Jason Frasor Traded to Jays

Baron

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Let's get the vitriol going.

keithlaw keithlaw

It's a win-now-fire-sale! RT @MattKDeMello: @keithlaw Why are the Sox going into fire sale mode & not getting anything worthwhile in return?

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Law actually liked the Quentin deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Why? The plan is obviously to play as many aging slowfooted veterans as we can to go with nobodies on the mound so we can be out of the race in early June.

White Sox baseball slogan: Rebuilding is so much fun or Relevant? Who Needs Relevance?

What are you talking about? Aging and slow-footed veterans? The projected lineup is clearly younger at this point. KW has replaced Pierre and Quentin with Viciedo and De Aza.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
How can anyone complain about this move? Sox didn't have a need for Fraser and got two guys with some potential. They aren't can't miss but who in the world would exPect that in this type of deal. Nice job Kenny.

Kenny Williams made the deal. Ergo, it must be a bad move.

This is like all the back-and-forth we had over Cabrera being offered arbitration or not being offered...

In the end, we got two "sort of decent/possibly promising" pitching prospects another team signed for $700,000 back...and erased Frasor's presence from the payroll.

You can't have it both ways...we need Frasor, he's an important piece to the pen, experienced veteran, etc., and then look back at the thread where he signed and claimed to have been against bringing him back.

Now those who are against KW for whatever reasons are just using it as another excuse to say "KW has no plan, look at the return for other relievers, we got screwed again, Kenny has no idea what he's doing."

75% of this board was probably against Frasor coming back at that salary, based on his performance in 2011 with us. Maybe even 80 or 85%.

Now, because we don't have Frasor, we're consigned to a decade of irrelevance in Chicago?

We can all agree the Hudson move wasn't a very good one...what would be the most amusing future development has been pointed out already, bringing back Edwin Jackson and trading Floyd and ending up with 2 decent prospects, Zach Stewart and saving $10 million on Teahen. And we'd get a very nice haul for FLOYD in return as well.

The only question is what type of compensation in the draft we'd have to give up, Balta?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
How can anyone complain about this move? Sox didn't have a need for Fraser and got two guys with some potential. They aren't can't miss but who in the world would exPect that in this type of deal. Nice job Kenny.

Agreed, most of the people on this board were upset about picking up the extension, so why not take a chance on two players that the Jays paid over the slot bonuses for.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
Agreed, most of the people on this board were upset about picking up the extension, so why not take a chance on two players that the Jays paid over the slot bonuses for.

Not sure why people are hating on Jaye. He put up solid stats for a 19 year old in his first and only professional season. He may not be a great prospect at this moment, but he's got youth on his side. He's exactly the type of prospect you should target when trading a guy like Frasor.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)

Yep, it's a good trade. It doesn't make the trade last year of acquiring Frasor any better, and it also means Stewart is likely in the bullpen to start the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Yep, it's a good trade. It doesn't make the trade last year of acquiring Frasor any better, and it also means Stewart is likely in the bullpen to start the year.

Obviously this bring up the question, what better deal was available for 2 months of Edwin Jackson?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
If the intent of that move was truly to clear salary, then Frasor never should have been a target.

The odds are the Sox couldn't dump all 10 mill so Frasor had to go the other way.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)

Yeah, it's not the most notable move, but that doesn't mean it's not a positive move.

I understand people are frustrated by previous mistakes that these moves necessary, but I can't find fault with any of the moves that have been made this offseason.

Is there going to be Frasor appreciation thread? Maybe on the Cardinals board. lol. Anyways Frasor helped us move Teahen.

I am not going to like playing against Toronto. Have to see Teahen, Frasor, Santos

Kinda of tired of just getting pitchers. Kinda of tired of just trading with the Blue Jays. lol.

So we traded Jackson & Teahen for Stewart and two guys whose names I already forgot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 1, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
I agree with your take on the E Jax deal. He could have brought more I think. It willl be interesting to see what develops with him. Maybe the Sox go after him as a free agent? He has a tone of talent, eats up innings, can throw a lot of pitches and is young. Maybe the price will be right?

I like this idea. Trade Floyd for the best return possible and further stock the farm. Use Floyd and Frasor cash to sign E Jax. Sox turn Floyd and Frasor into 4-5 prospects and E Jax. Crazy. Like a Fox. KW pulls that off and brings in Cespedes, the Sox are exciting to me again. I refuse to evaluate KW until the end of the offseason. I'm ready for the season now. I can't wait to see who suddenly improves without Ozzie's Ego and the Walker advice.

Why would a team trade for Floyd if Jackson is still on the market? The only reason would be if Jackson's demands are outrageous, which would basically eliminate us from the conversation in the first place. So basically, we'd have to sign Jackson and then deal Floyd. I just don't know if I see KW attempting to do such a series of moves. Reinsdorf has never seemed like the type of owner to allow KW to temporarily go over budget to pull off something like this.

I like the idea in theory, as I wouldn't mind another starter locked up long-term, and I actually like Jackson more than Floyd (not even including the young talent you'd get for Floyd). However, I think it's clear by the timing of these moves that KW has cleared salary to make a run at Cespedes. Seems like KW waited until to around the new year to make these moves, allowing for offers to improve until he actually needed the cash for Cespedes, who should be a free agent soon.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Why would a team trade for Floyd if Jackson is still on the market? The only reason would be if Jackson's demands are outrageous, which would basically eliminate us from the conversation in the first place. So basically, we'd have to sign Jackson and then deal Floyd. I just don't know if I see KW attempting to do such a series of moves. Reinsdorf has never seemed like the type of owner to allow KW to temporarily go over budget to pull off something like this.

I like the idea in theory, as I wouldn't mind another starter locked up long-term, and I actually like Jackson more than Floyd (not even including the young talent you'd get for Floyd). However, I think it's clear by the timing of these moves that KW has cleared salary to make a run at Cespedes. Seems like KW waited until to around the new year to make these moves, allowing for offers to improve until he actually needed the cash for Cespedes, who should be a free agent soon.

What is interesting is Jackson is actually younger than Floyd and they have been pretty similar overall, Jackson may have even out performed him overall the last 3 seasons. So anyone pissed off the Sox traded for Jackson with a year and a half left on his contract, should probably want Floyd dealt immediately.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Why would a team trade for Floyd if Jackson is still on the market?

Jackson can choose where he wants to play. He may be comfortable and enjoy playing for the Sox. He may even take a bit less money to play for the Sox than to play for the Yankees. Jackson could choose not to play for the Royals or Pirates just because of their recent history. Floyd however would play for the Pirates or Royals if that is who the Sox traded him to. Basically, a team would trade for Floyd because Jackson would rather play for the Sox than for them. This is all very unlikely, but it has my mind on hot stove. KW is aggressive and under the radar so the idea of E Jax is at least plausible.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
Jackson can choose where he wants to play. He may be comfortable and enjoy playing for the Sox. He may even take a bit less money to play for the Sox than to play for the Yankees. Jackson could choose not to play for the Royals or Pirates just because of their recent history. Floyd however would play for the Pirates or Royals if that is who the Sox traded him to. Basically, a team would trade for Floyd because Jackson would rather play for the Sox than for them. This is all very unlikely, but it has my mind on hot stove. KW is aggressive and under the radar so the idea of E Jax is at least plausible.

why in the world would EJax choose less money with the Sox over more money with the Yankees??

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
why in the world would EJax choose less money with the Sox over more money with the Yankees??

Did EJax strike you as someone that wanted to be in the limelight and under extreme media scrutiny? My impression from interviews and body language is that he is a pretty laid back dude. I could be wrong since I do not know the man personally. Maybe he feels Cooper can help him be more successful? Of course he would not play for the Sox for 9 million a year if the Yanks were offering 12. I'm just saying if it is close, he may choose to be be happy.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Did EJax strike you as someone that wanted to be in the limelight and under extreme media scrutiny? My impression from interviews and body language is that he is a pretty laid back dude. I could be wrong since I do not know the man personally. Maybe he feels Cooper can help him be more successful? Of course he would not play for the Sox for 9 million a year if the Yanks were offering 12. I'm just saying if it is close, he may choose to be be happy.

First of all...he's a Scott Boras client. You're not a Scott Boras client unless getting a metric ****ton of money is important to you.

Secondly, guys who are laid back sometimes are the ones who work best in NYC, because they can brush it all off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
First of all...he's a Scott Boras client. You're not a Scott Boras client unless getting a metric ****ton of money is important to you.

Secondly, guys who are laid back sometimes are the ones who work best in NYC, because they can brush it all off.

The cold war with Boras has thawed a bit but good points. You are assuming the Yankees want to pay him big money. Has anyone heard which teams might be seeking Jackson?

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
The cold war with Boras has thawed a bit but good points. You are assuming the Yankees want to pay him big money. Has anyone heard which teams might be seeking Jackson?

Baltimore, Toronto, Yankees, Cardinals.