Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6741574.story

By Mark Gonzales Tribune reporter

6:53 p.m. CDT, March 22, 2012

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Manager Robin Ventura said he could wait until after the Chicago White Sox leave Arizona on April 2 before naming a closer.

Ventura expressed his patience after the Sox's 16-4 win over Kansas City in which left-hander Matt Thornton kept his ERA at 0.00 after pitching 1 1/3 scoreless innings, rookie Addison Reed was charged with two runs in 1 2/3 innings and Jesse Crain tries to recover from a right oblique strain.

"I know how (Crain) throws and you’re trying to get the best situation and set up the bullpen the best you can," Ventura said. "We’re still going through that.”

All signs point to left-hander John Danks becoming the opening day starter, but Ventura wouldn't officially name Danks to start April 6 at Texas. Ventura did say the Sox's 25-man roster could be set by the time they leave Arizona.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
he can say whatever he wants as long as he's putting up zeros. 12 straight innings of no run ball with a 9 K/9? love it.

I think so too. Probably Peavy is talking because he feels good and is doing good. I hope that bodes well for the Sox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
White Sox pitchers led the majors in 2011 in pickoff attempts:

White Sox: 897

Padres: 890

Dodgers: 889

Athletics: 856

Royals: 853

Yankees: 833

Rangers: 818

Braves: 803

Diamondbacks: 789

Marlins: 771

AJ's arm.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:54 AM)
AJ's arm.

Granted AJ might not have the best arm but the pichers have to help keep runners close, which they didn't except for Mark Buerhle. I wonder what the percentages were? Mark threw a lot because he had such a great pick off move.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
Granted AJ might not have the best arm but the pichers have to help keep runners close, which they didn't except for Mark Buerhle. I wonder what the percentages were? Mark threw a lot because he had such a great pick off move.

Yes, and he threw over a lot because he tries setting guys up. These days, most pick off attempts at first base are called by the dugout. Maybe it was Ozzie's attempt to try and combat the slow releases of White Sox pitchers.

Since St. Patty's Day, we have been playing some good baseball. I have us at 5-2 including that game which was Peavy's gem. Some of our hitters are heating it up. AJ hit an inside the park homer. Dunn hit a couple HRs. Overall, have to be satisfied where we are at. Just waiting for the season to start. This spring training seems to take forever. Oh yeah, my hands are now in shape and ready for the season as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Yes, and he threw over a lot because he tries setting guys up. These days, most pick off attempts at first base are called by the dugout. Maybe it was Ozzie's attempt to try and combat the slow releases of White Sox pitchers.

Very possible. I think that pick off attempts are an effort of the pitcher obviously to keep runners close and to help the catcher if a steal attempt occurs and to keep a runner from having an easy two base advance on a single to the OF. Catchers can call for throws over to first for sure, but the bench does control the moves. Now in the Sox case our pitchers don't seem to be the best at keeping that runner on first close and we probably did have the bench calling for more moves to first

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
Since St. Patty's Day, we have been playing some good baseball. I have us at 5-2 including that game which was Peavy's gem. Some of our hitters are heating it up. AJ hit an inside the park homer. Dunn hit a couple HRs. Overall, have to be satisfied where we are at. Just waiting for the season to start. This spring training seems to take forever. Oh yeah, my hands are now in shape and ready for the season as well.

Um, like, um...what does this mean?

QUOTE (The Only Swede @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
That tweet is now gone... What did it say?

It was a picture of Gervais with his cat. He said something like, "I'm wearing this ballcap to match my cat who has white socks on his feet."

If nothing else, the Dempster practical joke makes the read worth it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Will Ohman has had a nice career with stops at both Wrigley and U.S Cellular field. I sat down for a chat with one of the funniest players in the game (just ask him).

Can you compare and contrast the difference between Cub and Sox fans?

WILL OHMAN: The jerseys are different. The black makes me look thinner. Cub fans tend to be there more for the atmosphere. Sox fans are there more for the game. Winning is the common denominator for both fan bases. They respond to good clubs.

Favorite teammate of all time?

WO: Juan Pierre. He is the hardest worker I have ever seen and the best person. He treats everyone with respect and class. He is just an incredible human being.

Who is the best player you have ever seen or played with?

WO: Besides me you mean? Can't give you just one. Greg Maddux and John Smoltz as well as Tom Glavine -- how lucky can you be to play with three Hall of Famers. I cannot forget Chipper Jones. Make that four Hall of Famers. I learned the most from Chipper and Greg, great approach by both guys who were generous with their insight about the game. Maddux was so smart when he gave an interview it was almost like a tutoring session. He is just so baseball bright.

What is Robin Ventura like to deal with?

WO: I think he is doing a great job of transitioning the role from player to manager. He treats everyone well but he has a confidence about him, not an arrogance but a certain style that guys have responded to. You know he is in charge but he does not have to reaffirm it. Ozzie(Guillen) talked a lot more –- made jokes, kept it light. They are just different people.

Who is the funniest man in the game?

WO: Ryan Dempster. No one close. I tried to out-think him once and paid the price. I super glued his zipper open on his baseball pants the day he was starting. I also put the laces in his shoes upside down. I thought I got him. The next day I am walking out to the bullpen before the game and the Brewers bullpen coach asked me to come into their pen. He said “does this belong to you?” right next to him was the front wheel from my sports car. Dempster also removed all four wheels and had me go on a search-and-seek mission to recover the other three. Don't mess with Ryan Dempster, funniest man on earth.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Rotation is official: Danks, Peavy, Floyd, Sale, Humber (shocker)

Rangers will start Darvish on April 8th or 9th. 8th is the Sox on Sunday Night Baseball vs Floyd.

I'm really excited about our rotation. If they can stay healthy, I think we'll have a chance at making the playoffs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
I'm really excited about our rotation. If they can stay healthy, I think we'll have a chance at making the playoffs.

I'm not as optimistic as you, but that's why I'm suprised so many people pick the Sox to finish last. They could arguably have the 2nd best rotation in the division.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
I'm not as optimistic as you, but that's why I'm suprised so many people pick the Sox to finish last. They could arguably have the 2nd best rotation in the division.

SI picked us 5th and predicted less than 70 wins. I'm just not sure how's that's possible with our rotation. We'd have to suffer a couple serious injuries to our rotation suck that bad IMO. We just have too much talent and potential otherwise to be that bad.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)

I would agree, with the added wildcard. It's not pitching nor defense that concerns me, it's scoring runs.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
I would agree, with the added wildcard. It's not pitching nor defense that concerns me, it's scoring runs.

Scoring runs is definitely my main concern too, but a productive Dunn changes the entire complexion of our offense and his spring has been very encouraging.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Scoring runs is definitely my main concern too, but a productive Dunn changes the entire complexion of our offense and his spring has been very encouraging.

Our pitching staff might well come out of the gates strong...but there are 3 of those guys who might start being gassed at about 100 innings.