White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

Wow, the idea of Viciedo for Bell would really be going for it. I'd hate to trade that kind of talent for a closer. Since he's arb-eligible anyway and we have to pay him I'd rather pay Putz. Then, if we're going to trade Dayan, either target a young starter with top-3 ability or go after a dynamic young reliever with legit closing potential. Dayan has serious talent and he should fetch someone who has real potential and will be under control cheaply for a while.

BTW during the whole Dunn/Rizzo/Kenny/Jackson s*** over the deadline, when Rizzo said he just needed "one player" to complete that deal, I think (just my guess) he was talking about Dayan. I'm sure he knew he couldn't get Gordon and that was probably just the starting point. I anticipate that Dayan's value around the league is actually quite a bit higher than it is on this board or in the eyes of some of the publications. The dude can flat out murder the baseball and he makes contact with it a lot. And he's really young, too - just 22 next season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
Wow, the idea of Viciedo for Bell would really be going for it. I'd hate to trade that kind of talent for a closer. Since he's arb-eligible anyway and we have to pay him I'd rather pay Putz. Then, if we're going to trade Dayan, either target a young starter with top-3 ability or go after a dynamic young reliever with legit closing potential. Dayan has serious talent and he should fetch someone who has real potential and will be under control cheaply for a while.

Like it or not...the value of a blocked player who is seemingly limited to playing only 1b isn't going to be a top flight young player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
Like it or not...the value of a blocked player who is seemingly limited to playing only 1b isn't going to be a top flight young player.

Viciedo being blocked doesn't mean a thing. 21-year-old players with Viciedo's talent are wanted by everyone in baseball with an opening. Teams would still bid against each other for his services whether he's blocked or not.

And you're also highly underestimating Viciedo. He has all the ability to be a top flight young player himself and IMO he's actually a much better prospect than, say, Chris Carter who the board would probably salivate over and insist we couldn't fetch without giving up Beckham/Danks/Floyd/etc. I would expect a return for Viciedo to be an unestablished player whom you probably aren't aware of but yet has a serious ceiling and is close to being ready, if not ready now.

I'd like to see the Sox take a flyer on Lastings Milledge since he was non tendered by the Pirates and will only be 26 at the beginning of the 2011 season. He was the 12th overall pick in the year he was drafted and could still blossom and he plays a decent RF and has good speed. Shouldn't be expensive.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
I'd like to see the Sox take a flyer on Lastings Milledge since he was non tendered by the Pirates and will only be 26 at the beginning of the 2011 season. He was the 12th overall pick in the year he was drafted and could still blossom and he plays a decent RF and has good speed. Shouldn't be expensive.

One nice side-benefit of signing Dunn is that we don't need a separate backup 1b; in a pinch, even if Dunn is at the DH spot, he can be moved out there. Saves a bench spot somewhat. But...a 4 man bench out of that crew is Castro, Vizquel, De Aza, and Teahen, and I see no reason to think that Milledge is obviously a better potential turnaround case than De Aza.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 08:15 AM)

No thanks. I know the kid is talented but there is a reason why he has bounced around from team to team. Not worth the trouble.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)

BTW during the whole Dunn/Rizzo/Kenny/Jackson s*** over the deadline, when Rizzo said he just needed "one player" to complete that deal, I think (just my guess) he was talking about Dayan. I'm sure he knew he couldn't get Gordon and that was probably just the starting point. I anticipate that Dayan's value around the league is actually quite a bit higher than it is on this board or in the eyes of some of the publications. The dude can flat out murder the baseball and he makes contact with it a lot. And he's really young, too - just 22 next season.

I agree. I love his bat and think he can be a much better hitter than Beckham. Not sure if he's valued or not by Soxtalk , but if that's the case it's because he has shown nothing with the glove yet and past prospects with potential have disappointed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Andrew Miller got non-tendered. Talk about a guy that Cooper would love to try and fix. If we got him, Hawk won't shut up about his Nintendo stuff.

If Thornton's moving into the closer's spot, he's worth a tryout as that bullpen 2nd lefty.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)

The Sox supposedly offered Dayan. The Nats wanted Gordo.

At the moment our bench looks to be Vizquel, Teahen, Castro, and Lillibridge, and likely Dayan Viciedo. We' might have to go out and get someone who can spell Alex in CF, because i don't know how comfortable i am with Lillbridge being thrown out there. It's actually an oddly versatile bench, but it' sucess relies on Viciedo taking a step forward and Teahen assuming career norm production.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
At the moment our bench looks to be Vizquel, Teahen, Castro, and Lillibridge, and likely Dayan Viciedo. We' might have to go out and get someone who can spell Alex in CF, because i don't know how comfortable i am with Lillbridge being thrown out there. It's actually an oddly versatile bench, but it' sucess relies on Viciedo taking a step forward and Teahen assuming career norm production.

To be honest with you, I don't think Viciedo will be on our bench. I think they'll want a legit fourth outfielder and right now that guy is probably De Aza.

Does anyone know if the Mets are planning on dealing Frankie Rodriguez and if so I assume they'd be getting very little for him due to his contract and off the field issues. He could be a nice closer to pick up. I know he injured himself in the fight and ended up missing the rest of the season but he still has above average stuff and has been an effective closer and would be an upgrade over Jenks.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 3, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)

That is a good way of wording it. It is an oddly versatile bench.

I hope Dayan makes the team and gets to play. I wish he'd go to winter ball and maybe battle Morel for the job at third.

If Paulie comes back, could we afford one sieve in the infield on defense at third? Lexi, Beckham and Paulie are pretty good fielders.