Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Forget that, Go Cats. I've come to realize that I am in the minority amongst Illini fans in that I like Northwestern.

F that noise. It's Northwestern. I don't think their fans are pulling for Illinois.

Plus, OSU being good doesn't have the affect on Illinois that NW being good does. NW and Illinois are competing for the same things, Illinois and OSU aren't. You can't exactly root for both and have it be logical.

You're in the minority on everything, rooting NW, wanting to pay players, run a dirty program...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
I don't think anyone cared about NU until the Chicago's Big Ten team campaign

On sportsnet they just polled viewers, NU vs OSU got 0% of "what do you want to see this weekend". Blackhawks, bulls, bears and even playoff baseball beat them.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
On sportsnet percentjust polled viewers, NU vs OSU got 0% of "what do you want to see this weekend". Blackhawks, bulls, bears and even playoff baseball beat them.

That's because illinois fans hacked the poll. Though to be fair it was less than ten percent before then even.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 05:01 PM)
F that noise. It's Northwestern. I don't think their fans are pulling for Illinois.

Plus, OSU being good doesn't have the affect on Illinois that NW being good does. NW and Illinois are competing for the same things, Illinois and OSU aren't. You can't exactly root for both and have it be logical.

You're in the minority on everything, rooting NW, wanting to pay players, run a dirty program...

Well I have been a NW fan since the Notre Dame win in 95, they were the only college team in Chicago growing up.(plus I hated all the people claiming ND was Chicago's team) Going to school in Champaign obviously made the Illini#1 on my list.

Illinois football is so insignificant that it's hard to worry about battling over stuff with the Cats, when Illinois can't step tripping over their own two feet. It's a basketball school and NW is an afterthought in that department.

As far as paying players goes, it happens everywhere. Do you really think the few that get caught are the only ones breaking rules? The rules are dumb, everyone tries to bend them as needed, it's about winning, not "amateurism".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 06:02 PM)
Well I have been a NW fan since the Notre Dame win in 95, they were the only college team in Chicago growing up.(plus I hated all the people claiming ND was Chicago's team) Going to school in Champaign obviously made the Illini#1 on my list.

Illinois football is so insignificant that it's hard to worry about battling over stuff with the Cats, when Illinois can't step tripping over their own two feet. It's a basketball school and NW is an afterthought in that department.

As far as paying players goes, it happens everywhere. Do you really think the few that get caught are the only ones breaking rules? The rules are dumb, everyone tries to bend them as needed, it's about winning, not "amateurism".

Did you just call Illinois insignificant while defending NU haha? I mean it's great that they've gotten better and all, but that just doesn't make any sense...

NU was complete horses*** before 95. Beating Notre Dame was the first significant thing they did since, s***, I don't know, Ara Parseghian? Those back to back Big Ten titles (second was shared) were obviously the peak, though they shared another one in 2000 and have been fairly competitive since then (they're 50-62 in conference since 2000, which I think is pretty good considering their facilities blow and their head coach DIED in 2006).

This is definitely one of the biggest games in NU history, or at least the history any of us can remember. Other than 95/96 (when they didn't play OSU either year), the only real contender in my lifetime is the 2000 Michigan game, which had championship implications. Hopefully this one is similar, I'm nervous though.

By the way, they just announced that they're opening the lots at NOON tomorrow. That's unheard of for NU.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
Did you just call Illinois insignificant while defending NU haha? I mean it's great that they've gotten better and all, but that just doesn't make any sense...

Well they certainly matter more than Illinois does now, but I wasn't even defending NU. Just saying that I root for both of them, and they basically never compete for a B1G title at the same time, so there really isn't much of a conflict of interest there. NW recruits more nationally anyway.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 4, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)

I can't believe people would care enough about NW to root against them.

Man, looking through wiki, it's disgusting how lopsided Big Ten football is:

The fact that MN is 3rd and IL is 4th is laughable.

Minnesota was the king of the Big Ten from the late 30's through the 50's or so.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
Jameis Winston might be the best QB in college football right now. He is absolutely unreal

Has looked good but he's played absolute trash defenses.

We'll see how good this Florida St team really is in two weeks when they play at Clemson.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Has looked good but he's played absolute trash defenses.

We'll see how good this Florida St team really is in two weeks when they play at Clemson.

Pitt's defense was top 20 last year and returned 9 starters. Maryland was one of the best defenses in the country coming into today.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 5, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
Pitt's defense was top 20 last year and returned 9 starters. Maryland was one of the best defenses in the country coming into today.

Defensive rankings before conference play doesn't mean much. Regardless there are other QBs who are probably ahead of him.