Milledge DFA

justBLAZE

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Simply put, we needed another reliever and Lastings was proving unreliable in the field. Boers and Bernstein mentioned his tenure wouldn't be long here, so who knows if he was in the doghouse for other things.

Nothing complicated about the decision. Hopefully the kid stays with the Sox system. He has a ton of talent and hopefully he can harness it with us

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
He'd still be gone. They needed a pitcher, plain and simple.

I realize it's just a matter of circumstances with the extra inning games and the fact they went with 11 pitchers to start the season and kept Milledge around after his very good spring.It sure didn't help him any for Ozzie to put him in left and DH Pierre. Why not just DH Milledge ? I also realize that Ozzie probably was just sticking to some sort of preplanned thing to give regulars time off, but if you're going to be playing any way why not keep people where they are most accustomed to being.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
I realize it's just a matter of circumstances with the extra inning games and the fact they went with 11 pitchers to start the season and kept Milledge around after his very good spring.It sure didn't help him any for Ozzie to put him in left and DH Pierre. Why not just DH Milledge ? I also realize that Ozzie probably was just sticking to some sort of preplanned thing to give regulars time off, but if you're going to be playing any way why not keep people where they are most accustomed to being.

Juan Pierre played 160 games last year. Ozzie's going to put him out there almost every day. If you can buy an extra day off for Pierre by putting him at DH for a day or two, you absolutely do it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Nothing complicated about the decision. Hopefully the kid stays with the Sox system. He has a ton of talent and hopefully he can harness it with us

I'd be fine with this as well, especially with Pierre's contract expiring after this season. If the Sox fail to go deep into the playoffs this season and decide to take a step back next season, giving Milledge a shot to win the LF job wouldn't be a bad idea. He needs to watch those Tom Emanski videos in the off-season, though. Yeesh...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
Juan Pierre played 160 games last year. Ozzie's going to put him out there almost every day. If you can buy an extra day off for Pierre by putting him at DH for a day or two, you absolutely do it.

And just for the record, since I don't think it has been mentioned when the decision to question Milledge in LF happens, Pierre did go 3-5 with an XBH.

I ask this again ... why do some of you care about Lastings Milledge so much?

The guy is a nobody.

Maybe Buehrle and Paulie told Ozzie to drop the guy after his early-season butcher jobs in the OF.

Lastings wasn't the answer.

Now if/when we dump Teahen I'll be even happier.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 01:58 AM)

The guy is a nobody.

Maybe Buehrle and Paulie told Ozzie to drop the guy after his early-season butcher jobs in the OF.

I at least care about him because he has the talent to actually make a difference while Lillibridge is just kind of there.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)
I at least care about him because he has the talent to actually make a difference while Lillibridge is just kind of there.

What good is having talent if you can't transfer it to the field. I really don't get the what the big to do is about keeping either Milledge or Lillibridge. If the Sox season hinges on either of those 2 , then it's going to be a long year anyway.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
I love Andruw. I wanted him back more than AJ.

You wanted to keep a 4th OF more than your starting catcher? :huh:

Who was going to start at catcher if you let AJ go?

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (cws0591 @ Apr 7, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
I like Milledge and think he is a good bat. But he was not thrown into a terrible situation where he has seldom played. the position Ozzie put him in the outfield thinking The guy was a career outfielder and could play the position adequately. He Made several terrible plays in one game. To everyone bashing Lillibridge i ask who is the better fielder? who can play more positions? who has more speed? who is the better bunter?

How did Ozzie put him in a terrible position? Milledge IS a career outfielder, he is just pretty bad at it. In fact, he has never played a position other than outfield his entire career in the majors. So if he can't play OF all he can do is DH. When you have Quentin, Dunn, and Konerko on your team the last thing you need is another DH.

Lillibridge just plain beat him out. You knew they could not decide on one of them after the spring they both had so took then both instead of twelve pitchers. One of them was going to go sooner or later. Lillibridge just plain beat him out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
I thought the waiver wire window was ~10 days?

I believe the waiver wire is 2-3 days, and then the period of time that the Sox can take to designate him to a team is 10 days. Once the waivers pass, they get a bit longer of a time to decide to send him to Charlotte, or workout a trade (in theory)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 01:58 AM)

The guy is a nobody.

I think it's a matter of how well he played in the spring and earned a spot on the team. Now suddenly he's gone, and one would think that there's more to it than his lack of good play in the field. I personally don't see how Lillibridge offers more to the team...except on defense, and maybe that's the reason, but I have my doubts.

Milledge has been a guy that has a ton of talent/potential, but due to his behavior in years past hasn't become the player he could have. Now it seems like he's failed on another team, whether it be because of bad defense or bad behavior. It's too bad.

You had to know that the Sox wouldn't stick with 6 relievers for long. So if you are looking at sending down Lilli or Milli, its really pretty simple: Lillibridge is much more versatile defensively, and Milledge looked pretty bad in the field. You don't really expect either to hit for much, so... seems like the logical choice.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:02 AM)
You had to know that the Sox wouldn't stick with 6 relievers for long. So if you are looking at sending down Lilli or Milli, its really pretty simple: Lillibridge is much more versatile defensively, and Milledge looked pretty bad in the field. You don't really expect either to hit for much, so... seems like the logical choice.

Well that's where some people will disagree with you.