Ozzie Guillen Released from Contract

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Correct, Thorton was.. and failed

Then Sale was.. and failed

Now Santos is.. and is failing

Any GM wouldn't have let Putz go, Boston tried the Closer by committee.. how well did that work out for them?

So you would have given JJ Putz a multiyear contract?

And Chris Sale has never been the closer. That just isn't true.

Sorry, this has already been posted probably....just found out about it here in China....who were the two minor leaguers we acquired? that will be announced at the end of the season?

At the time of the talks with Florida, the Marlins didn’t feel like they needed to give up talent for Guillen, especially with a new ballpark under construction that wasn’t opening until 2012. Things have changed, obviously. Guillen and Williams have stayed politically correct in addressing the media about each other the last few weeks, but more for Reinsdorf’s sake than the truth.

According to a source, Reinsdorf has told Williams to stay low-key in the media and avoid members of the staff.

“It’s probably better for Kenny’s health that he does that,” the source said.

Guillen made it seem like the split had to do with money and security of getting a contract extension beyond 2012, insisting, “F--- more years. I want more money. I don’t work here for years. No, I want more money. Years, what, I’m going to die poor with the White Sox? Hell, no. Listen, this is my job. It’s the only thing I can do. I have to make money out of somewhere. I’m not a doctor or a lawyer, where you’ll have a job for the rest of your life.

“Life is about money. People don’t believe that. People are happy after they make money, f--- it.”

While the extension Guillen sought did play a part, what was on the surface of all of this was ego. More specifically, Guillen has one and Williams grew jealous of it.

This split was more about Guillen and Williams wanting Reinsdorf — whom they each consider a father figure — to pick a favorite.

The Sun-Times learned two weeks ago that Reinsdorf did, telling Williams he would be back for next season. It was last June that Reinsdorf was adamant in saying that, “you can’t make a general manager have a manager he doesn’t want.”

The writing was on the wall.

As far as what’s next for the Sox. Forget Tony La Russa, as one source already said he wasn’t interested in managing with Williams as GM. That leaves the likes of a Buddy Bell, Class AAA Charlotte manager Joe McEwing or former Sox catcher Sandy Alomar Jr.

As for Guillen, he told his players before the game that it would be his last night, and was expected to fly to Miami early in the morning.

That didn’t mean he wasn’t leaving without some classic Guillenisms.

“Eight years in the big leagues, doing a pretty good job, I think,’’ Guillen said. “Better than bad. It is what it is. I might sound arrogant, I might sound cocky, I might sound like, ‘Who the freak do you think you are?’ People think whatever they want to think about me and that particular thing. But there’s one thing about it, out of anybody out there, nobody is going to put money in the bank to take care of my kids or my grandkids the rest of my life. As soon as you’re out of here, people forget about who you are.’’

suntimes.com/sports