Teahen your starter?

southsider2k5

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have preferred an open compeition in spring. Teahen had every oppurtunity last year to win the job going into this one, he didn't. Meanwhile, Morel rides in and actually shows the kinds of things that this orgaization has been looking for since Crede went down mid-2007. Morel should be given a chance here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
If Teahen is better than Morel, the job is his. I believe Teahen sucks, but I don't think what Ozzie said is wrong. Competition is a good thing.

So how do you supplement a non-strikeout staff? Start a TERRIBLE defensive 3B when you already have arguably the worst defensive player in baseball in RF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
Geez, my bad. I didn't realize you were purposly trying to spread the conversation over multiple threads. Can I start another thread for Hudson vs. Jackson too?

You don't want to do that. I will unleash more fury. I still can't get over that s***.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
So how do you supplement a non-strikeout staff? Start a TERRIBLE defensive 3B when you already have arguably the worst defensive player in baseball in RF.

You don't want to do that. I will unleash more fury. I still can't get over that s***.

There is always the slight possibility he's improved both offensively and defensively. If he's the same player, he isn't going to play much.

I don't think this means Teahen is the starter. It would be a slap in the face to the guy you just extended for 3 years to tell him he has no shot at starting. I think they will break camp with Morel at 3rd because he earns it over Teahen, but Teahen will get every shot to win the job. Teahen could be one motivated mofo right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
There is always the slight possibility he's improved both offensively and defensively. If he's the same player, he isn't going to play much.

Teahen only started 49 games at 3B last year. But he was AWFUL. He's been below replacement level for the last 4 years. I don't know how one could expect him to suddenly get better over one offseason.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
I don't think this means Teahen is the starter. It would be a slap in the face to the guy you just extended for 3 years to tell him he has no shot at starting. I think they will break camp with Morel at 3rd because he earns it over Teahen, but Teahen will get every shot to win the job. Teahen could be one motivated mofo right now.

Just because KW and the front office f***ed up with that ridiculous extension doesn't mean Teahen is special and deserves the benefit of the doubt. Unless he hits .800 in spring training he should not be the the opening day 3B.

Ozzie talks out of whichever side of his mouth happens to be open at the time, so I don't know which position to believe. What I do know, however, is that Ozzie values defense, and Teahen got very little playing time after coming back from his injury (at least I think he did, I freely admit I didn't check his PAs). There may be a "competition" but unless Morel looks every bit the minor leaguer in spring training, I bet he opens the season as the starter.

Call it intuition (just don't call it female inuition).

Bear in mind that I'm always wrong.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
Teahen only started 49 games at 3B last year. But he was AWFUL. He's been below replacement level for the last 4 years. I don't know how one could expect him to suddenly get better over one offseason.

What's the harm is saying he still has a shot to play? Why do you just hand 3B on a team trying to win to a rookie with very little experience? If Teahen hasn't made himself better prior to the beginning of the season, he's going to have a hard time getting playing time. Competition is good for everyone involved. If it puts too much pressure on Morel and he can't perform well in spring training, than he wasn't going to do much as the starter anyway. There's really nothing to get bent out of shape here. If Teahen is a better player than Morel in spring training, he'll most likely play. If he's not he won't play. Odds are he's not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
What's the harm is saying he still has a shot to play? Why do you just hand 3B on a team trying to win to a rookie with very little experience? If Teahen hasn't made himself better prior to the beginning of the season, he's going to have a hard time getting playing time. Competition is good for everyone involved. If it puts too much pressure on Morel and he can't perform well in spring training, than he wasn't going to do much as the starter anyway. There's really nothing to get bent out of shape here. If Teahen is a better player than Morel in spring training, he'll most likely play. If he's not he won't play. Odds are he's not.

I just get annoyed with the 'slap in the face' comment by Ozzie. Like Teahen is some proven player that just had a down year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Just because KW and the front office f***ed up with that ridiculous extension doesn't mean Teahen is special and deserves the benefit of the doubt. Unless he hits .800 in spring training he should not be the the opening day 3B.

I don't think you have to worry. Teahen is so blatantly unathletic that I'm sure he'll play himself out of any starting role. The front office and Ozzie can't say that to his face though; these are human beings here and I'm sure Teahen signed the extension with a promise of X amount of playing time, and the whole situation has gotten really awkward because he sucked and the team sucked when he played last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
I just get annoyed with the 'slap in the face' comment by Ozzie. Like Teahen is some proven player that just had a down year.

Well its not like Morel is some top rated prospect or was so outstanding last year that he deserves to be given the job. It should be an open competition at this point.

That is a problem that I have with people getting quoted on Twitter-practically anything will be taken out of context.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 20, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
I still think KW gives Eric Chavez a shot to be our starting third baseman.

I think he's working out for the Dodgers.

I don't see anything wrong with what Guillen said either. I dislike Teahen as a player and would like to see a competition. It would be ridiculous to annoint a dude who saw the bigs for a month the opening day starter. Nothing wrong with him working his way into more playing time. There is also Vizquel to consider if neither can be of help.