Questionable Pence to Sox trade rumor from guy with under 200 tweets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Yeah, but I'd much rather have Pence over De Aza.

Pence hasn't played CF in the past 5 years, and isn't an ideal lead off hitter. His defense in the past 2 years, according to Fangraphs, is terrible. You are only getting marginal upgrade over De Aza when all things considered, if that. You are not going to pull a trade for a guy who is only a marginal upgrade over the player you are replacing, when the player you are replacing is an above average player, and the player you are trading for is due for $13 million next season.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
If this was even close to being true, then I'd think that Tank was being shipped to Seattle in a deal to get King Felix.

Santiago Floyd Viciedo for Felix Hernandez & Jones Jor Danks for Pence

???

Profit!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
We will find out in like 16 hours! I loooove the deadline.

This right here. As far as sports goes, this is absolutely my favorite time of year.

I will be hitting the refresh button a billion freaking times tomorrow before 3.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Pence hasn't played CF in the past 5 years, and isn't an ideal lead off hitter. His defense in the past 2 years, according to Fangraphs, is terrible. You are only getting marginal upgrade over De Aza when all things considered, if that. You are not going to pull a trade for a guy who is only a marginal upgrade over the player you are replacing, when the player you are replacing is an above average player, and the player you are trading for is due for $13 million next season.

You've already seen his arbitration figures? That's incredible, actually.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
On MLB Network Brian Kenny just said that there may be another major deal in the works tonight. I don't think this is it but I wonder what he's talking about.

He may be talking about Garza.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
You've already seen his arbitration figures? That's incredible, actually.

Pence will be arbitration-eligible and will be in line for a salary in the $14-15 million range. His current production doesn't the match the cost nor the structure of the Phillies’ payroll. A trade to a team like the Pirates would make sense. Marte would become the Phillies' everyday center fielder, and Dickerson would give them a legitimate first-base prospect for the future. Pence's 2013 salary would make him a bit expensive for the Bucs, but it would be only a one-year deal, which would make it palatable.

- Jim Bowden. Not my favorite analyst, but he couldn't be wrong about this.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=4692