Who is the best player on the Sox right now?

southsider2k5

Sox player poll  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best player on the Sox right now?

• Paul Konerko
    • Adam Dunn
    • Matt Thornton
    • Mark Buehrle
    • John Danks
    • Chris Sale
    • Alex Rios
    • Alexei Ramirez
    • AJ Pierzynski
    • Jake Peavy

I can't pick one, they have several good to very good players, but they don't have one who is heads and shoulders above everyone else. All of the Sox players have distinct and obvious weaknesses, which is probably why they consistently win 86-90 games but never more than 90. This team has its best chance since 2006 to win more than 90 games, but I don't see them winning more than 92, which is why I have them winning the AL wild card this season. If I had to pick, I'd pick a completely healthy Peavy, but I don't know if we'll ever see that guy again. In fact a completely healthy Peavy is said guy who is heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
Can't take a pitcher. Dunn has never swung a bat for the Sox and his defense is under par. I went with Paulie after last year with Alexi a close second.

I am OK with Dunn's defense not quite living up the mark of other DH's.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
The question is too vague. So I decided to break it down into categories.

* John Danks- Best Starting Pitcher. He is the most consistent SP on the staff and eats up a lot of innings. He is extremely valuable to the rotation.

* Alex Rios- Best all-around player. When it comes to tools, Alex has it all. He can hit for power, steel bases and cover a lot of ground out in CF. Its extremely refeshing to not have to worry about who will fill that CF void.

* Paul Konerko- Best Slugger. This guy can work the counts and can be a major run producer. He is the KING of the Southside and im very happy they brought him back.

* Alexei Ramirez- Best Defender. This guy is fun to watch. Watching him getting better and better with the glove each year has been a sight to see. I'm predicting GOLD GLOVE in 2011 :)

* Matt Thorton- Best Reliever. This guy has been our most consistent reliever for the past 5 seasons! He comes in and gets the job done. We may even see him in some closing situations in 2011.

* Gordon Beckham & Chris Sale- Most Promising. If these guys can live up to their potential in 2011. I think we can do a lot of damage in the central.

* Adam Dunn- Best Addition. We lacked left handed power last year and a true DH. KW filled that hole with the signing of Adam Dunn. His career .381 OPB and 100+ RBIs is going to give our offense a major booster.

* Carlos Quentin- Sleeping Giant. I know he has dissappointed us the past few seasons. However, now the pressure is off of him to be that main run producer, i think he will have a respectable season and play average defense. If we 75% of his production from 2008- that would be a HUGE lifter for this club.

* Ramon Castro- Under rated. He is one of my favorites on the team. He comes in to spell AJ- can give you a big hit when you need and calls a great game! Gotta give some love to my boy Ramon!! :)

I know these are just opinions- but it was fun to break it down like this. By doing so- it got me pretty excited for baseball and the start of 2011. The White Sox Are ALL IN and I cant wait!

Great analysis...and I agree. Hard to say who "the best" player is. MVP: Paulie. Most Talented to me has to be either Alex or Lexi.

Dunn. Adam Dunn. And it's not that close to me. For those saying PK. Would you have said PK after '07, '08 or '09? Doubtful. You're going strictly off what he did last year. And he's due for a mega-crash (not saying he'll be a scrub, but he definitely won't be a top 5 1B) in '11. The age 35 season hasn't been kind to many players over the years, or more specifically, the post-steroid era. His BABIP and HR/FB % were well above his career averages last year. Rios is not consistent enough yet. He had a subpar June through September last year. Alexei has to realize that it's OK to show up in April/May. Can't really go with a pitcher, as they just can't have the impact of an every day player. Dunn is a mortal lock for .255-.260/40/100/.380/.540. And that's just his floor. His game translates to ANY park. So you could see a slight spike this year. Adam Dunn, my friends, is the White Sox' best player. Juan Pierre is our worst every day player (not including Morel, who's an unknown at this point).

Edited by Jordan4life

Any of those would be a great pick. I leaned towards Konerko, adding in some intangibles like leadership. I wish I could have justified Buerhle somehow, but I just couldn't build a strong enough case besides knowing you can count on him for 30+ starts and 13+ wins.

Will Konerko have the best season of any Sox player? I really do not think so, there are 4 or 5 guys that easily could surpass him. But those same guys could also be the worse of the bunch, and I just do not see Konerko being the worse of the bunch. So that was kind of the edge I gave him, and the comment from Rock I think it was about being the only legit MVP candidate last season.

I went with Paul Konerko.

A slugger who also is willing to slug a simple single up the middle or to left when the team needs it.

A scoop artist at first who isn't a bad defender at all.

Also a pretty good hitter in the clutch.

He might suck big time this year, who knows, but I think entering the season on paper he's our best player.

Because the question is the best player, I eliminated all of the 1-dimensional players and pitchers, which left Alexei, AJ amd Alex. AJ is too slow and can't hit much anymore and some aspects of his defense is meh. So, I went with Rios - better hitter and base runner than Alexei. Both are great defensively and play key defensive positions. Alexei is a close second.

Edited by everafan