Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
5.5 games in 5 weeks... when the Sox have 6 games against them, a whole bunch against mediocre or worse teams... after Wednesday they are done with all the big teams in the other divisions (NYY, BOS, LAA, TEX)... and DET has shown all year they aren't consistent or that good, except for Verlander and Valverde. This is far from over.

It's not over because we're 5.5 out, it's over because we are not good.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
It's not over because we're 5.5 out, it's over because we are not good.

We are in a deep hole because we were bad in the early season, really bad. This team has the 4th best record in the league since May 7th, and they've won what, like 11 of the last 16? And I'll take our pitching over DET's any day.

People seem to assume that Detroit will keep winning. They really aren't some juggernaut. Obviously, if DET contiues to play .700 baseball like the have the past week or two, the Sox have no chance. But I just don't see that happening.

I'm not saying the Sox WILL win the division, I think their chances are like 10-20%. But they sure as heck aren't zero.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
We are in a deep hole because we were bad in the early season, really bad. This team has the 4th best record in the league since May 7th, and they've won what, like 11 of the last 16? And I'll take our pitching over DET's any day.

People seem to assume that Detroit will keep winning. They really aren't some juggernaut. Obviously, if DET contiues to play .700 baseball like the have the past week or two, the Sox have no chance. But I just don't see that happening.

I'm not saying the Sox WILL win the division, I think their chances are like 10-20%. But they sure as heck aren't zero.

Well I'm certainly not going to make the mistake of saying that something has a 0 percent chance of happening...again but ya, it's not happening.

The fact they've never won the AL Central...

However, we're not the Twins chasing them down. And this is a different Verlander than we've ever seen, a juggernaut.

Sure, we've had good luck against him (this year), but can we expect that to last?

Perhaps the greatest argument is that Jose Valverde has been pitching with smoke and mirrors all season and is due to implode.

But the odds of the White Sox exploding over .500 are a LOT less than the Tigers collapsing. How much they can fall back....to 5-6 games over .500, that's probably what it would take. We're incredibly unlikely to go 24-12, 23-13, even 22-14.

You just can't trust Peavy or Humber at all, and Stewart's a wild card from appearance to appearance.

Edited by caulfield12

But the near certainty of winning every single Verlander start mitigates any possible advantage the White Sox might have in depth at the back of the rotation.

If we had a starter pitching like that, it would be more realistic to imagine them going on this huge run or streak.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)

I like their chance of beating the Twins and the Royals over the Sox chances of doing the same thing. Cleveland is going to play the spoiler for one of the teams.

Amazing...well, even the White Sox have come from behind to beat League. But 15 times in a single season at home? And an actual earthquake in CLE to boot?

So much for that 5-4 Mariners ninth inning lead.

Choo, who nearly missed the game following the birth of his daughter, hit the first pitch from Mariners closer Brandon League(notes) (1-5) over the wall in left, helping the Indians end a four-game losing streak and avoid falling further behind first-place Detroit in the AL Central.

Choo was mobbed at home plate by his teammates, a fitting welcome for the versatile outfielder who has had a rough season on and off the field.

“As I rounded the bases, a lot of things were going through my mind,” said Choo, whose wife gave birth to 7-pound Abigail on Monday. “I thought about my family, my wife, my newborn daughter. I’m not an emotional person, but it was a great feeling.”

Chris Perez(notes) (3-6) got the win despite giving up a two-run double in the ninth to put the Mariners up 5-4.

If not for Choo’s heroics—Cleveland’s sixth walk-off homer and 15th win in its last at-bat at home this season—the Indians were in danger of dropping below .500 for the first time since April 3 and effectively kissing what has been an unexpected season of thrills goodbye.

Cleveland’s hanging on.

Edited by caulfield12

According to BP (I know) the Sox playoff odds are currently at 13.1. Steep, but not hopeless. The Tribe, who we are now tied with, are at only 3.5.

I have to think the Sox odds go up swapping Thome in for Dunn, but that's probably more unlikely to happen than winning the division.

And somebody please help me with J4L's photo reference, which I don't get at all. The kid looks like a young MJ to me.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
According to BP (I know) the Sox playoff odds are currently at 13.1. Steep, but not hopeless. The Tribe, who we are now tied with, are at only 3.5.

I have to think the Sox odds go up swapping Thome in for Dunn, but that's probably more unlikely to happen than winning the division.

And somebody please help me with J4L's photo reference, which I don't get at all. The kid looks like a young MJ to me.

Ever see "Angels in the Outfield"? That's the "it could happen" kid.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
I just have no idea how people can still believe in this team but hell, more power to you.

I don't believe, but I do. Right now, I see a team that is 11-5 in their last 16. I also see a team that is 11-11 in their last 22. I see a team that was once 11 games under .500 climb their way back to .500 on several occasions. I also see a team that was their furthest over .500 on April 12th when they were 3 games over .500. I think of the 2007 Rockies who were 64-63 on August 23rd, only to get hotter than hell and win 26 of their next 36 on their way to a World Series appearance. I also think of the 2007 Brewers, who were 65-63 on August 24th, 1.5 games behind the Cubs, only to see them stay right around .500 for the rest of the year and finish 2 games back of the Cubs in a weak division.

I could lament on this all night. What I do know is that there are still 6 games left against Detroit. That is enough head to head matchups that something could happen. I don't think it will, but it could. They have me just interested enough right now to care.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...home-again.html

Yeah its Cowley...but the "source" in the article says we are putting a claim in for Thome.

Wait, what?

Manager Ozzie Guillen would love to have Thome back, although finding room could be an issue. And Thome hasn’t been consistently healthy this season.

Well if that's the case, then the Sox will win the claim. This is the same thing as Manny last year. Several teams interested, but the Sox are the worst of the group that could be in on claiming him. Now it's a matter of whether the Twins will let him go, and I imagine they'll ask Thome, so really, it's up to him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
So much would be wrong with putting in a claim on Thome right now. It would be very disappointing to see. We'll be 8 games out probably by the time he could even put on a Sox jersey, and it would just take time away from Viciedo or Flowers.

I didnt realize Thome switched to catcher