White Sox Bench Coach Search Thread

klaus kinski

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is Lamont will be the bench coach. I also think McEwing will get the 3rd base coach job and Manto will get the hitting coach job. I'd prefer Laker be the hitting coach, since he's familiar with the young guys, but the Tribune hinted more towards Manto. I wonder if he speaks Spanish, because we're going to need someone to help with the Cubans and other Latin players.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
My guess is Lamont will be the bench coach. I also think McEwing will get the 3rd base coach job and Manto will get the hitting coach job. I'd prefer Laker be the hitting coach, since he's familiar with the young guys, but the Tribune hinted more towards Manto. I wonder if he speaks Spanish, because we're going to need someone to help with the Cubans and other Latin players.

Is Gene Lamont done in Detroit? Laker might be the hitting coach, but I would really think Robin Ventura gets someone he wants as coach. Harold baines is staying and he and Ventura played together so former Sox players might be in the mix. After the total surprise with Ventura picked as manager I wonder what new and exciting things await in the coaches decision?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)

From what I read, Lamont seemed surprised by the hire, although suppoprtive of Robin as a person. His comments were those of a "you have to pay your dues first," old schooler. I really can't see him leaving Leyland after all these years to come back here to tutor Robin.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
How long til JR says.... "why are we looking outside for a bench coach when we have Buddy Bell?"

No go on Buddy Bell. They said they need to seek permission which wouldn't be the case for Bell. Also he said he didn't want the manger position because of all the travel so why would he agree to be the bench coach for less money/power with the same travel.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
It is said that the entire coaching staff will be introduced on Tuesday... meaning, they'll announce a hitting and bench coach by then.

bozzie's hearing loyal ol' Jerry's leaning toward Ivan Calderon . . .

. . . hopefully someone tells him soon that Calderon's dead . . .

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
bob nightengale suggested Paul Molitor

I like the idea of Molitor, 3 years as Tom Kelly's bench coach. Brenly's another good one, dude knows the damn game and comes with plenty of experience. My guess is still Riggs, it makes a ton of sense.