Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa those are really low starting salaries. Even my roommate who is just a lab tech at a large pharma company (and is hourly) makes around $40k before overtime.

Entry level in IT is like $55k+ at most large companies in the Chicago area.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Whoa those are really low starting salaries. Even my roommate who is just a lab tech at a large pharma company (and is hourly) makes around $40k before overtime.

CDW, 23k +2k signing bonus paid out of 365 days. Also 10% of GP commisson. I made probably 40k as the top rep my group.

To me that was a TON of money.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
CDW, 23k +2k signing bonus paid out of 365 days. Also 10% of GP commisson. I made probably 40k as the top rep my group.

To me that was a TON of money.

Oh yea it's pretty great not having a lot of commitments (zero school loans thanks to parents/being an RA to cover housing costs and working PT to cover all other costs), even with financing a car and rent I pretty much don't really worry about money.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Oh yea it's pretty great not having a lot of commitments (zero school loans thanks to parents/being an RA to cover housing costs and working PT to cover all other costs), even with financing a car and rent I pretty much don't really worry about money.

Back then I worked at Grand Central on Lincoln and Wrightwood and used that cash for day to day and never touched my paychecks except for rent and bills. Never even used my ATM card.

Those were the days.

The school district I work for pays entry level IT (some prior experience is preferred/required) approximately $40k.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
The school district I work for pays entry level IT (some prior experience is preferred/required) approximately $40k.

Hence large companies in Chicago part. And IT is so broad that it was kind of an unfair generalization.

Working in the helpdesk or doing helpdesk type work will probably start at $40k at most places. Working as an analyst or a higher tier for troubleshooting/building will pay a lot more.

IT has to be one of the higher paying starting fields. My buddy made 65k right out of school at Boeing while no one else that I know came close to that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
IT has to be one of the higher paying starting fields. My buddy made 65k right out of school at Boeing while no one else that I know came close to that.

I was right around there, pretty much higher than any of my accountant friends but lower than most consultants. I also have to be on call periodically so there is some pay built into that.

I know a bunch of people who try to shove their pets down everyone's throats as if they're children. And speaking of children, some people go WAY overboard with that as well. It's fine to post pictures and stuff about them, but some people basically become that child. They stop being their own personality, an individual. I just don't care that much about your kid, nobody else does.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
Including your dog on your Christmas card picture and naming them with equal billing to the kids...

I can't be the only one who thinks this is weird....and kind of a diss to the kids.

As long as the kids are named first, I'm ok with it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
Congrats!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Congrats, now begins actual life.

The 20's after you graduate are the greatest time ever, move out, get out, do whatever you want.

Thank you, and thank you.

But I have pretty much 0 chance of moving out and surviving. My mom just hit me with the "so now you pay all your own bills, and you are now $20K in student debt" yesterday, so that was cool. I'm not what you call a very hard worker. Maybe that's not the right word, because I work hard when I am at work, I just hate working. I've had a job since I was 16, but it's usually been 15-20 hours a week. I'm very cheap and frugle, so it's never been an issue for me making only like $100 a week. But now that I have all my own bills to pay instead of just a portion of them, I realize I need to start working 30+ hours a week now just to stay afloat. I know my parents will help me out if I need it, but I feel guilty enough being the only one of my brothers to go away to college at at a University. My 2 older brothers stayed home and commuted to school where tuition was only like $2500 a semester or something cheap like that. They were both able to work throughout college and pay their own bills, I never did (maybe could have, but my major does not lend itself to a side job).

Needless to say, I got heaps of stress right now. I've spent the past few hours trying to apple to various baseball jobs across the country, unfortunately most are only offering internships, and no entry-level positions.