Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

Sox scouting Atlanta per Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

The White Sox recently sent assistant general manager Dave Yokum to scout some Braves games for pitching. Cafardo specifically cites Brandon Beachy as a starter the Sox were watching and says that Beachy or Derek Lowe could be shopped by Atlanta in exchange for a hitter. I think it's obvious the Braves would prefer to move the expensive Lowe rather than a young, controllable pitcher like Beachy, but if the Braves wanted to pick up a big bat like Carlos Quentin (as Cafardo speculates), Atlanta certainly has the pitching depth to spare.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)

Trading Q is one way to open a spot for Dayan, but a starter is not something we need. Unless we flipped another starter for something more important; but that'd still be 6 starters. And what would we be flipping for??

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jul 4, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)

Hmmm...that would be interesting. So we trade say Quentin for Beachy, and then maybe flip Danks/Floyd to the Yankees for some minor league pieces, maybe even a package around Danks for Montero.

Peavy-Buehrle-Danks/Floyd-Humber-Jackson-Beachy

Pierre

Morel

Konerko

Viciedo

Alexei

AJ

Dunn

Rios

Beckham

I would be very satisfied w/ that team, especially when you assume we would get some decent prospects in return for Floyd, and especially Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 01:48 AM)
Viciedo hitting 4th? The White Sox taking on Derek Lowe's contract? HUH?

Pierre

Beckham

Konerko

Dunn

Ramirez

AJ

Viciedo

Rios

Morel

Until Dunn puts together a solid week, I won't be sold he has figured anything out. And with the way Viciedo is tearing up AAA, and in his brief time in the MLB last year, I think he could certainly be a #4-#5 type guy on a team with only 1 legit power hitter (Konerko).

EDIT: Also, it seems you are looking at your lineup as "if everyone plays like they should", because there is no way Beckham deserves the 2-hole spot, or Dunn the 4th spot yet.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I want changes as much as the next guy, but why not trade them Dunn and/or Rios? Rios needs a change of scenery again and Atlanta might bite if we paid a lot of the salary.

CQ may finally be figuring it out this season. He's definitely improved his defense. Many people on this board wanted to DFA him last year for his bad defense or at least send him down. He's gotten pretty good.

The Sox should be trying to do everything in their power to deal Rios/Dunn/Pierre, not CQ.

Not for a pitcher.

I feel strongly it'd be dumb to trade one of the only productive hitters in our lineup the first half for a pitcher.

I mean why would we trade offense?? We gots no offense to speak of!

Wouldn't some of you be pissed to see us trade CQ for a f***ing pitcher??

The idea is to add Dayan's bat to supplement our good hitters. That means dumping Juan for a prospect. We don't want to dump a good hitter to replace him with a good hitter (Dayan). To improve to where we might be a division contender, we need to add Dayan and drop Juan.

Then you got Dayan, Rios (yuk) and CQ in the outfield! Potentially you ADD to the lineup this way.

Edited by greg775

I agree, Gregster.

What this team really needs is one more bullpen pitcher (RH), but that's going to come at a steep price. Not worth Viciedo when Bruney and Pena might be able to get the job done. We also have the likes of Infante and Reed to draw from the minors.

In reality, the only place you see them making a move is with Morel, simply because he's a rookie and Ozzie doesn't trust rookies in a pennant race.

They wouldn't trade him, probably just put him back in AAA and bring in a one-and-done veteran in the Scott Rolen mode (no, I don't want Rolen in particular, just throwing out a name).

Trading Quentin's more proven bat for Viciedo is just a recipe for it to blow up in KW's face again. No thanks to that move.

We should be improving our offense, not subtracting from it (potentially).

The only way it makes sense is if KW's thinking 2-3 moves ahead and he's got a move in mind to bring in someone like Montero (future franchise player) and another veteran (3B or bullpen) who can help RIGHT NOW (assuming they had 7 starting pitchers).

But trading Danks/Jackson/Floyd in the middle of the season's obviously a dangerous move. I wouldn't put it past KW, but going cheap with B. Beach and having an extra starter to count on for next year to go along with Sale wouldn't be horrible. It still doesn't exactly go with the "All In" theme and it's hard to imagine them not milking Jackson for everything he's worth the next 3 months. In that scenario, Floyd might be the odd man out...depends, most teams would obviously prefer Danks but the costs for both would be pretty steep.

The DBacks would probably offer Holmberg for Quentin back, haha.

Seeing the Cafardo article, I could see the sox doing a Beachy trade involving Quentin. It would solve the problem of where to put Viciedo. It would also allow the Sox to trade Edwin Jackson for solid position player prospects, [the best package the sox can get for Edwin, as he does have value for a team looking for SP] rather than take draft picks for him after 2011 by offering him arb. [it's a risk to even offer him arb though, one that the Sox have to take, potentially losing Hudson for nothing].

At worst, Beachy would provide immediate RH bullpen help, and slide into the rotation next year, as he started in the bullpen this year in AA and in the past http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp?P=Brandon-Beachey .

Everyone would love to trade a Rios, Pierre, Dunn when they're playing poorly. But the sox are stuck with some big contracts and need young position player prospects to challenge for spots. Quentin is having a good year. Yet he's only got a 1-1/2 years left with the sox before he walks away for nothing. The sox will be on the hook for $7, 8 mill for 2012, and a bad 2012 and the sox won't offer him arb.

The sox have few position player prospects now in the upper minors besides Viciedo. A trade that could net the sox one or two sure things, without weakening the sox overall [Viciedo should be able to match Carlos' AVG and SLg, certainly not his OBP, and a Beachy replacing Jackson in the rotation should be a wash], and that offers them payroll relief to acquire a Pierre replacement for the OF and to hit near the top of the order--prob. in the offseason, not now, wouldn't be all bad.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It's worth noting that Steve Stone floated the idea of trading CQ to Atlanta on the Score just now. Such a trade doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense IMO but Steve Stone doesn't just say things to say them.

Wow. There must be something behind the scenes we don't know about.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It's worth noting that Steve Stone floated the idea of trading CQ to Atlanta on the Score just now. Such a trade doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense IMO but Steve Stone doesn't just say things to say them.

I would have no problem trading Q, especially while he is basking in his all-star status. Trading him for a starting pitcher would be interesting, however, and would clearly point to us moving another of our own starters to the Yankees, as was pointed out above.

I would be much more excited, however, were we to be known to be scouting Gwinnett, as opposed to the big league club.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)

Yeah, it's called Kenny being restless. You know he is dying to get Viciedo out of Charlotte and he knows now it won't be at the expense of Pierre.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:26 AM)
Yeah, it's called Kenny being restless. You know he is dying to get Viciedo out of Charlotte and he knows now it won't be at the expense of Pierre.

I don't think it is something that simple. Carlos doesn't make any sense to deal if you believe you are in a pennant race unless there is something really wrong. Dealing your second best hitter, especially for a pitcher, when your offense has been awful? It doesn't pass the smell test. If Kenny really wanted to open a spot for Dayan, he would find someone to dump Pierre on, and pick up most of his salary the rest of this year. If he is looking to deal Q it means he is looking for an insane amount of money on an extension, having issues in the clubhouse, really worried about an injury problem, or something worse that none of us have heard about (and in this day and age, speculation would always begin there with juicing or worse).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)

This sounds like a similar situation that we tried last year - trade for Jackson with the hope to flip him for Dunn. The way I see this working out, they are shopping Jackson to teams for good prospects or immediate help, and then looking to move Q for Beachy or Lowe to replace Jackson. It sounds like we might be doing a similar thing as last year - get the replacement deal done before we get the first deal done.

Quentin for Beachy and Scott Proctor makes some sense.

IF IF IF there's a second or third move involved with the created glut of starting pitching.

Still don't think it's happening.

And swapping out Quentin for Viciedo doesn't in any likelihood improve our offense...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
I don't think it is something that simple. Carlos doesn't make any sense to deal if you believe you are in a pennant race unless there is something really wrong. Dealing your second best hitter, especially for a pitcher, when your offense has been awful? It doesn't pass the smell test. If Kenny really wanted to open a spot for Dayan, he would find someone to dump Pierre on, and pick up most of his salary the rest of this year. If he is looking to deal Q it means he is looking for an insane amount of money on an extension, having issues in the clubhouse, really worried about an injury problem, or something worse that none of us have heard about (and in this day and age, speculation would always begin there with juicing or worse).

Or maybe Quentin is his only tradable assett and he has a ton of faith in Viciedo. He could certainly dump Pierre if he really wanted to, but you know Ozzie is not going to let that happen.

Agreed that it would be incredibly risky, but we've seen this inconsistency play out with Quentin before and maybe he's just trying to get top dollar for him.

Again, agreed that it would be very un-Kenny-ish and extremely risky, but if Kenny has his eye on doing something with Cashman, this would probably be one of the ways to do it, while getting Viciedo out of Charlotte and on to the big league club, where Kenny has said he is confident Viciedo is ready to be on several occasions now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Again, agreed that it would be very un-Kenny-ish and extremely risky, but if Kenny has his eye on doing something with Cashman, this would probably be one of the ways to do it, while getting Viciedo out of Charlotte and on to the big league club, where Kenny has said he is confident Viciedo is ready to be on several occasions now.

Extremely risky sounds very Kenny-ish

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Or maybe Quentin is his only tradable assett and he has a ton of faith in Viciedo. He could certainly dump Pierre if he really wanted to, but you know Ozzie is not going to let that happen.

Agreed that it would be incredibly risky, but we've seen this inconsistency play out with Quentin before and maybe he's just trying to get top dollar for him.

Weakening your weakest spot on the team (offense) for something you don't need at all right now (starting pitching) makes no sense at all on the surface. Right now at best, Dayan would give you what Carlos did. Odds are with growing pains and his defense, you aren't even going to get that much.

By itself, a swap of Viciedo for Quentin won't improve the sox offense. But the sox aren't doing anything without Dunn, Rios, Pierre and Beckham swinging better in the 2nd half anyway. If Carlos can net the right pieces, it might be a neutral trade now, but a net gain in the long run. Interesting that Carlos is hitting now at about his career avgs in AVG, OBP and SLG.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
Weakening your weakest spot on the team (offense) for something you don't need at all right now (starting pitching) makes no sense at all on the surface. Right now at best, Dayan would give you what Carlos did. Odds are with growing pains and his defense, you aren't even going to get that much.

I agree...I'm just looking at the same thing you are....figuring Q is setting himself up for a payday we can't afford, we have Viciedo ready to come up, a manager in love with Pierre, Rios is not tradable...Quentin is basically the only guy that can be moved to make room for Viciedo...

I can't see even Kenny having the stones to do this just to get value for Quentin and to capitalize on the strong pitching market, but you can't put it past him either.

Edited by iamshack