Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:40 AM)
Oh my goodness. f*** Peavy. They're going to have to do this thing without him. I'm no longer going to check this thread for any bulls*** updates talking about how Peavy is right on schedule. It's futile. This guy is toast. This is our payback for reveling in all Wood/Prior injuries.

Padres sold us a lemon it appears. They had huge concerns over how his arm would hold up, and you got to give them credit for having the guts to trade the face of the franchise.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
Padres sold us a lemon it appears. They had huge concerns over how his arm would hold up, and you got to give them credit for having the guts to trade the face of the franchise.

People really think they were really enamored with the garbage bunch of prospects we gave up to get him. "See, we do have a farm!" It was all about getting out from under that contract for a pitcher that has been injury prone since 2008.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
Be really nice if Sox call an audible and start the process of making Sale a starter.

I'd be all for that, but Sale would have to go down and start for a couple months, and earn his way into the rotation. It can't just be that his pitch count is at a certain level.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
People really think they were really enamored with the garbage bunch of prospects we gave up to get him. "See, we do have a farm!" It was all about getting out from under that contract for a pitcher that has been injury prone since 2008.

Well it was all about getting out from under that contract, regardless of his success or injury proneness.

It was and still is a risk. I'm not going to write it completely off as I think that's silly, but it's definitely frustrating as a fan and there has to be concern that he's not going to be fully back for a long time.

Just hope it's nothing serious tomorrow.

(you can also read into this that one of the biggest Peavy backers on the site is starting to lose a little faith, but I wouldn't do that)

Looks like a full season of Phil Humber. Forget about Sale starting. That ship sailed months ago. And we already have a bullpen that features Pena, Ohman and Gray. What nothing reliever could we bring up from the system to take his place? No organizational depth whatsoever. Tapped out money wise. Attendance has been disappointing. Yeah, not a lot to like right now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:59 AM)
Trading for Peavy was a gamble that was worth taking. However, Kenny Williams actions since Peavy's torn lat are indefensible IMO. Can't trade Hudson, can't go "all in" counting on this guy to be healthy.

The returns on his last 3 major trades (Swisher/Javy/Peavy) are shockingly bad. I'm obviously not an Ozzie fan, but KW deserves more blame than anyone for the mess this organization is in.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
The returns on his last 3 major trades (Swisher/Javy/Peavy) are shockingly bad. I'm obviously not an Ozzie fan, but KW deserves more blame than anyone for the mess this organization is in.

Add Jackson to that list. I don't care what anybody says. Other than Jackson winning the CY, ALCS and World Series MVP there's nothing he can do this year that will justify throwing away 5+ years of the considerably cheaper, and probably better, Hudson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Focus should be on 2012 for Peavy. Seems this year is pushing it

At least this should end everyone's hope that he will be an ace or top starter for us. Its time to move on and forget he is even on this team. Waiting around for him is a wasted effort.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
At least this should end everyone's hope that he will be an ace or top starter for us. Its time to move on and forget he is even on this team. Waiting around for him is a wasted effort.

I'm going to have to agree to this. Peavy is damaged goods and was damaged when he came to us.. we took a gamble and so far its failed. Its time to stop believing he's going to all of a sudden become less injury prone and an ace again.. work with him slowly andd who knows, maybe he'll show up a year from now and be nice surprise comeback. Just my .2 cents.

It's a stab in the dick, but I agree with the sentiment to pretend he's not even a part of s*** right now. I'm not depending on anything from Peavy. Humber has been good. Keep growing your pair. It's still early; and who is ahead of us in the freakin' AL Central? Cleveland and Kansas City who are about to have 7 games against each other.

This season is still "all in" in my mind; we just pretend that (the ramifications of) Jake Peavy('s contract) doesn't exist and we're fine.

I had no problems with the Peavy trade when it happened but I was scratching my head a little when Jake came back in Sept. 2009 because of the possibility of what ended up happening. We all have heard stories of pitchers hurting a foot or a knee and altering their mechanics and then boom-career over due to arm issues. I'm afraid that this may have happened to Peavy. There was no reason for Peavy to pitch in 2009. The Sox were already out of the race if not eliminated when Peavy made his comeback. For what, exactly did we need Peavy's services in 2009? Furthermore, when the trade was made I looked up highlights on mlb.com to see what we would be getting. I distinctly recall Peavy pitching at 89-91 with occasional pops at 92-93 with the fastball in September 2009. I knew he was favoring his ankle then due to the differences in velocity. Just as a reference, did Peavy hurt his left(plant) ankle? If so, then it makes sense. The the White Sox organization has mishandled their ace just as the Cubs did with Prior/Wood, and has destroyed a career in the process. They ruined Peavy just to show the fans that it was not a "dumb move mid season" They should have gone out at the time of the trade and told the fans that it would be like an offseason aquisition rather than a trade deadline move.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 03:37 AM)
I had no problems with the Peavy trade when it happened but I was scratching my head a little when Jake came back in Sept. 2009 because of the possibility of what ended up happening. We all have heard stories of pitchers hurting a foot or a knee and altering their mechanics and then boom-career over due to arm issues. I'm afraid that this may have happened to Peavy. There was no reason for Peavy to pitch in 2009. The Sox were already out of the race if not eliminated when Peavy made his comeback. For what, exactly did we need Peavy's services in 2009? Furthermore, when the trade was made I looked up highlights on mlb.com to see what we would be getting. I distinctly recall Peavy pitching at 89-91 with occasional pops at 92-93 with the fastball in September 2009. I knew he was favoring his ankle then due to the differences in velocity. Just as a reference, did Peavy hurt his left(plant) ankle? If so, then it makes sense. The the White Sox organization has mishandled their ace just as the Cubs did with Prior/Wood, and has destroyed a career in the process. They ruined Peavy just to show the fans that it was not a "dumb move mid season" They should have gone out at the time of the trade and told the fans that it would be like an offseason aquisition rather than a trade deadline move.

Who knows if those innings hurt him, but I agree it was an absolutely ridiculous decision to pitch him at the end of that year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
I don't think bringing him up in 09 hurt his shoulder. I think his overall mechanics have always been bad, and they just caught up to him at age 28.

Did you miss the offseason interviews where Peavy said his mechanics were altered in Sept 2009 and that is why he believes that his lat muscle tore off the bone?

Edited by Elgin Slim