2012 Video Game Thread

knightni

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
I'll probably grab one with my tax return. I'm a Nintendo whore.

same.

All of the reviews I have read, they are very intrigued by the gamepad integration. Im just kind of waiting for the launch bugs to get worked out, there is a firmware update immediately after you plug it in.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
There are far too many Nintendo fans for that to be true. It may not be a huge success, but it won't flop.

As long as they have Mario, Zelda, metroid in their back pocket, Nintendo will continue to play as long as they want. People keep predicting flops, they keep on selling product.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
As long as they have Mario, Zelda, metroid in their back pocket, Nintendo will continue to play as long as they want. People keep predicting flops, they keep on selling product.

The exact reason I got one on launch day. I'd have to buy one eventually to play those 1st party games, so I figured I'd get one now. I do think there is a pretty big base of Nintendo gamers that will always support the company, but Nintendo is not flop proof IMO.

The GamePad is pretty cool, but I want to see some truly unique experiences with it and that's going to have to come from Nintendo. 3rd parties are just going to port the s*** out of the system by adding touch screen gimmicks. Nintendo needs a Mario/Zelda/Metroid that does something incredible by next Christmas or the system is going to lose steam fast, especially with new consoles from Microsoft & Sony around the corner.

What really scares me though is that it took Nintendo basically the life of the Wii system to create a game that could really showcase the potential of motion gaming (Skyward Sword), so god only knows how long before we see that killer app for the Wii U. Also, without a Wii Sports like title that caters to casual gamers, which Nintendoland won't do well enough IMO, Nintendo will lose a big chunk of their current market share.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
The exact reason I got one on launch day. I'd have to buy one eventually to play those 1st party games, so I figured I'd get one now. I do think there is a pretty big base of Nintendo gamers that will always support the company, but Nintendo is not flop proof IMO.

The GamePad is pretty cool, but I want to see some truly unique experiences with it and that's going to have to come from Nintendo. 3rd parties are just going to port the s*** out of the system by adding touch screen gimmicks. Nintendo needs a Mario/Zelda/Metroid that does something incredible by next Christmas or the system is going to lose steam fast, especially with new consoles from Microsoft & Sony around the corner.

What really scares me though is that it took Nintendo basically the life of the Wii system to create a game that could really showcase the potential of motion gaming (Skyward Sword), so god only knows how long before we see that killer app for the Wii U. Also, without a Wii Sports like title that caters to casual gamers, which Nintendoland won't do well enough IMO, Nintendo will lose a big chunk of their current market share.

I'm really looking forward to pikmin and Zelda, plus whatever Mario solo title they come out with. I loved galaxy 1 and 2

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)

Even with the ports, something like what ACIII did on Wii U, which is have the map on your gamepad, is very slick. I'm always pausing to see where I am and where I need to go in open world games. To constantly have that screen available is nice.

I'm not interested in the first party games, but with any console the developers take a couple years and tries to figure out how to maximize the hardware. They'll figure it out.

My concern is that the Wii U is merely a slicker version of the current systems. When the next gen Xbox and Playstations come out the Wii U won't be able to run the same caliber of games. So, as usual, only buy a Nintento console if you're interested in the first party games. There's plenty of people that fit that though.

Also, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is surprisingly fun. It feels like an in between Super Smash Bros and a normal fighting game like Mortal Kombat. You definitely want to do combos and the fact that the only way to get kills is the super attacks adds some strategy.

The level 3s are basically instakills, but you need to wait for it instead of using something like a level one or two which get the same result, but you need to aim and locate yourself properly.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 22, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
So...Best Buy has some great Black Friday deals going all weekend for video games. Highlighted by Assassins Creed III for $35

Best Buy 3-Day Sale

Holy s***, this PS Move bundle for $40. Comes with LBP 2 and a "nunchuck" controller. That's a real good deal, just for the LBP2 game alone.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Holy s***, this PS Move bundle for $40. Comes with LBP 2 and a "nunchuck" controller. That's a real good deal, just for the LBP2 game alone.

PS Move is sadly an amazing controller. Just very, very few good games utilize it well.

Killzone 3 and Resident Evil 5 we're OK, just not good enough.

Dead Space: Extraction was the best

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
PS Move is sadly an amazing controller. Just very, very few good games utilize it well.

Killzone 3 and Resident Evil 5 we're OK, just not good enough.

Dead Space: Extraction was the best

Yeah, Move is IMO, way better than the Wii, it just never got the support from game developers. SCEA should have made more games too. Sports Champions 1 is really solid, and I heard the 2nd one that just came out is really good too, but outside of those, I have yet to find an interesting game.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Does the Wii U tablet have wi-fi itself? Almost seems like it would be a good tablet in and of itself.

It connects via bluetooth to the WiiU console itself, and also to your home theater. But i think the Wifi connection is what comes through the actual console itself.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 23, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Yeah, Move is IMO, way better than the Wii, it just never got the support from game developers. SCEA should have made more games too. Sports Champions 1 is really solid, and I heard the 2nd one that just came out is really good too, but outside of those, I have yet to find an interesting game.

Of course it is better. It has 5 years of development after the Wiimotes came out. Now Nintendo is basically done with that, and Sony is realizing that it is died down because they arent getting the support. Hence, WiiU gamepad and back to traditional controllers(even though WiiMotes and nunchuks are still functional with the WiiU)

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Give it a week, and you'll never pick it up again.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. You can lose interest, but there are a lot of unique and fun things to do in Skyrim and a lot of unique different missions.

I've loved the series, but my favorite game was honestly Morrowind. Perhaps it was just because it was a completely different experience for me and has stuck with me for that reason, but I've always found it to be the best game of the bunch. In all fairness though, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim have all been great games.

Never played the first two, though I plan on doing so at some point in time. I just recall reading how difficult the first one (I believe) is just to get out of the tutorial.