What happened to Cowley

everafan

I know he was reprimanded for the sexist tweets but he retained his employment as a columnist. I scrolled through his recent columns and they are extremely vanilla. Did he get fired from his appearances on the Score? Is he reverting to the fetal position due to his allegiance to Ozzie, seeing that Ozzie appears to be on the sinking ship, not the irrelevant White Sox? Just wondering if he has any visibility in Chicago now that the Guillen family is in Miami.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowley built his "brand" on Twitter. Being the WWE-style twitter/radio heal got him way more notoriety than his columns ever did. Being censored severly neuters that. Nobody really cares about this guy's flat baseball & organizational insight. With Ozzie gone, he brings nothing more to the table than any other beat writer.

Edited by SmashROT

Every so often he'll co-host a show on The Score during the weekend. I think it's interesting stuff based on how 2012 has panned out for the Sox to this point. It beats the s*** out of the national programming they would air otherwise; every last national show they air talks college football. It's awful enough to hear that s*** during the college football season. Hearing it in the middle of summer automatically has me turning the radio off.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Cowley built his "brand" on Twitter. Being the WWE-style twitter/radio heal got him way more notoriety than his columns ever did. Being censored severly neuters that. Nobody really cares about this guy's flat baseball & organizational insight. With Ozzie gone, he brings nothing more to the table than any other beat writer.

Honestly he brings less. He now has no sources, plus no baseball insight.

Funny that he addressed it in today's column. Very lazy here. He basically gets Paul Konerko to say that it wasn't as simple as a manager change, it was a change in organizational philosophy. Of course, Paulie isn't going to throw Ozzie under the bus. But even a 5th grader can interpret the meaning - this organizational change was not possible with Ozzie at the helm. One of Ozzie's favorite quotes was "The major league is not an instructional league" and "I can't teach these guys anyting". So there is no way that Ozzie would have gone along with the the reinforcement of baseball fundamentals.

Ozzie is managing a talented team this year (as he did last year) and it is like ground hog day. All the drama, egomania, poor results, throwing players under ther bus, outrageous proclamations, etc.

Ozzie was a great manager early in his career but he is a shell of that guy today.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13706979-41...n-williams.html

QUOTE (everafan @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Funny that he addressed it in today's column. Very lazy here. He basically gets Paul Konerko to say that it wasn't as simple as a manager change, it was a change in organizational philosophy. Of course, Paulie isn't going to throw Ozzie under the bus. But even a 5th grader can interpret the meaning - this organizational change was not possible with Ozzie at the helm. One of Ozzie's favorite quotes was "The major league is not an instructional league" and "I can't teach these guys anyting". So there is no way that Ozzie would have gone along with the the reinforcement of baseball fundamentals.

Ozzie is managing a talented team this year (as he did last year) and it is like ground hog day. All the drama, egomania, poor results, throwing players under ther bus, outrageous proclamations, etc.

Ozzie was a great manager early in his career but he is a shell of that guy today.

Holy god, my brain hurts after reading that pathetic attempt to save Ozzie. Ozzie isn't a details guy. He, himself stated he didn't believe in drill, rather he felt that just talking about them would suffice. Ventura comes in, and starts working on drills, and the team gets better at them, yet it wasn't Ozzie or Robins fault? This clown needs to work for a political campaign because he has no shame.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
Holy god, my brain hurts after reading that pathetic attempt to save Ozzie. Ozzie isn't a details guy. He, himself stated he didn't believe in drill, rather he felt that just talking about them would suffice. Ventura comes in, and starts working on drills, and the team gets better at them, yet it wasn't Ozzie or Robins fault? This clown needs to work for a political campaign because he has no shame.

Totally. What a waste of my last two minutes.

The current players will say plenty about the previous circus without invoking the clown's name.

QUOTE (everafan @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)

And as usual, Cowley couldn't keep himself from throwing K.W. under the bus, as if it was K.W's fault that fundamentals were not taught, or players held accountable for executing them.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
And as usual, Cowley couldn't keep himself from throwing K.W. under the bus, as if it was K.W's fault that fundamentals were not taught, or players held accountable for executing them.

He can't write a Sox article without it. It just adds to his level of pathetic. I swear the guy must be jealous of Kenny or something because all he does he talk about him.