Konerko and Putz both decline Arb

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Maybe it'll happen next week, but it's surprising there haven't been any real offers made public for PK. It's too bad the Sox couldn't get him to come back for 2 more years at $12, and an option for a third. If he can do better, he should take it.

Did the Sox already make him an offer? I'd like to see him back for the contract you outlined, too. He probably has three years left in him...maybe a couple more strictly as a DH, but I wouldn't mind seeing him retire as a Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Maybe it'll happen next week, but it's surprising there haven't been any real offers made public for PK. It's too bad the Sox couldn't get him to come back for 2 more years at $12, and an option for a third. If he can do better, he should take it.

Do you mean 2 more years at 12 million each year?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Do you mean 2 more years at 12 million each year?

Yes. Just two more guaranteed years at what he's made the last 5 years.

$24 mil, plus an option for $12 in 2013.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
Just like last time, there's no reason for him not to figure out what his market value is first.

I'm not sure it's an issue of market value as much as it is him wanting to explore his options elsewhere. From that cryptic announcement he made (or whatever that was), it sure seemed like he is interested in playing somewhere else, and not all that concerned about the money.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I'm not sure it's an issue of market value as much as it is him wanting to explore his options elsewhere. From that cryptic announcement he made (or whatever that was), it sure seemed like he is interested in playing somewhere else, and not all that concerned about the money.

Which is what they all say until someone offers them another $2 million.

Ok so if Paulie's gone then let's assume we get to go cheap at 1B with Viciedo (anybody wanna predict best case, full time stats for him?). If the $12M for Konerko was really available, then we have $12M to throw at upgrading DH. Dunn/Viciedo/Carlos/NewOutfielder all rotating through DH, 1B and RF. That actually puts 4 good bats rotating in the DH and Dunn can still play 1B the majority of the time.

If we really have 12M, we can make some noise.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Ok so if Paulie's gone then let's assume we get to go cheap at 1B with Viciedo (anybody wanna predict best case, full time stats for him?). If the $12M for Konerko was really available, then we have $12M to throw at upgrading DH. Dunn/Viciedo/Carlos/NewOutfielder all rotating through DH, 1B and RF. That actually puts 4 good bats rotating in the DH and Dunn can still play 1B the majority of the time.

If we really have 12M, we can make some noise.

If Paul Konerko isn't playing 1b for the White Sox next year, then I hope Derrek Lee is.

I'd be ok with Lee and Dunn. That depends on what Lee will sign for and you woudl have to deal Quentin which kind of stinks because you are selling low on him (I say you must move him because Dunn would have to be the DH and Quentin shouldn't play the OF regularly).

I'm sure there are teams interested in Konerko - we've heard about possibly Arizona and Texas, but the market has moved slowly so far. As good a season as Konerko had last season, he's 33 or 34 years old, and guys like Crawford and possibly Dunn need to move off the market first unless Konerko is willing to sign below value. Once Crawford and a few others fall of the market, action for Konerko will heat up, and there's probably a very good chance he remains in Chicago because the Sox are unlikely to spend what it will take for Dunn, and may be able to keep Konerko for 2 or 3 years (as oppposed to 4 years for another guy).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I'd be ok with Lee and Dunn. That depends on what Lee will sign for and you woudl have to deal Quentin which kind of stinks because you are selling low on him (I say you must move him because Dunn would have to be the DH and Quentin shouldn't play the OF regularly).

White Sox fans should be used to having bad defense in RF by this point. We've had it for like the last 6 years. I don't think that his defense is going to be a factor in him getting moved, as bad as it is. If anything, it will simply be to free up some money because he is a player that is going to cost a fair share of money and is relatively easily moved.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:22 AM)

I dont want Adam Dunn anywhere near 1B, let him DH. He is an absolute butcher at 1B, think Mark Teahen like. If you let Dunn play 1B I gurantee you see a ton more throwing errors from the infield, hes downright awful. If you want Dunn, fine, but dont let him near the playing field. Problem is so is Quentin and so its Teahen and these guys need their AB's. Its not a good thing to have a host of big oaf like sluggers in your lineup with no where to stick them in the field. I believe and I still think KW and lots of baseball minds believe that championship baseball begins with speed, athleticism, defense, and pitching. After that you can plop a DH slugger in, but first and foremost lets get the core in place.

Edited by joeynach

I just don't really get how we can waste all that money on Edwin that could have gone toward keeping Paulie.

Is Edwin worth that much more to our rotation than Hudson? If we can keep Paulie in the meantime?

Could be a very stupid decision.

That said, if Paulie walks, I agree ... please let it be AZ.

Viciedo offensively could be basically Alexei in his first year but with a lot more power. I actually kind of like the idea of Derek Lee + Viciedo + Matsui at say $14M combined or less and all (except Viciedo) on short-term deals. I was thinking well before this offseason that Paulie would have to sign in the $8-9M per range because the market had kind of corrected itself, but with it looking like $12M per is a certainly and $13-15M per is a possibility, I'm not really going to get all too excited about bringing back Paulie. If it's a 1-year deal fine, but it won't be and he'll probably get 3 years guaranteed. I don't really want that at all to be honest, although it could work.

With the market being crazy again we should see if we can eat a couple mil on each of Teahen and Linebrink's deals and spin them off for nothing in return. And maybe we could just give Pierre away also if we sent the Dodgers cash with him. I can't believe the Giants gave that money to Tejada, and I can't believe the Tigers gave that money to Peralta and Benoit, so maybe there's hope for us yet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 12:32 AM)
I just don't really get how we can waste all that money on Edwin that could have gone toward keeping Paulie.

Is Edwin worth that much more to our rotation than Hudson? If we can keep Paulie in the meantime?

Could be a very stupid decision.

That said, if Paulie walks, I agree ... please let it be AZ.

I don't think the money being spent on Jackson interferes with any offer they will make or have made to Konerko. I doubt the Sox would offer more than $12 million per for 2 years even if they hadn't traded for Jackson. If Paulie plays somewhere else, I'd be surprised if it were for much more money. He might want a third year or he might want to play somewhere else for other reasons.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
White Sox fans should be used to having bad defense in RF by this point. We've had it for like the last 6 years. I don't think that his defense is going to be a factor in him getting moved, as bad as it is. If anything, it will simply be to free up some money because he is a player that is going to cost a fair share of money and is relatively easily moved.

6 years? Dye wasn't horrible defensively in 2005, he started to decline (IMO) in 2006, but didn't start becoming super-bad until 2007.