2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

The most interesting ones to me are Medlen and Surkamp. If you could find 2 2.5-3WAR pitchers out of that group then your rotation becomes inexpensive enough to sign/trade for 1 or 2 studs to head the rotation. I see no problem with stocking up with #3-#5 starter prospects. If you get 4 of them and 2 of them pan out as starters then I think you've made progress. The challenge will be finding your #1 and #2 starters.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
If there was any worry out there...

VizquelOmar13 Omar Vizquel

No I won't RT @Kmart0307: @VizquelOmar13 Omar! Are you coming back to the #WhiteSox next season?! I think you should!

Believe it RT @baseballpat54: @VizquelOmar13 do you plan on playing baseball next season?

How long before the Marlins sign him?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Why even start the baseball season? Let's go straight to October 2012

You're right, because it's totally irrelevant to project and have some sort of idea how good the team we are cheering for should be this year. Let's just go in blindfolded and assume we're going to win 100 games.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
The most interesting ones to me are Medlen and Surkamp. If you could find 2 2.5-3WAR pitchers out of that group then your rotation becomes inexpensive enough to sign/trade for 1 or 2 studs to head the rotation. I see no problem with stocking up with #3-#5 starter prospects. If you get 4 of them and 2 of them pan out as starters then I think you've made progress. The challenge will be finding your #1 and #2 starters.

Already tried that with Peavy.

They're obviously gambling that BOTH Sale and Molina can be 1-2-3 caliber starters. From just a brief glimpse, still going to predict that Santiago's the dark-horse to compete legitimately for a spot in the rotation...prefer to hope he can be Johan Santana-Lite rather than another Arnie Munoz, Mike Porzio or Josh Stewart.

If neither of those guys makes it, and Stewart is merely a 5 or long man in the bullpen, this team is set back another 12-18 months at least (unless some minor miracle occurs and Dunn/Peavy/Rios become tradeable again).

Even with the freed up payroll space, there's going to have to be a lot more due diligence before KW acquires any big-time salary through trade or free agency.

There are a lot of risks involved with rebuilding. If players don't work out, then teams are going to be set back 12-18 months any way so Williams may as well take his shot at it because there's real attractive alternative. He was right in 2008, but hasn't really come close since. We'll see if he's right again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
There are a lot of risks involved with rebuilding. If players don't work out, then teams are going to be set back 12-18 months any way so Williams may as well take his shot at it because there's real attractive alternative. He was right in 2008, but hasn't really come close since. We'll see if he's right again.

Clearly there are just as many risks at going "all in"...except the recovery process from this could take 3+ years because that's how long Dunn and Rios are stuck here for.

Yeah, 73-75 wins would be much more likely, based on what we saw last year out of Beckham and Axis of Evil...and how Humber faded down the stretch as well.

Not to mention the likelihood that the bullpen won't settle down into their roles until halfway through the season, and Ohman will quickly get overexposed if you trade Thornton.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
You're right, because it's totally irrelevant to project and have some sort of idea how good the team we are cheering for should be this year. Let's just go in blindfolded and assume we're going to win 100 games.

Maybe we are just blind to assume anything. I for one don't believe in these projections especially when they make them for 2012 season and it's December for crying out loud. Now if you ASSUME anything please do not include ME in it :)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Yeah, 73-75 wins would be much more likely, based on what we saw last year out of Beckham and Axis of Evil...and how Humber faded down the stretch as well.

Not to mention the likelihood that the bullpen won't settle down into their roles until halfway through the season, and Ohman will quickly get overexposed if you trade Thornton.

The wins would be in the low 80's. There is no way Dunn will be as bad as last year. Sale will do well in the rotation. Peavy will be decent after a year of strengthening. They would be better but not great. I hope there are many more moves to come.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
If there was any worry out there...

No I won't RT @Kmart0307: @VizquelOmar13 Omar! Are you coming back to the #WhiteSox next season?! I think you should!

Believe it RT @baseballpat54: @VizquelOmar13 do you plan on playing baseball next season?

Omar was slamming the White Sox for treating him like an old man last season and not playing him. He may go to Miami to be with Ozzie. Didn't Ozzie say he made the f***ing line ups?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
The wins would be in the low 80's. There is no way Dunn will be as bad as last year. Sale will do well in the rotation. Peavy will be decent after a year of strengthening. They would be better but not great. I hope there are many more moves to come.

As the roster stands, as now, maybe!

But that rotation might be in shambles without Floyd and/or Danks.

That's assuming Peavy can stay healthy, Sale can get past the 5th inning in less than 100 pitches, Humber is at least serviceable and Stewart doesn't start to remind of us of Felix Diaz/Sean Tracey/Jon Adkins.

Outside of the Tigers, though, they should be competitive with every team in the division, at worst.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)

Nice, I like that nickname

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
Omar was slamming the White Sox for treating him like an old man last season and not playing him. He may go to Miami to be with Ozzie. Didn't Ozzie say he made the f***ing line ups?

Well with Reyes down there, he can count on at least a months worth of playing tim e.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Yonder Alonso is off the market, headed to San Diego as part of a package for Latos.

@TroyRenck

Troy Renck, Rockies

Told by source that edinson Volquez going in trade to padres

5 minutes ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply

If you keep waiting all you're going to do it shoot yourself in the foot, danks and floyd lose interest as each team fills a need. There's a lot of pitching out there. Garza, gio, your two pitchers, jackson, oswalt. Red sox, yankees, rangers and nats looking for pitching and the marlins but let's face it there farm system couldnt even get them guthrie.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
The Reds acquiring a pitcher that wasn't thought to be on the market throws somewhat of a wrench in the Sox plans. With each deal like this that happens, I think it becomes more likely that the Sox will deal Ramirez. The Hanley Ramirez situation even makes that tough.

It's possible. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if the Sox aren't liking the returns for other options they could certainly make a splash by moving Alexei. It would help if they had at least a somewhat decent SS prospect to fill in. Eduardo could do the job defensively, but that's about it.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Wow

Padres get: Volqez, Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger.

i know hindsight is 20/20, but this is why i dislike peeps being opposed to dealing an asset simply because you have that asset under control for many year. its not a good comparison, but seeing this package makes me wonder what we couldve gotten for danks last offseason or two offseasons ago. that is a crazy great package. hoyer and byrnes are building quite a nice little squad in SD. i think Grandal is going to be amazing, my jealousy knows no bounds on this one. i was hoping for grandal more than anything this offseason