White Sox Bench Coach Search Thread

klaus kinski

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
He said the coaches would be someone he could trust, hinted that they'll be younger guys. I'm thinking someone that he played with who has AL ties. Wild guess Wakamatsu, Toronto's bench coach. Pena also a good guess

I think they stay with former organizational guys. They are building that team heritage stuff

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
You'd think ONE of them might be a guy who Ventura's familiar with from the last 7-8 years living in SoCal.

Someone from the Angels, Dodgers, Padres...just a guess.

F

From all the interviews, it doesn't seem like Robin is really involved in choosing coaches.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
F

From all the interviews, it doesn't seem like Robin is really involved in choosing coaches.

He should have at least ONE guy he's VERY (personally) comfortable working with...like Maddon has Martinez.

Obviously, he's probably on good terms with Harold and Cooper, but is that enough?

Think if you were named to run a company, wouldn't you bring at least one close and trusted advisor with you instead of letting all of the terms and conditions of your staff be dictated by that future employer?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
He should have at least ONE guy he's VERY (personally) comfortable working with...like Maddon has Martinez.

Obviously, he's probably on good terms with Harold and Cooper, but is that enough?

Think if you were named to run a company, wouldn't you bring at least one close and trusted advisor with you instead of letting all of the terms and conditions of your staff be dictated by that future employer?

The close trusted advisors he's worked with the last 5 years manage high school.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
The close trusted advisors he's worked with the last 5 years manage high school.

So you're going to be like Greg backing Ozzie...in terms of now being stuck in the "firmly set in your belief in the unlikelihood of Ventura succeeding" camp for the next 2 seasons?

UGH.

The White Sox have done some HORRIBLE things since I've been following the team in the early 1980's.

Despite all of these, I've never wavered in my "fandom" or questioned my choice of favorite team...nor drank myself into a stupor as a result of aforementioned decisions/moves.

I hope you can start to look on the bright side and find a few things to be optimistic about (like the bench coach or new hitting coach) or it's going to be a LONG 2-3 years for all of us (picking on JR, pleading for him to sell the team or worse...KW...and eventually Robin).

Edited by caulfield12

Lets not get histrionic. I think he is just saying Robin doesn't have the coaching background to build "trusted advisors". He might have some old players he respects but as far as people he knows he can work with in this setting, there aren't really any.

It's a crapshoot anyways, lets all go get loaded. More fun that way - look at the Brewers.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Lets not get histrionic. I think he is just saying Robin doesn't have the coaching background to build "trusted advisors". He might have some old players he respects but as far as people he knows he can work with in this setting, there aren't really any.

It's a crapshoot anyways, lets all go get loaded. More fun that way - look at the Brewers.

Fair enough...just thought he was being a bit too cynical before the guy's even gone through a spring training (another weakness for the Guillen regime, which was fundamentals/execution/bunting/throwing to the correct bases, etc., it seemed Ozzie never cared at all about winning or losing in ST and it seemed over time to have an effect on how we started in April).

I guess he'll (Robin) have to earn our faith over time. Some will take it on faith, and some will be doubting Thomases. Neither stance is empirically right or wrong, obviously.

At this point, I give him (Ventura) credit for being loyal to JR and the Sox family and stepping into the breach. You know he'll do the job to the best of his ability, and always remain dignified and professional.

And there will always be a second-guessing crowd you will use it as one more nail in KW's (and by extension, JR's) coffin.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Fair enough...just thought he was being a bit too cynical before the guy's even gone through a spring training (another weakness for the Guillen regime, which was fundamentals/execution/bunting/throwing to the correct bases, etc., it seemed Ozzie never cared at all about winning or losing in ST and it seemed over time to have an effect on how we started in April).

I guess he'll (Robin) have to earn our faith over time. Some will take it on faith, and some will be doubting Thomases. Neither stance is empirically right or wrong, obviously.

At this point, I give him (Ventura) credit for being loyal to JR and the Sox family and stepping into the breach. You know he'll do the job to the best of his ability, and always remain dignified and professional.

And there will always be a second-guessing crowd you will use it as one more nail in KW's (and by extension, JR's) coffin.

I wouldn't paint that all on Ozzie. That's an organization, scouting thing. I consider it a KW trademark.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
My guess is Lamont will be the bench coach. I also think McEwing will get the 3rd base coach job and Manto will get the hitting coach job. I'd prefer Laker be the hitting coach, since he's familiar with the young guys, but the Tribune hinted more towards Manto. I wonder if he speaks Spanish, because we're going to need someone to help with the Cubans and other Latin players.

That would be neat if Sandberg joined the staff.

If anything he might be a good luck charm.

Hasn't his last couple minor league teams both won the divisions they are in?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
Seriously? With a manager that has no experience at all, we'd hire a bench coach that has no major league coaching history? That's about right.

Ugh. This is Chicago, right? Not some small market like KC?