The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
I think you are joking cause O'Douls is non alcoholic. I'll be at Friday's Sox-KC game tho.

Yes it is coincidence. Have you taken a look at Oz's overall body of work in Chicago? It's a winning culture under Oz. Rotten last 2 seasons but even then decent records.

I love Mark Buehrle. Blasphemy.

He was the manager for 8 seasons, and in 4 of those, his winning percentage was .512 or worse, including 3/4 being under .500. Yeah, what a winner that bag of s*** was.

But HE won the World Series. Yeah, he won it alright.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
I'll take a vote. Do you all really want me to go thru that long, well thought out post point by point and re-but? I will if you want that. I dont think people want me to do that.

I love hawk, but he is going to make the current guy look good, which is fine. I like Ventura as well.

Ugh. This argument confounds me. My god. they bring in a closer for a gadzillion dollars; you have to pitch the guy in the closer's rule. It's the closer trashing their season, not ozzie. Now I guess it's to the point he's going to have to do something; Oz has indicated that, but he STILL doesn't want to replace Bell. My guess is Bell will start the second half as the closer, as he should. See what happens. Or closer by committee, but you got to go with the high paid acquisition; why can't u guys see that??

It's called a TEAM; gm acquires players; you play them. Now the closer can be kept out of a game or two, but until the GM disposes of him, he's the high paid guy who plays. This is sports; this is life.

You "got to go" with the higher paid player? Since when?

Edited by soxfan49

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
He was the manager for 8 seasons, and in 4 of those, his winning percentage was .512 or worse, including 3/4 being under .500. Yeah, what a winner that bag of s*** was.

So he had a winning record in 5/8 seasons he was here. Your kind of proving greg's point on the winning culture part....

Edited by The Gooch

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
You "got to go" with the higher paid player? Since when?

I think Ozzie and Greg are the only two people in the world that believe this.

Even Marlins fans are asking for Bell to be gone.

Edited by Iwritecode

I'll take a vote. Do you all really want me to go thru that long, well thought out post point by point and re-but? I will if you want that. I dont think people want me to do that.

I love hawk, but he is going to make the current guy look good, which is fine. I like Ventura as well.

Ugh. This argument confounds me. My god. they bring in a closer for a gadzillion dollars; you have to pitch the guy in the closer's rule. It's the closer trashing their season, not ozzie. Now I guess it's to the point he's going to have to do something; Oz has indicated that, but he STILL doesn't want to replace Bell. My guess is Bell will start the second half as the closer, as he should. See what happens. Or closer by committee, but you got to go with the high paid acquisition; why can't u guys see that??

It's called a TEAM; gm acquires players; you play them. Now the closer can be kept out of a game or two, but until the GM disposes of him, he's the high paid guy who plays. This is sports; this is life.

Thank you for not reading my damn post right above this. KW told him that he didn't have to play Dunn and Rios and he did it anyway. There's no question that money gets a guy some leeway, but at some point, a manager can't keep playing bad players.

Ozzie replaced Takatsu with Hermanson and then Jenks. End result? Championship.

He went from Matt Thornton to Sergio Santos.

Ventura went from Santiago to Thornton to Sale to Reed in about 4-6 weeks.

They've already "mini-benched" Bell once this season, replacing him for a game or two with Cishek.

Why can't we see that? Because we're not buffoons.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
So he had a winning record in 5/8 seasons he was here. Your kind of proving greg's point on the winning culture part....

Yes, a winning record for 5/8 seasons, but 3 times under .500 with the payroll they had + an 83-79 finish (.512) isn't going to cut it. One playoff appearance since winning a championship isn't going to cut it. That is not a winning culture. That's winning one championship and being very mediocre for the remaining 7 seasons.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Why can't we see that? Because we're not buffoons.

It's because this is the Greg school of arguing:

1) Feign ignorance and ask a question that he knows the answer to.

2) Wait for a large argument to be placed.

3) Cherry pick one point, repeat same argument.

4) Deny stuff.

That being said Greg, these forums would be less interesting without you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)

4) Deny stuff.

23330081.jpg

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:23 AM)

4) Deny stuff.

What do you mean? You guys always pick one point in my longer posts and zing me on that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
What do you mean? You guys always pick one point in my longer posts and zing me on that.

You essentially have one point, and that's that Ozzie is awesome. You are pretty much the only person on the face of the planet who isn't blood related or f***ing him that believes that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:49 AM)
You essentially have one point, and that's that Ozzie is awesome. You are pretty much the only person on the face of the planet who isn't blood related or f***ing him that believes that.

Here's what it boils down to. ...

You all believe ...

• Oz is the devil for "quitting" on the team with a week left to pursue the Marlins' job late in the season. You think he threw in the towel early.

I believe ... Oz and KW couldn't coexist and Ozzie, with the blessing of Jerry, simply agreed in principle to become the Marlins' skipper cause he wasn't wanted in Chicago anymore.

You all believe ...

• The White Sox are doing better this season just because Ozzie is gone.

I say that is crap. Some players are having better years which has nothing to do with the manager.

You all believe ...

• Ozzie should have benched Heath Bell by now.

Give me a break. You ever blame the guy throwing the f***ing baseball? He was acquired for BIG BUCKS and HAS TO BE the Marlins' closer. Ozzie has done what all managers do; replace him for a game or so. But Bell is earning mega millions. He is one of their big offseason acquisitions. He plays.

Finally ...

My plea to you.

Can you lay off Ozzie Guillen for his time in Chicago? He was a good White Sox player for a long time, solidifying our ss position. He had his flaws as a hitter, swinging at too many pitches, but was a very good player. As a manager, he directed the team to one of the best postseason runs in baseball history.

If you lay off him, I don't have to defend him.

PLEASE PLEASE leave Ozzie alone. Or ignore him.

Go SOX!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)

You all believe ...

• Oz is the devil for "quitting" on the team with a week left to pursue the Marlins' job late in the season. You think he threw in the towel early.

I believe ... Oz and KW couldn't coexist and Ozzie, with the blessing of Jerry, simply agreed in principle to become the Marlins' skipper cause he wasn't wanted in Chicago anymore.

You all believe ...

I say that is crap. Some players are having better years which has nothing to do with the manager.

You all believe ...

Give me a break. You ever blame the guy throwing the f***ing baseball? He was acquired for BIG BUCKS and HAS TO BE the Marlins' closer. Ozzie has done what all managers do; replace him for a game or so. But Bell is earning mega millions. He is one of their big offseason acquisitions. He plays.

Finally ...

My plea to you.

Can you lay off Ozzie Guillen for his time in Chicago? He was a good White Sox player for a long time, solidifying our ss position. He had his flaws as a hitter, swinging at too many pitches, but was a very good player. As a manager, he directed the team to one of the best postseason runs in baseball history.

Go SOX!!

So in other words, nobody associated with the 2005 World Series team can be criticized in any way, shape or form?

What do you think happened with Francona in Boston last year? He won 2 World Series titles.

What if he did something like Paterno, won a national championship, but protected or excused Sandusky? Would you take down his statue? What would Ozzie have to do that you would consider indefensible or not part of his acceptable "entertaining Ozzie persona"?

By the way, as to the earlier point, is Oney, Ozzie Jr or Ozney included in that comment about having sex with him or just Ibis?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:12 AM)
What if he did something like Paterno, won a national championship, but protected or excused Sandusky? Would you take down his statue? What would Ozzie have to do that you would consider indefensible or not part of his acceptable "entertaining Ozzie persona"?

Um, Caulfield, I'm gonna stand up for Greg here. Idolizing Ozzie is one thing. Protecting him like the Penn State Paternites is different.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:50 PM)
Finally ...

My plea to you.

Go SOX!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:50 AM)

You all believe ...

You all believe ...

You all believe ...

Finally ...

My plea to you.

Go SOX!!

Here's a crazy idea, don't reply.

• Oz is the devil for "quitting" on the team with a week + one more season left on his contract to pursue the Marlins' job late in the season. You think he threw in the towel early.

FIFY

Read the quotes from the players themselves. There is a completely different feeling in the clubhouse this year.

He was acquired for BIG BUCKS and HAS TO BE the Marlins' closer.

I like you you keep saying this like it's a true fact. He doesn't HAVE TO BE anything, no matter what his salary is.

I don't have to defend him.

I agree.

You all believe ...

Check out what the Brewers are paying K-Rod to pitch the 8th & John Axford to pitch the 9th.

On The Franchise last night, the Marlins Team President asked Ozzie about three times "are you sure you're not keeping Heath Bell as closer only due to him making 9 million a year?". Ozzie responded that wasn't the reason why he wanted him to be closer, as he felt the team was better with Bell as the closer and the 9 million dollar salary was the fault of the front office, and not him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
On The Franchise last night, the Marlins Team President asked Ozzie about three times "are you sure you're not keeping Heath Bell as closer only due to him making 9 million a year?". Ozzie responded that wasn't the reason why he wanted him to be closer, as he felt the team was better with Bell as the closer and the 9 million dollar salary was the fault of the front office, and not him.

Ugh. Why would you watch that? Keeping up with the Kardashians not on?