Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I agree, this sets up a bad situation for the players and other coaches. Ozzie's son is causing some significant problems here.

I feel like Bobby Jenks was the one who set up the bad situation, and I really think this clears the air.

Think about it...these guys covered for Bobby, seemingly for years. They gave him about a half-dozen more chances to be the closer this year than I personally thought he deserved. When he was having personal problems, the team said nothing about it, even when he went on the bereavement list for whatever reason, they kept their mouths completely shut.

The only thing they asked in return was the same kind of respect that they gave him. And he decided he didn't want to give them that respect.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
I hate to see this come true, but I called this a while ago. If Oney was right and Jenks started drinking again and was having marital issues during the season, it explains the bereavement leave as well as KW and Ozzie said they were disappointed in Jenks on and off the field. There's still a lot more to this story, so Jenks needs to just be quiet. However, Oney is so ignorant for airing this dirty laundry.

I remember saying at that time that there was more to that story. It was never really explained, which struck me as really odd.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Oney behaving like this, sends a signal to the rest of the whitesox. Can't go to ozzie with your problems or when Oney is around you need to shut up, because Ozzie and his idiot sons can't keep there mouths shut. They will need to find someone else to talk to, which is ashame. A player should be able to go to his manager, as a leader, mentor and coach and share an issue that maybe affecting there play. That said, I am sure Bobby is not out of his problems and these will re-surfice once again fortunately not for the whitesox.

And I doubt the Boston media will be quiet about them.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think Jenks' comments were that unusual or out of line.

IMO, it's only Oney's over-the-top media whore-ish reaction that flamed this into something larger than the backpage footnote it would have been.

While funny, I do wish he would STFU. Because this kind of stuff does nothing except perpetuate a negative image of the organization...

Even though nobody from the organization has said anything (yet).

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
I may be in the minority, but I don't think Jenks' comments were that unusual or out of line.

IMO, it's only Oney's over-the-top media whore-ish reaction that flamed this into something larger than the backpage footnote it would have been.

While funny, I do wish he would STFU. Because this kind of stuff does nothing except perpetuate a negative image of the organization...

Even though nobody from the organization has said anything (yet).

Right on.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)

Knowing how much crap his teammates and management had to put up with for him, he should have bit his tongue and been a man about it all instead of whining. f*** him and his obesity.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:18 AM)
That's not the message this sends. The message this sends is that if you don't want your dirty laundry aired...then keep your own mouth shut. Ripping the team that knows all your dirty laundry? That's moronic.

Every one in that locker room suffered last year because of Bobby's problems, and every one of them kept their mouths shut. Bobby Jenks left, and immediately decided that he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and blamed the people who were covering for him.

I don't think I've ever seen a post from you in which I've disagreed more sternly with than this one. It is absolutely ridiculous and Oney needs to keep his mouth shut. This reflects very poorly on Ozzie and it is to the point that Ozzie needs to keep his mouth shut when he talks about baseball with his family because they have loose lips.

I know the organization didn't say these things, but if I'm a player and I see this happen, I think twice about coming to Ozzie with something.

I should point out, Jenks problems are far more severe than the typical situation and the Sox stuck by his side through some bad moments. Jenks isn't all that different from Josh Hamilton and people seem to forget that. While Hamilton was into much harder drugs, Bobby Jenks minor league time with the Angels and his childhood are well documented and the Sox did a lot for him and I'm sure they don't like hearing what they did. At the same time, Oney can't go out and run his mouth and someone needs to shut him up. I have no doubt what Oney said is 100% true though, but still, shut your mouth.

I think you have to add in more of the full picture before you can compare Jenks to Hamilton.

Let's hypothetically say that Hamilton had fallen off the wagon fully in 2009 (when he had that first few drinks and was wandering around asking if anyone has some coke, by his own description).

Then, the Rangers cover for him. They continue investing money in him, continue giving him shots, don't bench him even while he's struggling, and finally let him go when his contract ends. They never say anything publicly about anything.

Then, Hamilton comes out and criticizes the team for not giving him enough playing time. After all the covering for him that the team had done.

You really would keep your mouth shut? If you were another player on that team, would you respect the team more if they continued to keep their mouth shut or if they stepped up and defended themselves?

I'd find it much more pathetic if the team kept its mouth shut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
I think you have to add in more of the full picture before you can compare Jenks to Hamilton.

Let's hypothetically say that Hamilton had fallen off the wagon fully in 2009 (when he had that first few drinks and was wandering around asking if anyone has some coke, by his own description).

Then, the Rangers cover for him. They continue investing money in him, continue giving him shots, don't bench him even while he's struggling, and finally let him go when his contract ends. They never say anything publicly about anything.

Then, Hamilton comes out and criticizes the team for not giving him enough playing time. After all the covering for him that the team had done.

You really would keep your mouth shut? If you were another player on that team, would you respect the team more if they continued to keep their mouth shut or if they stepped up and defended themselves?

I'd find it much more pathetic if the team kept its mouth shut.

An organizations job isn't to go out and air dirty laundry. No one looks good if you go back and forth with an organizaiton. I think in general the Sox have a strong reputation for taking care of players and there are plenty of guys that have said good things about there time in Chicago (Big Hurt - even after his tirade with Kenny; Griffey Jr; Uribe; Thome; Dye; Crede; Rowand).

Bottom line, we typically agree a lot on baseball ideas and notions but I just don't agree that it is an organizations job to go out and publicly rip a guy because he took a shot at you. I just take the no comment approach and walk away and do our thing. Winning shuts everything up and that is what the org is and should be focused on.

Now I think at times a coach might need to call a player out in the media or they need to set an example of a guy and in those specific instances there could be reasons to go to the media, but this wasn't one of them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't think I've ever seen a post from you in which I've disagreed more sternly with than this one. It is absolutely ridiculous and Oney needs to keep his mouth shut. This reflects very poorly on Ozzie and it is to the point that Ozzie needs to keep his mouth shut when he talks about baseball with his family because they have loose lips.

I know the organization didn't say these things, but if I'm a player and I see this happen, I think twice about coming to Ozzie with something.

I should point out, Jenks problems are far more severe than the typical situation and the Sox stuck by his side through some bad moments. Jenks isn't all that different from Josh Hamilton and people seem to forget that. While Hamilton was into much harder drugs, Bobby Jenks minor league time with the Angels and his childhood are well documented and the Sox did a lot for him and I'm sure they don't like hearing what they did. At the same time, Oney can't go out and run his mouth and someone needs to shut him up. I have no doubt what Oney said is 100% true though, but still, shut your mouth.

After all the "he said she said" worthless name calling is done, this will be the issue that will effect the Sox during the season. Ozzie needs to be able to communicate with his players as he has always done. This issue may inhibit communication and could really hurt the Sox.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
An organizations job isn't to go out and air dirty laundry.

Absolutely correct. People seem to forget sometimes that this is a business and things employers do/say fall underneath HR guidelines.

Management is legally held to a different standard than employees.

Edited by scenario

I'm still on the other side on this one, and you and I are obviously going to disagree.

But in the sense of being another player in that locker room...let's say I'm Matt Thornton or JJ Putz. Bobby Jenks has been doing things in his personal life that have affected his performance on the field. He's blowing games that I think I could finish. I'm not getting my shot to close because Ozzie sticks with him. I keep my mouth shut despite the fact that Bobby's personal issues are boiling over on to the field and we're losing games because of it.

My career is being hurt because of the number of chances that Ozzie is giving Jenks.

And then Jenks comes out and attacks Ozzie's use of the bullpen? I'd want to be the one ripping him publicly.

You can do the same game with any of the other players...every one of them is keeping his mouth shut about Bobby's issues...they're losing games because of it...and Bobby has the audacity to complain about how he was being used and demand even more of a free ride?

You guys can look at it and say that this would build a wall up between Ozzie and his players, I see the opposite. If I were on that team, I'd respect him a lot more if I know that there's only so far that he can be pushed.

What Jenks did (comments about Ozzie) is pretty normal. When players get let go some tend to fire back at their old team (recent example, Theriot - Cubs). However Oney was WAY out of line with his comments. Not good for the clubhouse and not good for Ozzie. Oney is a dbag.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:44 AM)
What Jenks did (comments about Ozzie) is pretty normal. When players get let go some tend to fire back at their old team (recent example, Theriot - Cubs).

Yes Oney is a douche but this isn't a typical scenario of a player being let go. The Sox went above and beyond in helping Bobby and keeping things on the down low.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
I'm still on the other side on this one, and you and I are obviously going to disagree.

But in the sense of being another player in that locker room...let's say I'm Matt Thornton or JJ Putz. Bobby Jenks has been doing things in his personal life that have affected his performance on the field. He's blowing games that I think I could finish. I'm not getting my shot to close because Ozzie sticks with him. I keep my mouth shut despite the fact that Bobby's personal issues are boiling over on to the field and we're losing games because of it.

My career is being hurt because of the number of chances that Ozzie is giving Jenks.

And then Jenks comes out and attacks Ozzie's use of the bullpen? I'd want to be the one ripping him publicly.

You can do the same game with any of the other players...every one of them is keeping his mouth shut about Bobby's issues...they're losing games because of it...and Bobby has the audacity to complain about how he was being used and demand even more of a free ride?

You guys can look at it and say that this would build a wall up between Ozzie and his players, I see the opposite. If I were on that team, I'd respect him a lot more if I know that there's only so far that he can be pushed.

Yeah, but Ozzie isnt the one taking the shots here, Oney is. Which looks like Ozzie is coming home and blabbing about his players issues, and in turn those family members are airing out the dirty laundry in a misguided attempt at defending Ozzie.

All this does is make Ozzie look like a big mouth who cannot be trusted with any private issues, and it is even worse because Oney originally started this crusade last season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Yeah, but Ozzie isnt the one taking the shots here, Oney is. Which looks like Ozzie is coming home and blabbing about his players issues, and in turn those family members are airing out the dirty laundry in a misguided attempt at defending Ozzie.

All this does is make Ozzie look like a big mouth who cannot be trusted with any private issues, and it is even worse because Oney originally started this crusade last season.

You do not know that Ozzie told these things to Oney. It is just as likely that Oney and Jenks partied together.

For everyone that thinks Guillen will lose credabiltiy on this, I really do not think that managers and players are really that intimate in one anothers personal lives.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
You do not know that Ozzie told these things to Oney. It is just as likely that Oney and Jenks partied together.

For everyone that thinks Guillen will lose credabiltiy on this, I really do not think that managers and players are really that intimate in one anothers personal lives.

While it's entirely possible that Oney and Jenks could have been drinking buddies...that actually would make me more negative on Ozzie's handling of the whole situation...

Because if Jenks's off-the-field issues are affecting his on-the-field play...and your own son is encouraging that off-the-field behavior...then Oney's partying is costing the White Sox wins. That's not exactly a selling point.