Rozner: Guillen quit on Sox long ago

southsider2k5

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 04:49 AM)
You choose the version with Steve McMichael. Off to Solitary confinement with you.

There wasnt as many promo posters as I would have liked when i googled "4 Horseman". I took the first one I saw

I'd hate to see an all-time Sox great have his legacy tarnished by this cloudy mess

For a smaller example... Magglio should be remembered as one of the great Sox players (assuming we never get the conclusive call on his possible PED use). It's a shame he's vilified or at best forgotten.

Ozzie did a lot of good here, and I think to say he "quit" is a shorthand way for the way people really want to describe it, which is that his feud with Kenny got him to the point where he lost sight of what was right for the team, and affected his motivation for going forward (with Kenny specifically)

JR was in a position to choose between KW and Ozzie, and JR chose the guy who brought in Dunn/Peavy/Rios. The very guys that were causing Ozzie's L's to pile up. It was a bad situation and we should just be glad it's over, and that all sides can get on with it. No manager is eternal, and honestly-- this is less messy than it could have been. As strange as that is to consider.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
I'd hate to see an all-time Sox great have his legacy tarnished by this cloudy mess

For a smaller example... Magglio should be remembered as one of the great Sox players (assuming we never get the conclusive call on his possible PED use). It's a shame he's vilified or at best forgotten.

Ozzie did a lot of good here, and I think to say he "quit" is a shorthand way for the way people really want to describe it, which is that his feud with Kenny got him to the point where he lost sight of what was right for the team, and affected his motivation for going forward (with Kenny specifically)

JR was in a position to choose between KW and Ozzie, and JR chose the guy who brought in Dunn/Peavy/Rios. The very guys that were causing Ozzie's L's to pile up. It was a bad situation and we should just be glad it's over, and that all sides can get on with it. No manager is eternal, and honestly-- this is less messy than it could have been. As strange as that is to consider.

Meh, Ozzie put himself in this position. He had Kenny build him that 2010 team the way he wanted and it didn't work out but he kept looking for excuses.

JR chose the guy whose family hasn't tarnished the Sox name in the media countless times in the past few years. If you don't think Ozzie was playing Rios ahead of guys like Viciedo just in spite of KW, then you obviously don't know the Guillen family.

I am no KW apologetic, but this s*** is Ozzie's s***.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Meh, Ozzie put himself in this position. He had Kenny build him that 2010 team the way he wanted and it didn't work out but he kept looking for excuses.

JR chose the guy whose family hasn't tarnished the Sox name in the media countless times in the past few years. If you don't think Ozzie was playing Rios ahead of guys like Viciedo just in spite of KW, then you obviously don't know the Guillen family.

Yes sir.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
Ozzie the Clown. What an incredibly fitting nickname.

That Clown directed the White Sox to the only championship in your lifetime.

He is no Bozo. He is the arguably greatest manager in White Sox history cause he led the team to a title.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)

He is no Bozo. He is the arguably greatest manager in White Sox history cause he led the team to a title.

Greg, even if that is true it does not give him a lifetime pass to be the White Sox manager. Ozzie made his own bed and basically forced his way out of town just like the majority of the board has said already.

Not only that but he had one of the best records as well. Ozzie was a very good manager for the White Sox. He deserves the credit.

That being said, I also think he wore out his welcome and it was time for him to go. It isn't black and white scenario. Thank him for the championship and the fun times but also don't let the door hit to in the arse on the way out.

And KW built the team and Coop coached the pitchers.

So, greatest GM and pitching coach in White Sox History?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Rios was playing as a spite move, but I also will need to see all the great talents that were benched in favor of Rios during that time. Kenny won the press conference when De Aza had a nice stretch last year, but I find it hard to believe that there was this huge movement by Ozzie to suppress De Aza's advancement.

And Viciedo didn't exactly turn into a world-saver last year. Again, we get back to a poor bag of groceries to work with. And yes a sometimes unfair manager. But when he had proper talent to work with, he too was easier to live with.

It was also nice when his kid was a bit more anonymous.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 09:22 PM)
And KW built the team and Coop coached the pitchers.

So, greatest GM and pitching coach in White Sox History?

Yeah, KW probably deserves that title and Cooper as well.

I'm just standing up for Ozzie when somebody calls him a clown. Nobody called those two guys clowns.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Rios was playing as a spite move, but I also will need to see all the great talents that were benched in favor of Rios during that time. Kenny won the press conference when De Aza had a nice stretch last year, but I find it hard to believe that there was this huge movement by Ozzie to suppress De Aza's advancement.

And Viciedo didn't exactly turn into a world-saver last year. Again, we get back to a poor bag of groceries to work with. And yes a sometimes unfair manager. But when he had proper talent to work with, he too was easier to live with.

Joe Cowley already reported as much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Yeah, KW probably deserves that title and Cooper as well.

I'm just standing up for Ozzie when somebody calls him a clown. Nobody called those two guys clowns.

Yet you call them rats and ass-kissers. You disrespect them as much as others disrespect Ozzie.

He can be a clown & a great manager at the same time. You talk about how you love his personality and how funny he always is, there ya go.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)

Any manager can look good with lots of talent around him.

And when Ozzie got his "proper" talent in 2010 the sucked besides a 25 game stretch vs NL teams.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Yet you call them rats and ass-kissers. You disrespect them as much as others disrespect Ozzie.

I don't like that about them, but I'll give their props.

Yes, Coop is best pitching coach in Sox history and yes KW is best GM in Sox history cause he did engineer the title team.

But I am not high on either of them right now; Coop for his behavior in the Oz thing and KW for his awful GM'ing of late.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't like that about him, but I'll give him his props.

Yes, Ozzie is best manager in Sox history cause he did guide the title team.

But I am not high on him right now; Ozzie for behavior in the KW thing and his awful managing of late.

See?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I don't like that about them, but I'll give their props.

Yes, Coop is best pitching coach in Sox history and yes KW is best GM in Sox history cause he did engineer the title team.

But I am not high on either of them right now; Coop for his behavior in the Oz thing and KW for his awful GM'ing of late.

So why are you still high on Ozzie despite his behavior and awful managing of late?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)

Viciedo was also raking for the portion of the year when his injured hand wasn't acting up, and got called up and received playing time after his hand had started acting up again.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
So why are you still high on Ozzie despite his behavior and awful managing of late?

I never believed Ozzie was "awful" last year. I think he played the high-paid guys and never faulted him for that. I tend to blame players.

As far as his behavior ... I don't care about him 'quitting' with 2 games left.

I believe even with a year left on his contract, he wouldn't have been brought back for this season even though everybody says he was welcome to come back. I think the Marlins' thing was obviously going to happen and Jerry knew it. It gave the Sox an easy way out (they didn't have to fire Oz) but no way in hell were Oz and KW both going to come back this season. I truly believe the Sox would have parted with one of the two and I think KW won that war. In my opinion he did it by brownnosing, but we can disagree on that.

Edited by greg775