2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
I am debating Tebow with Frank Thomas on twitter. Never thought I would say that

Please do share.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
Please share?

It started out like this...

Frank Thomas ‏ @TheBigHurt_35

Just a serious thought!! Am I the only one who fells Denver just screwed Tim Tebow??? Sold out Tickets, Merchandise on fire!!!

Sorry, didnt see this until just now

Lets just say Frank is a big Tebow fan and I disagreed with him. What SS2k5 just posted was how it started. You can follow me(@kyyle23) or look in his twitter feed to see it, I cant post it until later today because I am at work and my phone sucks donkey ballz

It wasnt mean spirited, but FT obviously thought Tebow was winning those games last season, not the defense

Peyton got paid.

Broncos signed QB Peyton Manning to a five-year, $96 million contract.

The biggest free agent signing in NFL history is now official. The amount of guaranteed money is currently unknown, but the the $19.2 million average annual value surpasses that of both the deal Manning signed with the Colts last summer and the four-year, $72 million extension Tom Brady signed in 2010.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
It started out like this...

Frank Thomas ‏ @TheBigHurt_35

Just a serious thought!! Am I the only one who fells Denver just screwed Tim Tebow??? Sold out Tickets, Merchandise on fire!!!

I think this comment says a lot about why Frank never turned into the megastar (off the field) that he should have. Always about $.

i obviously love the marshall deal, but the bears have done almost nothing in FA (backup Qb and ST) to improve over last year - i sure hope emery drafts well, cuz we still need OL, DL and DB....and maybe TE too

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
i obviously love the marshall deal, but the bears have done almost nothing in FA (backup Qb and ST) to improve over last year - i sure hope emery drafts well, cuz we still need OL, DL and DB....and maybe TE too

I'm guessing once Mincey got resigned by the Jags they decided to just keep the signings small and resign as many as our own players as possible. I'd imagine we draft a DE in the first round now and maybe try signing one more FA or resign Okoye. I'm guessing Bears draft goes with DE in the first and another defensive player in the 2nd with WR someone like AJ Jenkins in the 3rd.

I ran some quick numbers for people who are concerned about the OL going into next year. For the 10 games Jay Cutler was playing where the Bears had a reasonably functional offense and rhythm, the O-line gave up 5, 6, 3, 1, 3, 2, 0, 2, and 0 sacks, for 23 sacks altogether. As we all know, in 2010 they gave up 52 sacks. This was a MARKED improvement from the year before. Extrapolated out to a full season, this is about 37 sacks. That’s a lot, but for a Martz offense, it’s a pretty decent (even with Orlando Pace at LT it wasn’t unusual to see Kurt Warner get sacked 40 times). The first two games were rough, and after that they had settled in, and Martz started calling different plays once Cutler had publicly called him out.

They ended the year with 49 sacks, which of course sucks. Why? Well the next 4 games, after Cutler got hurt and Chris Williams went on IR around the same time, they gave up 4, 7, 4, and 4 sacks! Even though the line was banged up by this point, those sacks weren’t all on them. It was because… and listen closely to the next part… CALEB HANIE DID NOT KNOW WHAT IN THE BLUE f*** HE WAS DOING. That was the new denominator that messed up the whole equation. He was getting sacked twice as often as Cutler! That is not a coincidence at all.

The next 2 games with McCown in his place had him getting sacked 0 times, and then 7 times. The last game, against Minnesota, you can pin almost entirely on J’Marcus Webb getting sodomized badly by Jared Allen. Other than that… as a unit, with Cutler settled in, they were performing fine. Forte was putting up elite numbers both rushing and receiving. The problem with that offense was the lack of credible receivers, not bad blocking.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)

FA is not the way to fill needs on your team long-term. It's expensive and busts the cap. Emery spent quite a bit of the Bears' cap space still trying to leave room for Cutler's extension next year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
DeMeco Ryans got traded to the Eagles for an undisclosed pick. Good look for the Eagles who desperately needed a LB, but not sure why the Texans pulled the plug on him. Ryans is a tackling machine.

The Texans are absolutely hamstrung by the salary cap. They just don't have any money. They take a $6M cap hit this year but it frees up $9M next year by trading him