Make it Milledge

macsandz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
I find this interesting:

Lillibridge career minor league slash stats:

.268/.348/.409/.758

Milledge career major league slash stats:

.269/.328/.394/.723

Interesting, but irrelevent, especially consideing Milledge did most of his minor league work as an under 24 year old, is younger than Lillibridge and Brent has spent the last 4 seasons basically in AAA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
Interesting, but irrelavent, especially consideing Milledge did most of his minor league work as an under 24 year old, is younger than Lillibridge and Brent has spent the last 4 seasons basically in AAA.

Those are Milledge's major league numbers, his minor league numbers blow Lillibridge's out of the water.

For as much of a f***up as Milledge has been during his major league career the numbers he put up are still comparable to what Lillibridge was doing at much lower levels of competition.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
I find this interesting:

Lillibridge career minor league slash stats:

.268/.348/.409/.758

Milledge career major league slash stats:

.269/.328/.394/.723

Milledge's minor league slash

.301 .379 .470 .849

Milledge has a ton of potential over Lillibridge, and given what we already have and need, he is a much better fit. Lillibridge is just a terrible ballplayer, and should not be on a 25 man roster of a team that is trying to contend.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Milledge's minor league slash

.301 .379 .470 .849

Milledge has a ton of potential over Lillibridge, and given what we already have and need, he is a much better fit. Lillibridge is just a terrible ballplayer, and should not be on a 25 man roster of a team that is trying to contend.

It's funny because I've just kind of counted Lillibridge out all along since he's, you know, terrible. I had no idea anyone was hoping he'd make the roster out of spring training. What versatility he does possess is redundant on this ballclub, he's probably slower than the other 2 he's competing against, I know for a fact he's slower than De Aza, he's the oldest of the 3 (19 months older than Milledge, 1 year older than De Aza) and he's the weakest hitter of the bunch since he's pretty much a disgrace at the plate.

I just assumed he'd be dumped near the end of camp, likely via trade for next to nothing and either De Aza or Milledge would be carried. I thought De Aza may have a slight advantage since he can't be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers and Milledge can though Lastings has at least proven that he can hit a little at the major league level, something De Aza hasn't had a chance to prove really thanks in part to the devastating ankle injury he suffered in '07. And then there's Milledge's potential.

I'm still thinking De Aza or Milledge and I'm not sure I REALLY care which of the 2 is chosen though I'd probably lean toward Milledge.

This is also assuming Milledge has no out clause in his contract, something I haven't seen reported anywhere. They're generally given to vets, though Milledge's production last season really should have landed him with a major league gig for 2011 so it'd be odd to see him start the season in the minors.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
It's funny because I've just kind of counted Lillibridge out all along since he's, you know, terrible. I had no idea anyone was hoping he'd make the roster out of spring training. What versatility he does possess is redundant on this ballclub, he's probably slower than the other 2 he's competing against, I know for a fact he's slower than De Aza, he's the oldest of the 3 (19 months older than Milledge, 1 year older than De Aza) and he's the weakest hitter of the bunch since he's pretty much a disgrace at the plate.

I just assumed he'd be dumped near the end of camp, likely via trade for next to nothing and either De Aza or Milledge would be carried. I thought De Aza may have a slight advantage since he can't be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers and Milledge can though Lastings has at least proven that he can hit a little at the major league level, something De Aza hasn't had a chance to prove really thanks in part to the devastating ankle injury he suffered in '07. And then there's Milledge's potential.

I'm still thinking De Aza or Milledge and I'm not sure I REALLY care which of the 2 is chosen though I'd probably lean toward Milledge.

This is also assuming Milledge has no out clause in his contract, something I haven't seen reported anywhere. They're generally given to vets, though Milledge's production last season really should have landed him with a major league gig for 2011 so it'd be odd to see him start the season in the minors.

Couldn't say it better.

I understand that Millhouse is supposed to be better than Bridge, but this is all in-theory talk. I'd love for Millions to realize all that potential but I'm not sold on him hitting any grooves off our bench. I hated Bridge more than anything until he came in for Beckham. I'm still amazed by some of those balls he hit that first week. Been a fan ever since and I like him on our bench.

You're going to allow 20 ABs effect your whole image of a baseball player, great.

Lillibridge is about as bad as you will see in the bigs when it comes to hitting, and his fielding his nothing special either. So why are people so enthralled by him?

Milledge has atleast shown that he can hit in the majors, and has the potential to be a starter, Lillibridge shouldn't even make an MLB team.

Here's how I see it: last season Milledge hit .277/.332/.380/.712 over 412 PA. Can you even imagine Lillibridge putting up those kinds of numbers of the same amount of PA? I doubt you can. The last time Milledge got that many PA he put up a line of .268/.330/.402/.731 over 587 PA at age 23, once again mediocre for a prospect of Lastings' caliber but still better production than you can possibly imagine from Lillibridge.

Milledge has proven that he can hit a little bit at the major league level and plays all the positions that the Sox require out of that last man on the bench, they have plenty of personnel that can cover the infield position, what they need is someone to cover the outfield, hit a little and run little. We KNOW Milledge can do this, with Lillibridge it's somehow a stretch even though the expectations are low. Then you factor in age and potential and it becomes a landslide in my mind.

Pierre has taken Milledge under his wing. Pierre is a great club house presence and does a great job for players that at one time were 'lost' or looking to find there way on a new team. I have a feeling Rios success in 2010 had a lot to do with Pierre. He keeps guys loose and comfortable.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
I understand that Millhouse is supposed to be better than Bridge, but this is all in-theory talk. I'd love for Millions to realize all that potential but I'm not sold on him hitting any grooves off our bench. I hated Bridge more than anything until he came in for Beckham. I'm still amazed by some of those balls he hit that first week. Been a fan ever since and I like him on our bench.

To be someone who was impressed with a guy who had 22 hits the entire season and was 11 for his last 70 with 29 ks, its not all-theory talk you will be impressed with Lastings Milledge at the plate. In fact, you'll probably be impressed with Teahen's glove at 3B. He can string 3 or 4 good games together.

Edited by Dick Allen

I like the track record the Sox have when it comes to taking the "do not wants" of other organizations and making it work. (Manny even hit a home run!) I don't like the track record the Sox have when it comes to taking players who have spent more than 4 hours in their minor league system and making it work.

But really, I want to see Milledge with the team. I hope Ozzie doesn't have some irrational Kotsay-esque reasoning about why Lillibridge is more valuable to the team.

Have the people who were impressed with Lillibridge last season even looked at his minor league numbers? Last year in AAA he put up a .708 OPS in a pretty damn good hitters park. It was his third season in AAA and his overall best year since 2007. I don't care what he did at the major league level for a couple of months, the guy is not and will never be a good offensive player. This is like the Donny Lucy stuff all over again. Every once in a while a garbage player can get lucky in the majors for a period of time. That doesn't make him a good player.

Now, Lillibridge may not be a pure garbage player. He's versatile and fast which can be great for a bench, but he doesn't play any of his positions at an elite level. He's a great 26th man if he's down in AAA backing up our backups, but due to his lack of options, that's probably not a possibility anymore. If you can get him through waivers and have him in AAA in the event of an injury then great. But there's absolutely no reason to put him on the major league roster if we're going with a four man bench and already have two infielders. We need a legit fourth outfielder and Millidge is the best guy for that job IMO. Plus he can mash lefties (another need on our bench) and still has the potential to become an everyday player. He's the better option for 2011 and he's the better option in 2012 and beyond when Pierre and Quentin could be gone. I don't see how anyone could honestly prefer Lillibridge over him. I think people are being blinded by a couple of lucky months from Lillibridge.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
Have the people who were impressed with Lillibridge last season even looked at his minor league numbers? Last year in AAA he put up a .708 OPS in a pretty damn good hitters park. It was his third season in AAA and his overall best year since 2007. I don't care what he did at the major league level for a couple of months, the guy is not and will never be a good offensive player. This is like the Donny Lucy stuff all over again. Every once in a while a garbage player can get lucky in the majors for a period of time. That doesn't make him a good player.

Now, Lillibridge may not be a pure garbage player. He's versatile and fast which can be great for a bench, but he doesn't play any of his positions at an elite level. He's a great 26th man if he's down in AAA backing up our backups, but due to his lack of options, that's probably not a possibility anymore. If you can get him through waivers and have him in AAA in the event of an injury then great. But there's absolutely no reason to put him on the major league roster if we're going with a four man bench and already have two infielders. We need a legit fourth outfielder and Millidge is the best guy for that job IMO. Plus he can mash lefties (another need on our bench) and still has the potential to become an everyday player. He's the better option for 2011 and he's the better option in 2012 and beyond when Pierre and Quentin could be gone. I don't see how anyone could honestly prefer Lillibridge over him. I think people are being blinded by a couple of lucky months from Lillibridge.

I don't see that being a problem. And yes, Milledge is an absolute perfect fit for this team. It isn't just what he brings to the table (which is more than Lillibridge and is suited better to our needs), but he also compliments Teahen very well with the way each hits well against pitchers from opposite sides of the mound. People want Lillibridge because they have seen him before and believe he's a known commodity. I notice a lot of these people are the same ones who wanted to keep Crede around long after his usefulness went away.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
I don't see that being a problem. And yes, Milledge is an absolute perfect fit for this team. It isn't just what he brings to the table (which is more than Lillibridge and is suited better to our needs), but he also compliments Teahen very well with the way each hits well against pitchers from opposite sides of the mound. People want Lillibridge because they have seen him before and believe he's a known commodity. I notice a lot of these people are the same ones who wanted to keep Crede around long after his usefulness went away.

I have only seen one person say they want Lillibridge on the team. Others have said they think he'll make the team, but that's different.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
I have only seen one person say they want Lillibridge on the team. Others have said they think he'll make the team, but that's different.

I want Lillibridge because I stopped having DirecTV in mid-August :D

Seriously, though, the only thing he brings to the table is the ability to play multiple positions adequately and a single flash of decent hitting. I've had my eye on Milledge for years now, and I'd like to see if he can actualize his potential. He's so damn TOOLSY! Which I think is the opposite of grindy?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)

couldnt agree more, milledge, deaza>>>>lilli