Ozzie Guillen, fired

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Miami added a few players but tell me you think that team had WS champ written all over it? One thing is for sure, Ozzie is going away, far away out of the public eye and you guys that dislike him have it made. I mean he'll have absolutely no forum anymore so he gawn. We're not going to hear much if anything from Ozzie Guillen (except for any upcoming stories re. his Miami firing) for years to come unless some team hires him as manager like the Jays or Rockies.

World Series had nothing to do with it, and is a pointless exaggeration. He took a 72 win team that added 4 big free agents, and made it worse. His former team lost three big players, and got 6 games better. Those are direct measurable items that can be traced back to the manager.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
World Series had nothing to do with it, and is a pointless exaggeration. He took a 72 win team that added 4 big free agents, and made it worse. His former team lost three big players, and got 6 games better. Those are direct measurable items that can be traced back to the manager.

Will I admit he failed this season? Sure. He deserves a D. But his front office deserves an F. They brought in Bell.

As far as the Sox ... yeah they were improved, but Robin also engineered an epic epic collapse down the stretch. It was sick and sad.

I don't understand your guys' venom toward Ozzie. He is who he is. An entertaining, ego driven nut, which is kind of cool in this day and age of say-nothingness political correctness. Now that he's leaving the public eye, why not just like him as I do?

And I wish Robin the best. I never ripped him half as bad as many others in the game threads.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Will I admit he failed this season? Sure. He deserves a D. But his front office deserves an F. They brought in Bell.

As far as the Sox ... yeah they were improved, but Robin also engineered an epic epic collapse down the stretch. It was sick and sad.

I don't understand your guys' venom toward Ozzie. He is who he is. An entertaining, ego driven nut, which is kind of cool in this day and age of say-nothingness political correctness. Now that he's leaving the public eye, why not just like him as I do?

They brought in Bell, Buehrle, and Reyes. Reyes and Buehrle had good seasons. Everybody knew the Bell signing was bad, but that doesn't even come close in explaining how the Marlins had the second worst offense in the NL.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
They brought in Bell, Buehrle, and Reyes. Reyes and Buehrle had good seasons. Everybody knew the Bell signing was bad, but that doesn't even come close in explaining how the Marlins had the second worst offense in the NL.

In looking back, would you rather have had the Marlins' roster or 3-4 of the other teams' in that division? Marlins are run by a moron in Loria and his yes men minions. Ozzie either is a moron for taking that job in the first place or a genius knowing he'd be fired and get all that money for doing nothing. Now we know why he wanted 4 years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)

And I wish Robin the best. I never ripped him half as bad as many others in the game threads.

Bell was a successful closer until he got to Guillen. Another big veteran who failed under Guillen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Bell was a successful closer until he got to Guillen. Another big veteran who failed under Guillen.

"Big" veteran is right.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
Greg let me just tell you that Ozzie's managerial career is OVAH!

I am sorry but it is true. If you think after this debacle that any manager would want a part of this headcase, you're sadly mistaken.

I wish the Royals would hire him. You are right though. The Miami Marlins ended the career of a WS winning manager probably. Amazing. Dombroski might hire him, though, if he likes him. Or maybe Hahn. It will take a guy with a White Sox background.Think of the resume about to go to waste because of Loria.

Be honest and assess a grade to Ozzie Guillen's career.

With White Sox - I give him A-, considering history of franchise and what he did.

With Marlins - D.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
"Big" veteran is right.

I wish the Royals would hire him. You are right though. The Miami Marlins ended the career of a WS winning manager probably. Amazing. Dombroski might hire him, though, if he likes him. Or maybe Hahn. It will take a guy with a White Sox background.Think of the resume about to go to waste because of Loria.

It's unbelievable how you keep trying to pin the blame on the ownership for this.

Ozzie has nobody to blame but himself.

Think of all the great current and past managers in MLB and see how many of them acted the way Ozzie did/does. I'm betting you won't be able to find any.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)

C'mon man, you asked me how old I was before now I wanna turn the tables, how old are you??? It's childish to think the front office "deserves an F".

Heath Bell- All Star the previous 3 years, best closer in the NL in '10 and '11

Jose Reyes- Batting Title the previous year.

Mark Buehrle- A god in your book

How in the world can you say the front office deserves an F for adding those guys?

"Big" veteran is right.

Thats childish, he's been big his whole career and that hasn't messed with his game before.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:37 PM)
It's unbelievable how you keep trying to pin the blame on the ownership for this.

Ozzie has nobody to blame but himself.

Think of all the great current and past managers in MLB and see how many of them acted the way Ozzie did/does. I'm betting you won't be able to find any.

Miami should be ashamed of itself giving him one year and ruining his career. One fricking year??

All because of Loria's ego. Loria got called out by an underling. Grow up, Loria. He does get the last laugh ruining Ozzie's career, but Ozzie gets a laugh too. If he invests that money properly he's set for life and so are his kids.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
C'mon man, you asked me how old I was before now I wanna turn the tables, how old are you??? It's childish to think the front office "deserves an F".

Heath Bell- All Star the previous 3 years, best closer in the NL in '10 and '11

Jose Reyes- Batting Title the previous year.

Mark Buehrle- A god in your book

How in the world can you say the front office deserves an F for adding those guys?

Mark did great. Bell let the fans down by reporting fat and lousy. Reyes was fine. Ozzie deserved more than one year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
Miami should be ashamed of itself giving him one year and ruining his career. One fricking year??

All because of Loria's ego. Loria got called out by an underling. Grow up, Loria. He does get the last laugh ruining Ozzie's career, but Ozzie gets a laugh too. If he invests that money properly he's set for life and so are his kids.

Ruining his career? Seriously? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Mark did great. Bell let the fans down by reporting fat and lousy. Reyes was fine. Ozzie deserved more than one year.

I don't know what kind of job you do but next year I think you should seriously under-perform your expectations, cuss out your co-workers, declare that you don't do all that much besides sleep and play on your ipad and at the end of the year call out your boss on what a horrible job he is doing.

Then report back with the results.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
In looking back, would you rather have had the Marlins' roster or 3-4 of the other teams' in that division? Marlins are run by a moron in Loria and his yes men minions. Ozzie either is a moron for taking that job in the first place or a genius knowing he'd be fired and get all that money for doing nothing. Now we know why he wanted 4 years.

The Marlins looked like a 85-88 win team on paper and a lot of projection systems had them around those win totals. I ran an aggregate of all projection systems and I remember the Marlins were projected to win 87 games and clinched the 2nd wild card.

Just admit it, Ozzie was handed a pretty good team and shat all over it. Remember when they were awesome in May? That's what this team could have been. Instead, Ozzie lost control of the team in June and they crapped the bed badly. Same old s***, different toilet.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)

The Marlins looked like a 85-88 win team on paper and a lot of projection systems had them around those win totals. I ran an aggregate of all projection systems and I remember the Marlins were projected to win 87 games and clinched the 2nd wild card.

Just admit it, Ozzie was handed a pretty good team and shat all over it. Remember when they were awesome in May? That's what this team could have been. Instead, Ozzie lost control of the team in June and they crapped the bed badly. Same old s***, different toilet.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Bell has always been fat!

How can the front office get an F for adding all that ?

How can he love Bobby Jenks so much if he's b****ing that Bell reported in fat and out of shape? Jenks did that almost every year with the Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

WHAT??? He was a top closer and the top relief man the year before. Yet all of a sudden his size got the best of him? He was on national TV literally asking Ozzie to give him some support because he wasnt getting any communication from him. s*** Hanley left and almost improved his BA by 30 points. Ozzie's antics were a distraction and his inability to lead by example completely tore apart that team's clubhouse. There was no reason they shouldnt have improved on their 2011 numbers and they regressed.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 12:56 AM)
Finally. Somebody answers each of my points! Thank you!

Is Q only 20? Really? Quintana? Much younger than I thought.

I don't care about popularity. I'm loyal to Ozzie for what he did for me (Sox).

He made my happy in 2005, mighty happy.

So let me get the basis of your "Greg logic"

Team does good, wins division or WS = Ozzie is a magician and he motivated the team and is the sole reason the team won. Couldn't be replicated by another manager.

Team does bad, loses division = The damn GM, Owner, Coop, weather, and other excuses were the reason that the team lost. If Ozzie couldn't win, no one could.

2+2=7 in your world. Whatever you are employing as logic does not work. It is just a mancrush on a manager. Just admit it and we can move on.

I am a fan of the WhiteSox, not a manager or a player.

Edited by southsideirish71

Just so we are aware, I am no longer going to talk about Ozzie Guillen on this website unless it comes up organically and is not disputing how terrible he is. Like, I might talk about him, but I'm not doing this anymore. At this point, I believe masturbation is more productive than continuing this argument with greg because then atleast I feel good (or shameful and guilty, depending on what I watched) afterwards. This is nothing more than aggrivating.

So I'm going to end it with this:

OZZIE GUILLEN IS A HORRIBLE MANAGER

The end

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Just so we are aware, I am no longer going to talk about Ozzie Guillen on this website unless it comes up organically and is not disputing how terrible he is. Like, I might talk about him, but I'm not doing this anymore. At this point, I believe masturbation is more productive than continuing this argument with greg because then atleast I feel good (or shameful and guilty, depending on what I watched) afterwards. This is nothing more than aggrivating.

The end

I'm just gonna do what qwerty did like 5 years ago. I can't take greg anymore. He's more annoying than honey boo boo.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
I don't know what kind of job you do but next year I think you should seriously under-perform your expectations, cuss out your co-workers, declare that you don't do all that much besides sleep and play on your ipad and at the end of the year call out your boss on what a horrible job he is doing.

Then report back with the results.

Excellent post. I do disagree that he cussed OUT his coworkers. He cussed around them a lot. He did call out his boss and got canned for it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)

I respect your work on the projections. I don't see how he "lost control of the team" any more than Robin did (and he didn't) during the stretches where the Sox sucked.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
How can he love Bobby Jenks so much if he's b****ing that Bell reported in fat and out of shape? Jenks did that almost every year with the Sox.

I may be unfair in calling Bell "fat" so much, but I don't respect Bell.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
So let me get the basis of your "Greg logic"

Team does good, wins division or WS = Ozzie is a magician and he motivated the team and is the sole reason the team won. Couldn't be replicated by another manager.

Team does bad, loses division = The damn GM, Owner, Coop, weather, and other excuses were the reason that the team lost. If Ozzie couldn't win, no one could.

2+2=7 in your world. Whatever you are employing as logic does not work. It is just a mancrush on a manager. Just admit it and we can move on.

I am a fan of the WhiteSox, not a manager or a player.

I never said those things about him being a magician or the only guy who could have won the WS (though nobody else in modern Sox history has come close to winning a WS cept in 59 with Al Lopes or whomever the manager was; and that 59 team didn't exactly set the WS on fire). Let me make this clear: He is NOT the only reason the team won in '05; he was not out there throwing all those complete games and getting clutch hits. He was NOT the only reason, not by far.

I am saying BECAUSE of the fact he was in charge in 05 I do love the guy, yes I do. And if you see my track record I pretty much support every player on that team, too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)

The end

There is absolutely no evidence at all he is a "horrible manager." Did he suck this past season? Yes. But so did many other facets of that team.

I don't see why so many of you cannot do one thing that would make me very happy.

Just say, "I thank Ozzie Guillen and the players for '05. I wish it would have worked out better his final year in Chicago. I really don't care what happens in Miami and I truly wish Ozzie Guillen the best." Why not take that route?

From everything I've read, he's a nice guy and doesn't treat fans badly, etc. So why not take the high road and wish him well.

Edited by greg775