2013 Spring Training catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 06:19 PM)
Grabe was 1-3 today with a double. Took one off the top of a high RF Fence. He also suffered his first strike out of Spring Training. Should be playing again tomorrow as well.He had two balls hit to him today that he cleanly fielded.

Very good.

Hey, Steve Tolleson is still with the Sox. He may be playing 2B for Charlotte too.

Serious question: As we enter this season are we a team/organization on the upswing or downturn or what exactly?

A couple friends who root for the Royals asked me today what my feelings about the Sox were. They know I am a crazed Sox fan and not some sort of fly by night Sox fan.

I said I enter the season with zero expectations (last year at this time I still had huge expectations). I said I like some of our veteran players and I like our starting pitching and we always seem to have a very good closer and that's why we usually finish over .500.

But I said I hate our set up guys in the bullpen and think we have a lot of average bodies at many positions: 3B, CF, LF, 2B, C to name five key positions.

I told them my expectations were pretty darn low for the first time in forever. Do you think I am a clown for thinking this way and thinking our future is not exactly brimming with hope? Where exactly is this franchise headed following this spring training heading into the opener?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
Serious question: As we enter this season are we a team/organization on the upswing or downturn or what exactly?

A couple friends who root for the Royals asked me today what my feelings about the Sox were. They know I am a crazed Sox fan and not some sort of fly by night Sox fan.

I said I enter the season with zero expectations (last year at this time I still had huge expectations). I said I like some of our veteran players and I like our starting pitching and we always seem to have a very good closer and that's why we usually finish over .500.

But I said I hate our set up guys in the bullpen and think we have a lot of average bodies at many positions: 3B, CF, LF, 2B, C to name five key positions.

I told them my expectations were pretty darn low for the first time in forever. Do you think I am a clown for thinking this way and thinking our future is not exactly brimming with hope? Where exactly is this franchise headed following this spring training heading into the opener?

Come in as underdogs, national media actually picking the Sox 3rd or 4th in the division, but I think we will surprise everybody and build on last year.

Yeah checking random publications these last few days (Grantland, Yahoo!) every down on the Sox this season. Lot's of 3rd or 4th and ALMOST UNANIMOUS fellating of the Tigers as "far and way the best team" etc.

Good.

Always better to sneak in there, and out perform expectation like always.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Based on the pics Gonzo has been tweeting the left field wall should look different this season with the retired numbers. moving

Or maybe they put them in both places?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 11:24 PM)
Or maybe they put them in both places?

Someone asked Gonzo on twitter and his response was "more OF advertising". Meh. Guess its needed but whatever.

I see several reasons for Opening Day optimism. We should be significantly improved in LF and 3B. I expect Viciedo to have a big year. No major drop-offs elsewhere. Robin is a year wiser.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 1m

Excited to have the one and only @TheBigHurt_35 back with Comcast SportsNet for 60 White Sox games this season!

Frank is so bad in the booth though. Ugh.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)

Perk up the optimism Greg. It's your duty as a "crazed" Sox fan to be hopeful in spring. So, in the spirit of looking on the bright side I will venture to try and give you hope for the positions you feel are average.

3B: Keppinger hit .325 last year and his OBP was .367. Most think it was probably a career year and certainly he didn't get a huge contract for those numbers but he is a huge improvement over what the Sox had last year. He will be 33 soon so maybe he was a late bloomer, but if he puts up the same type of numbers as last year Sox fans will love him. He hit nearly .500 in spring training so include that with how he did last year and you have to be optimistic.

CF. De Aza did very well in his 1st full season facing ML pitching so since it's spring lets just say he avoids the sophomore jinx and becomes an even better player. He does a lot of things well just nothing spectacular. I would gladly take a repeat performance from him.

LF : Viciedo's upside is really high. The highest of any player on the 25 man roster. Imagine if you will he hits 5-10 more HR's than last year , raises his batting average 25 points ,raises his RBI totals by 20 doubles the amount of walks he gets. The key to his improvement is how he does against RH pitchers and maintains what he did against LH's. This spring he hit very well against RH's , granted it may mean nothing but its better than sucking in spring.

2B: Plenty of room to improve here. Beckham's another low OBP player (Viciedo, Ramirez). Very good fielder and decent pop. This is most likely his make or break year. Reports are he added more muscle and looks quicker with the bat. He works so hard on getting better. I hope he does. He also had a good spring.

C: Sox fans loved AJ so that means Tyler will probably take the most heat from fans if he doesn't produce. You shouldn't be worried about him being better defensively than AJ because he will be and by a long shot. He's got a boat load of power so the only thing he has to do is make consistent contact and keep taking walks to be equal or better than equal to AJ.

I hope after reading this you feel more optimistic. No matter if the season turns out good or bad. Spring is the time for renewed hope and I see no reason for that not to be so with the Sox. Feel free to talk Sox baseball with me any time Greg weather here or via PM.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

The philosophy regarding baseball and sports in general over the last few years is to not worry about it and not get upset. Be excited to watch at the beginning of the year. Greg, your post makes you sound like you're dreading Opening Day. As far as I'm concerned, that is the 2nd best sporting day of the entire year. If you get all pissed off about how the Sox are doing or when they get in a slump, it's going to affect your personal life and letting a baseball team that doesn't know you affect you in that way is silly.

Being aware that guys suck and there are holes is no problem...that's just being an observant fan. Don't let it bother you. Just be a White Sox fan and get excited.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
I don't I like they got rid of the retired numbers on the OF wall. I always thought that was really neat. They better not have removed "The Catch."

It's even worse considering it's for ads. At lesst just about evryone gets a neat statue