Jeter gets #3,000 on a HR

knightni

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the HOFers that have played in NY, its amazing Jeter is the first with 3000 hits. He never had the greatest range in the world, but if you ever needed a big hit or a big play made, he seemingly came through as much as anyone on the hugest of stages. Truly a great ballplayer.

Damnit, I was REALLY hoping he would hit it on the road, or that he would get it on a scorer's change, so it would ruin the moment.

The saddest thing of all is that once Thome hit's 600, its only going to get a 1 minute segment on SportsCenter, and there is not going to be a mobbing at the plate with the game being delayed 3 minutes for all the festivities and hugs all around. He will just trot the bases, and go back to the dugout after he tips his cap.

I'll never understand the hate for Jeter. And Joe, you're really complaining that the man with 5 rings from New York is getting more attention than someone who's never won a World Series and hit 600 home runs in the steroid era?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
I'll never understand the hate for Jeter. And Joe, you're really complaining that the man with 5 rings from New York is getting more attention than someone who's never won a World Series and hit 600 home runs in the steroid era?

600 home runs is 600 home runs. Although it's not what it used to be, sadly.

Amazing. And I'll bet every one of them was clean. (before anyone else brings it up) Congrats to the future hall of famer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
I'll never understand the hate for Jeter.

Ditto, though I'm jealous that he got to bang so many beautiful Hollywood woman.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
Amazing. And I'll bet every one of them was clean. (before anyone else brings it up) Congrats to the future hall of famer.

Ditto, though I'm jealous that he got to bang so many beautiful Hollywood woman.

Ask Jessica Alba how awesome it was. He left her a gift that keeps on giving.

It's not necessarily his fault people hate him. One peek at ESPN this week and you'll see why people dislike Derek Jeter. Maybe not as a person, but they just hate the idea of him.

He's one of the most overrated players in the history of the game or at least of this era. Once again, not his fault, just the media's and the people who think of him as a god.

Oh, so because Thome never played on a powerhouse team that buys championships, then his feat isn't as big of a deal, even though 4x as many people have reached 3000 hits than have reached 600 homeruns? And the fact that he did it CLEAN in the steroid era makes it even more impressive.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
It's not necessarily his fault people hate him. One peek at ESPN this week and you'll see why people dislike Derek Jeter. Maybe not as a person, but they just hate the idea of him.

He's one of the most overrated players in the history of the game or at least of this era. Once again, not his fault, just the media's and the people who think of him as a god.

Yeah, I don't question his character or actual person.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
He has played on the team with the most distractions. And I was very surprised that he is the first to accomplish it while wearing a Yankee uniform.

If there's one thing that Jeter does better than anybody else, it's being able to handle those distractions and hit like he always does no matter what the situation is.

Jeter's not really clutch, he just doesn't choke (most of the time). His postseason and regular season numbers match up pretty well.

Wouldn't Jeter refusing the ball back be similar to the fan offering him the ball?

I really don't think there would have been a wrong choice for the fan. Whether if he wanted to sell it; if he wanted to keep it on his mantle (would you have to pay taxes on the ball?); or if he wanted to give it back to Jeter; I don't think anyone should object to any of those.

Now, if he was a Red Sox fan and decided to burn the ball, that might not fly with the public.

Me, personally, I'd give the ball back to Jeter and be happy without getting a penny in return. Whether you hate him or love, there is no denying that he epitomizes what a baseball player should be like, and to me as a fan growing up and watching him, he deserves to have this ball sitting on his mantle and eventually passing it down to his children (if he decides to ever have any).

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
Did it with style. But screw him. He' a dick and a selfish player. ARod was a better SS

This makes no sense.

Jeter has always been a team first player, never proved to be a distraction to the team, and has the 5 rings and clutch moments to back it up.

Rodriguez, on the other hand has provided several distractions throughout his career, especially with the Yankees, and I have no respect for any man who cheats on his wife and their two children, especially with a stripper, or even worse, Madonna.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)
This makes no sense.

Jeter has always been a team first player, never proved to be a distraction to the team, and has the 5 rings and clutch moments to back it up.

Rodriguez, on the other hand has provided several distractions throughout his career, especially with the Yankees, and I have no respect for any man who cheats on his wife and their two children, especially with a stripper, or even worse, Madonna.

I bet you almost every athlete cheats on their wife, only reason Jeter hasn't is because he never got married as far as I know. Jeter is a good player but on any other team he would prob be a fringe HoF and a 2B but since his career was with the Yankees it gave him the chance to be what he is and props to him for it.