 9-10 seasons.

However, Wade is still easily deserving of that starting SG spot. You can't really blame him for his assist totals declining... he's taken a back seat in the ball-handling department for the good of his team and "King James".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)

Weird thing with DR1...the same thing people have been saying is a flaw in his game...his ability to score while avoiding contact in the lane (and thus not get to the line) also could help him avoid some of the beating Wade has taken.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
You've been all over the place, so I can see why folks have jumped on you.

Wade is a smaller guy, they tend to decline swiftly. Allen Iverson was a star in Philly at Wade's current age and 3 years later couldn't find a job. Now, Wade has a much better attitude and a stronger physique, but the wear and tear will take it's toll.

However, Wade is still easily deserving of that starting SG spot. You can't really blame him for his assist totals declining... he's taken a back seat in the ball-handling department for the good of his team and "King James".

Iverson was no where near as strong as Rose. AI refused to practice half of the time, let alone work out. Dude was a rat-ass skinny SOB. He was tough as nails, but he didn't take care of himself off of the game floor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
Iverson was no where near as strong as Rose. AI refused to practice half of the time, let alone work out. Dude was a rat-ass skinny SOB. He was tough as nails, but he didn't take care of himself off of the game floor.

Steve,

I dont think I was all over the place, its more that people keep trying to twist what Im saying into nonsense.

All Ive said in regards to Wade is that I do not believe he is a top 5 player. I never said he shouldnt be an All-Star. When asked who I would consider a better SG, I said Id take Lebron. Now people can say Lebron cant play the off-guard, but that is ridiculous. Its like saying Magic couldnt play PG because he was tall.

Why would you want Lebron as a PF? So he can match up against bigger guys? Of course not, you want him at SG, because then a team would have to guard him with guard. Lebron is to physical for a guard he could dominate them in the paint and still has the quickness/strength to blow by them if he wanted.

As for the rest, its entirely opinion on who is a top 5 player. I take scarcity into account, and I believe that SF/SG are the easiest positions to fill because there are the most amount of good players there. I think that C/PG are much more scarce and therefore when Im rating my top 5 players there were will be a general lean towards scarcity, unless the player is at a Lebron level.

People are acting like Im saying hes not a one of the best players, all Im saying is he may not be one of the top 5. There are only 5 players who can fit in that group, and if I was starting a team today he would not be one of the first 5 guys I would take. This is based on my perception that he is not 100% healthy and that he may never get back there.

Watching Wade play recently Im not sure how you can say his durability/health is not a question.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Steve,

I dont think I was all over the place, its more that people keep trying to twist what Im saying into nonsense.

All Ive said in regards to Wade is that I do not believe he is a top 5 player. I never said he shouldnt be an All-Star. When asked who I would consider a better SG, I said Id take Lebron. Now people can say Lebron cant play the off-guard, but that is ridiculous. Its like saying Magic couldnt play PG because he was tall.

Why would you want Lebron as a PF? So he can match up against bigger guys? Of course not, you want him at SG, because then a team would have to guard him with guard. Lebron is to physical for a guard he could dominate them in the paint and still has the quickness/strength to blow by them if he wanted.

As for the rest, its entirely opinion on who is a top 5 player. I take scarcity into account, and I believe that SF/SG are the easiest positions to fill because there are the most amount of good players there. I think that C/PG are much more scarce and therefore when Im rating my top 5 players there were will be a general lean towards scarcity, unless the player is at a Lebron level.

People are acting like Im saying hes not a one of the best players, all Im saying is he may not be one of the top 5. There are only 5 players who can fit in that group, and if I was starting a team today he would not be one of the first 5 guys I would take. This is based on my perception that he is not 100% healthy and that he may never get back there.

Watching Wade play recently Im not sure how you can say his durability/health is not a question.

Brian,

Suggesting a SF is a better SG isn't fair. LeBron isn't a SG and hasn't taken that role, so we cannot call him a 2 guard no matter what you say. Dwyane Wade is a top 5 player in the game... he's ridiculous. His dimes have dropped due to playing with the single-most talented player in the game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Brian,

Suggesting a SF is a better SG isn't fair. LeBron isn't a SG and hasn't taken that role, so we cannot call him a 2 guard no matter what you say. Dwyane Wade is a top 5 player in the game... he's ridiculous. His dimes have dropped due to playing with the single-most talented player in the game.

I'd use LeBron as a PG actually.