Mike Quade Named Cubs Manager

chetkincaid

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that Girardi was gonna go to the Cubs...but I imagine that cubs got wind he had no desire. This sure isn't the "wow" hire many Cub fans were hoping for. Only a 2-year deal. Not a huge vote of confidence there. Maybe he's just keeping the seat warm for Ryno. I'd be pissed if I was a Cub fan. Mediocrity at it's best here.

im very surprised....good thing for quade lou's mom got sick...unless that was just a front to get lou out sooner without embarrassing him...I thought they were giving the job to sandberg unless they could get a guys like girardi, gonzalez or maybe torre

Dumb. I think Ricketts is really going on the cheap with the Cubs. I know Hendry made huge mistakes with the payroll, but at the same time, Ricketts knew what he was getting into. Didn't he make the comment that they plan on winning a world series within the next 5 years? Because they won't. If he was going to go cheap on payroll, he needs to get a new GM. With unlimited resources, he couldn't build a perennial winner. He's pretty awful in fact.

Everyone I know who's a Cubs fan is pissed at Ricketts because they don't think he has enough to truly run the team. They also hate the move because they didn't even give themselves a shot to talk at some potentially great managers for them. If Ricketts is going this route, he needs to get better scouts all around so they can draft young guys who can make an impact.

Probably a good hire. Even though his interim record has to be somewhat discounted because the pressure was off them and most of their competition, it was still impressive. He knows their system, and if that team is going to get better, help is going to have to come from within. Ryno obviously knows it too, but I'll never be convinced that he's not dumber than dirt. Hiring him would have been a PR move ala Baylor, Baker, Pinella, the drafting of the football player, and some of their ridiculous FA signings, and I think they've learned their lessons there. Besides, at only 2 years, its not a big risk either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Love this move for the Cubs. There is a downside of course, as Sandberg will be pissed, ergo some fans will be pissed. But I was actually impressed with Quade in his time with the team. This was the smart, and unexpected, move. Very non-Cub-like.

Agreed, I loved how he has an old school philosophy to coaching, but was open to learning about stats and if someone made a valid point to him he would listen. You can't find that in many MLB managers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
This definitely says something bad about Ryno.

What do the insiders say? Is he too dull? What? He's definitely qualified. And he wants to do it. Why didn't the Cubs just name Ryno? Weird.

Quade put in his work. They couldn't just take it away from him especially after going 24-13. It was just a strange situation. Prolly will work out best for both parties in the long run.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
This definitely says something bad about Ryno.

What do the insiders say? Is he too dull? What? He's definitely qualified. And he wants to do it. Why didn't the Cubs just name Ryno? Weird.

I think a large part of it was that they thought he just wasn't ready, he's only been a manager in the minors for a couple years and he's never dealt with major league managing in any capacity.

I wonder if they won't try to get him on as a bench coach to get him up to the big league level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)
I think a large part of it was that they thought he just wasn't ready, he's only been a manager in the minors for a couple years and he's never dealt with major league managing in any capacity.

I wonder if they won't try to get him on as a bench coach to get him up to the big league level.

If he's willing to even do that.

One thing that I have noticed in all the articles about this, is that no one is even asking what Sandberg is thinking right now. No one seems to be reaching out to him, or, they are and he isn't responding. He may not take this well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
If he's willing to even do that.

One thing that I have noticed in all the articles about this, is that no one is even asking what Sandberg is thinking right now. No one seems to be reaching out to him, or, they are and he isn't responding. He may not take this well.

Have you not read the articles I've read, or are you looking for something different that this?

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Sandberg said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "They told me it went down to the wire, and I was one of the last two guys standing and they made their decision. It's a disappointing day for sure.

"Right now it's digesting everything and just kind of change the wheels and turn in a different direction. I was focused on something and today it's just taking it all in. I spent the four years in the minor leagues to manage at the major league level, so I think that's where my heart is, and that's where my next step is. I think that's where I look next."

..."I don't look back on anything," the Hall of Fame second baseman said. "I felt like I did the opportunity that I was given, made the most out of it, had success and that's it. No looking back."

With several managerial openings around baseball, Sandberg hopes to get a chance somewhere else. Asked if he would return to the Triple-A Iowa job if he doesn't get a major league job, Sandberg declined to speculate.

"I'm just going by the phone call that I got that said I was not the guy and that was the end of the story," Sandberg said. "I don't know. I have no idea. There was nothing to lead me otherwise. I still have the ambitions to do this at the major league level and after some digesting and seeing if some other opportunities come about, listen to those opportunities and take it from there."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 20, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
The Question is: Would some of the Anti-Ozzie people on this site be willing to take on Ryno as the next Sox skipper?

Not if he's addicted to small ball like he's been in the minors. Quade was a solid hire for the Cubs. The players like him, and he's great at putting out well-constructed lineups.